Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

great characters make the best custscenes

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I still like them, but nothing will ever top the 3.3 one..

let them come! frostmourne hungers!

Arthas was just too awesome

still gives me goosebumps wow
    I think its the characters that make the cinematics come to life. yes, as you say, Arthas was too awesome!

The same stands for both Illidan, and then Deathwing when he stomps on stormwind as they were such epic characters. I giant mad dragon bent on world destruction is a good baseline for any character...

Some of the most memorable cinematics feature the best blizz characters. Firelands + Ragnaros for example. even going back to W3 when thrall and hellscream battle mannoroth! all great characters.

You could say that arthas/illidan as characters has been around for ages and have had years of character building, which would be true, but i feel that that is why their cutscenes have so much more of an effect when you see them.

I do agree with the original poster though based on the reason that, frankly, the panda characters were kinda weak and uninteresting (to me maybe) and not very well "fleshed out". There was little in the way of building momentum. Thunder king for EG, appeared one patch, dead 2 months later. kinda meh... could of made more of him.

My hope is that, as blizz are "going back in time" (yeah i don't like that as a rule) we can see more of this character building, and see cutscenes featuring awesome characters once again.

The best ones aren't even in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How are you defining cinematics? Cinematics tend to be the high-quality videos released pre-expansion. The patch videos are typically called trailers.
    For myself, I find it hard to single out just one because they're all very good in their own right. I love the WotLK and Cata cinematics, and they're the most notable ones for me.
    As for trailers, I think they all do a great job, even the 4.3 one which didn't bother with showing new animations (It was clips from boss fights and the in-game cinematics during the Deathwing fight), but still had an omnious feel to it. Hell, I even like the Storms of Azeroth trailer!:
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

icc and soo had the best ingame cinematics imo.
    wrath had the best expansion cinematic.

The Cata opening cinematic is their best one imo, and the D3 cinematics are great too despite the lore that follows it. Cinematics is like the one thing where Blizzard never fails.

As for patch trailers, the Siege of Orgrimmar one is definitely among the best imo, and I really like the Throne of Thunder one too.

Deleted
    still love all the cinematics!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    What WoW cinematics are best cinematics of any games out there.
    Thas a bold statement... and ofc totally wrong.

U can look at any video games awards and see Wow hasnt got anything. Blizzard did however win an award for their Diablo3 trailer, and deservedly so it was awesome, and definitely better than anything theyve done for Wow recently.

Diablo3 Trailer

And most people would agree that the TESO cinematics released have pissed all over the Wow ones, theyre worlds better than Wows videos. Watch all of them here...

I can understand fanboyism of the game itself, to compare it to others out there but to make a statement that Wows cinematics r better than any other games is laughable.

EDIT: i dont even play TESO so i am not fanboying another game i like.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2014-07-26 at 01:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been amazed by almost all cinematics after the Burning Crusade. Many good ones. I don't think they have lost any 'magic' with them.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I think the cinematics are all quality. WotLK set a bar for me that is too high to reach for all the subsequent offerings. It was my first view of a WoW cinematic. To this day it is incredible - a masterful mix of intense music and timing, writing (Teranas inspirational words that he intended for a loyal son voiced over a thoroughly wicked and corrupt son about to unleash Sindragosa and the Scourge), and mind-blowing animation (God, my father who was an animator for much of his career would have loved that).

----------------------
    (side comment on Wrathgate trailer here):
    When Wrathgate came out, I was like 'wtf is this?' (at that time I did not understanding the cycle/roles of cinematics vs patch trailers). While I felt the writing for Wrathgate was great (esp the ending), the typical stupidity of Fordragon & Saurfang annoyed (Highlord Fordragon: "I was wondering if you'd show up!" Dranosh Saurfang: "I couldn't let the Alliance have ALL the fun today!" = stupid attempts at tough guy humor that would resurface in 5.4 at the end) was annoying. I also thought it looked generally cheesy. However, the music was great, Putridus' dialogue and voice was utterly fantastic, and watching the Red Dragonflight come torch everything and then fly off to the music made me wonder "WTF just happened???" Story was told well with an unnecessary sell-out to tough guy humor. The battle 'arghs' weren't too inspiring either. Putridus FTW! Oh make that Alexstrasza.
    -----------------------

DW cinematic was actually a disappointment for me. Voice for DW seemed seriously wrong - it's the voice of a big-ass Orc or humanoid badass. Needed to have a metallic filter effect or something on it to make it sound less humanoid and more sinister and dragon-like (which is to say, less human). The actual DW dialogue was very cliche and uninspiring. However, if I turn sound off, I am blown away by the artwork. Fantastic and jaw-dropping. This says to me that the voice/dialogue was poorly matched to the quality of the graphic arts. So to me, a real letdown for what could have been something equal to WotLK intro. Not even gonna bother on music commentary. Was there any? Should there have been when it's all about fire? Dunno.

MoP was interesting. Non-character art was incredible (ships and island terrain/vegetation). Attempts at humor during fight were a downer (humor needs to be funny to be humor, otherwise it's just an attempt at cuteness. And wtf does it have to do in a battle scene?). Quality of the animation was high, although a certain toonishness to the characters now is disappointing to me. Looking back at original cinematic and remembering the skeletal face of the warlock as he threw up a bony hand and torched the murlocs in the swamp (great); over-active faces of toons now, not so great (technically strong work, but thematically blah). But anyhow.... a lot to like nonetheless. Keeping dialogue to the end was great as the viewer got to see some of Panderia after the mist cleared. TZ's demeanor at the end showed how the Pandaren were different. Music wasn't very standout, which is a shame because game music could be overwhelming at times. Overall, a miss on a few levels for me.

Not doing the first two (loved em for what they were - some great animation). Rather analyze than rank all of them. I think at times things flow together and at other times things miss. For this reason, I think WotLK was great, DW a miss for a simple reason (voice issue), and MoP more a frustration (great and poop going on at once). But each had some incredible strengths.

What I see more than anything is a consistency to put out something that really marks what the particular xpac theme is about. But at the same time, a certain inconsistency to get it to all flow together to be truly great. Go back to whoever did WotLK and put that person in charge. I often feel with Blizzard there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Way too many. Exception to this is their music, which reigns supreme of all their work, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Thas a bold statement... and ofc totally wrong.
    Point made - it is over the top, I agree. It's a subjective issue; best, wrong, right, worst is relative. Who doesn't grasp that? Apparently a lot of us.

And most people would agree that the TESO cinematics released have pissed all over the Wow ones, theyre worlds better than Wows videos.
    From the standpoint of graphics, it's incredible. Telling a story, alluding to a theme, etc? Miserable. Stylistically, whenever I see those pathetic quick inserts of slo-mo, I know I'm looking at weakness. That is weakness. But I do think the detail and other things is incredible. But like the game, the cinematics lacks soul. Huge damn flash, but nothing is really said, is it?

but to make a statement that Wows cinematics r better than any other games is laughable.
    Again, I agree. No one need be making BS statements like that.

In the end, it's about whether the cinematics of a given game do the job for the player. Going all the way back to WC2, I can say that of the games I've played, Warcraft/WoW consistently do it better than others. I've played a lot of games and not seen too many that are great storytellers that thrill or inspire me to play. Combat scenes? Screw that - just watch a damn war movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    they're no longer just a bunch of random characters casting crap in various random scenes with no relation or link to anything.
    But in fact, for Vanilla that was exactly what was appropriate, because the game was about us entering the world. It was about races & classes and for the first one, spot on. Post-vanilla was the time to expand on story (which of course they did). So nothing wrong or weak with #1, imo.
    Last edited by thebelltolleth; 2014-07-26 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebelltolleth View Post

But in fact, for Vanilla that was exactly what was appropriate, because the game was about us entering the world. It was about races & classes and for the first one, spot on. Post-vanilla was the time to expand on story (which of course they did). So nothing wrong or weak with #1, imo.
    Yep that was my point that I commented on. Didn't mean it as a "weak point" just that, later videos changed for this good reason and that the magic has only been increasing due to it.

because they no longer have to sell that "mmo feel" of us being players in the world, that the first cinematic had to sell by displaying these random characters (us) doing stuff in the world.

if you look at TBC, you'll see more random characters but then it starts interlacing some story elements with Illidan being present. Then the next expansion, blizzard now NO longer has to prove itself and is a well known industry force. It can focus wholely on the expansion elements itself.

It's a well known marketing element cycle. Starting business's or a new product of an veteran business, have to inform people of what they're selling, but once that business or product is established, you get imaginative and start getting fancy, to keep the product fresh in peoples minds.

In MoP the cinematics were very poor. Also dont confuse cinematics with cutscenes.. which were also poor in mop.