Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Legendarys as Drops Again? Was This Bad in TBC?

I just came back recently and the whole legendary cloak thing seems kind of lame to me. I hear the concept isn't too well received by others either. It's a legendary everyone can get which makes it kind of well...not legendary. Worst part is from what I hear it makes your DPS un-competitive to those without the cloak....meaning if I wanted to get it I would have to do ToT LFR.....and I despise doing LFR.

Now the issue with Heroics as they were previously is that your guild would literally funnel resources into one player. I remember the first person to recieve a Shadowmourne in my guild ended up leaving, I mean hell it made him far more appealing to other guilds. In TBC however Legendary items simply dropped off the highest end final bosses, Illidian and Kil'jaeden. Here there were no resources dumped into one player so if he left later oh well w/e not as big of a loss in terms of economics. These items while lacking the epic feel of a legendary quest line were still had that legendary feel since it required you to take down the strongest bosses in the game.

So would it be a good idea to just have legendarys become drops once again, off of Heroic mode final bosses that is. There were a few problems with this older model, while I would see guilds with several Warglaives others just had bad luck, also I heard the more complete Warglaives you had the easier the gear check of Brutallus in Sunwell Plateau was.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the legendary questline although it was only something I did once on one character. I couldn't find the dedication to do it again. I wouldn't want to see the game return to "drop legendaries". I think the legendary questline made the game and its story far, far more personal to those who did it from the start. To me it seems that the people who complain the most are those who want to feel special and better than others.

The problem with the droprate of Warglaives is that you could kill the boss every week during the whole TBC and never get one, while some other guild could receive 3-4 within a month, it happened. Nihilum were at the time the highest ranked guild in the world and they had no Warglaives. My guild had 4 Warglaives.. One of those rogues made a big song and dance "i'm quitting wow" post on the forums (guild and server) before renaming his character and server transfering... The other Warglaive rogue went AFK shortly after Sunwell came out.

But our guild was no Nihilum, we were the 2nd best on the Horde of our server and so that made us server 4th behind the top two alliance guilds. I saw one off-hand drop (which went to the guilds other DPS Warrior, a guild veteran/officer) and I did not see another Warglaive drop until well into Cataclysm, and yes I was farming it an an almost weekly basis for that whole time.

Fast forward to Wrath of the Lich King and the Legendary model was "It's not easy, but if you keep at it you will get it within a reasonable time frame" and so we farmed our Legendary healer Mace... yes our healer went afk and did not raid with us much through T9/T10... Then came Shadowmourne and it was the same system, it was not easy to get a Shadowmourne and for anyone outside of a Heroic 25man guild it was going to take some time, infusing the weapon was like doing a boss achievement on bosses that weren't easy... But I got my Shadowmourne after our Guild Master, and so did our DK. We were an 11/12Hc farming guild, not many guilds actually "farmed" LK 25man HC.

I still haven't got both my Warglaives, I got Shadowmourne over 4 years ago.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-08-21 at 06:02 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I loved the legendary questline although it was only something I did once on one character. I couldn't find the dedication to do it again. I wouldn't want to see the game return to "drop legendaries". I think the legendary questline made the game and its story far, far more personal to those who did it from the start. To me it seems that the people who complain the most are those who want to feel special and better than others.
    Think they should keep such legendary questlines, for Rings and such like they are doing in WoD. But I think they should return Legendary Weapons as drops.

Deleted
    Just dropping an item doesn't feel quite legendary. Story makes them what they are. So an epic questline connected with a legendary should be a minumum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like people are more stuck on story than gameplay.
    Hey everyone

Random ass question: Was there any lore behind the legendary bow that dropped off sunwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    Just dropping an item doesn't feel quite legendary. Story makes them what they are. So an epic questline connected with a legendary should be a minumum.
    I think killing a final boss on Heroic is Legendary enough. With the LFR system many people aren't even motivated to clear raids as they were intended to be cleared. I mean watching a boss drop on just a higher difficulty isn't as exciting as it was when it was the only difficulty. If he drops orangez it could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Expersona View Post
    Random ass question: Was there any lore behind the legendary bow that dropped off sunwell?
    No official stated lore.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are handling it in the best way possible. The ring for all who are willing to put in the time over a series of months/expac and much much more difficult legendary's for those with considerable skill above and beyond the average player. +1 Blizz (and I don't say that very often).

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    I just came back recently and the whole legendary cloak thing seems kind of lame to me. I hear the concept isn't too well received by others either.
    By whiners who want to be special snowflakes. The rest of us don't really mind.

Worst part is from what I hear it makes your DPS un-competitive to those without the cloak....meaning if I wanted to get it I would have to do ToT LFR.....and I despise doing LFR.
    All quest items drop in normal and heroic mode too, don't need to go into LFR if you don't want to.

Here there were no resources dumped into one player so if he left later oh well w/e not as big of a loss in terms of economics.
    Tell that to the guilds who were trying to progress Sunwell. Brutallus didn't die without at least one pair of legendaries, M'uru without 3-4 pairs because it was so stupidly overtuned.

These items while lacking the epic feel of a legendary quest line were still had that legendary feel since it required you to take down the strongest bosses in the game.
    What point is in an item that drops from end of expansion boss and you use it only for questing in next expansion? The current way in MoP was better where you got the legendary item before starting the last tier and it actually benefitted you there.

So would it be a good idea to just have legendarys become drops once again, off of Heroic mode final bosses that is.
    In WoD there is going to be one long quest chain spanning whole expansion for a ring, and in addition there is supposed to be another legendary item that drops from real raids only.

It's a legendary everyone can get which makes it kind of well...not legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    What else can be more legendary in WoW than a fucking 100 steps long quest chain that spans over year of patches and multiple raid tiers? Only something that spans multiple expansions, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Expersona View Post
    Nope.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-08-21 at 06:15 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, it was bad. You got your Legendary when everything was already clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a legendary everyone can get which makes it kind of well...not legendary.
    sounds like you are confusing Legendary with Rare, and by rare i mean amount. the legendary is still legendary thanks to the questline, lore and requirements. it is just available to the biggest majority of players.

having these powerful items be simple drops is not very legendary without the lore, epic quests, and personal accomplishments needed to attain it and be able to wield such power in the first place.

you can still have rare legendaries without making them be strictly RNG drops. so no i dont think they should be reserved to just low drop rates. might narrow the classes that can go after a legendary but still keep in the personal accomplishments needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I just came back recently and the whole legendary cloak thing seems kind of lame to me. I hear the concept isn't too well received by others either. It's a legendary everyone can get which makes it kind of well...not legendary. Worst part is from what I hear it makes your DPS un-competitive to those without the cloak....meaning if I wanted to get it I would have to do ToT LFR.....and I despise doing LFR.
    Ya, No.. You never once have to step foot in LFR for the legendary cloak quest.

Yes, I loved drop legendaries.
    They were rewards for raiding actively and needed some luck.
    Where as the legendary cloak we got now, requires 4 months of AFKing in LFR and became a mandatory for raiding, so no character switching before doing the 4 month shitchain.

10+ Year Old Account
    there's effort,
    there's luck,
    and there're skill...

Legendary items should require all three. Effort means grinding *(or a time committment), luck means RNG, and skill means difficult game play.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2014-08-21 at 06:25 PM.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Drop legendaries are the best way to do it. They're not farmable so they don't blow up game balance.

The thunderfurry model is the best, rare drop(s) that start a legendary quest that requires some time / effort / farming.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

keep it to quests, they've been more interesting that way and more can be done with them.
    drops its just a skill-less RNG luck-fest as to if your raid will even get one which can and will fuck people over.

They should change it a bit. Like make something that drops from a boss(how the garrosh heirlooms work anybody in raid has a chance and multiple can get it in the same raid) then turn it into someone like wrathion or whatever and then you do a questline for the actual legendary item. That way you have to kill a boss in a raid (the end boss for that tier) and then you still get the storyline to go with it helping it feel more "legendary". This way not everyone gets it (making it really a requirement to join a good guild) and it isn't as bad as RNG was back in TBC.