10+ Year Old Account

Life in the Dark Ages(Vanilla)?

Background on myself. I started playing the game in, flying was in full effect and all that jazz. Now I do remember having to (as a hunter) stock up on ammo, mana oils for my weapons, scrolls, buff food for myself, and buff food for my pet, potions, flasks, etc. With the coming of WoD closer and no flying for at least the first set of content we are gonna be on foot for a while. How did people do it back in the dark ages chasing after flowers and mining? Did you guys skip leets that surrounded good nodes? Not trying to ruffle feathers or anything I was just curious how much prep went into farming and what you guys and glas had to do before raiding.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

For farming, you'd just go through the same path, into the same areas, over and over again, and if things surrounded a node, you'd either cc it, or kill it and hope someone doesn't pop up and take the node while you're killing the thing.

Pretty much the same thing most people do now, I suppose, but...slower, obviously.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-21 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    I'll be diplomatic and say that the game was never better or worse, just appealed to a different kind of player.

On the subject of the older game, playing through the Scourge campaign in WC3 is making me nostalgic for Wrath of the Lich King

Summoning 4 water at a time, needing at least two full stacks per caster or healer for a 40 man raid. Could do perhaps 2-3 stacks before running out of mana and having to drink before summoning more water. I once had a random guy in IF (yes, Iron Forge was the Alliance capital back then, Stormwind was deserted mostly, and Undercity was the Horde capital) pay me something like 50-100g (a decent sum back then) to summon water for his 40 man raid that was waiting in MC, but had no Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, that's how you had to do it in the classic WoW days. If there was a mineral deposit high on the mountain you had to climb it on foot and sometimes it would spawn in a place where it's literally impossible to get like on a really steep hill that you can't climb up so you just had to skip it and move on. Same with areas that had elites surrounding them. Usually I would just skip those too but other times I was able to sneak by them and take it without having to fight them. To be honest WoW back then felt more like a RPG than it does today. Today it feels more like a hack and slash with RPG elements in it. I still enjoy myself with WoW but sometimes I wish WoW felt more like how it was back then where some things actually mattered like knowing fire, ice, arcane, nature, and shadow spells won't work on fire, ice, arcane, nature, and shadow elementals or having spells like holy spells being extra effective against undead and demons. Now anything goes. You can kill a fire elemental with fire spells and ice elementals with ice spells and so on and it just doesn't make any sense. In my mind I imagine an elemental would just absorb it's own magic element and just laugh at you for being stupid enough to use a spell that it can absorb.

I think in some areas of the game today like what I just mentioned has been way too over simplified to a point where it just becomes a little ridiculous and I ask myself "was that really necessary?".
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2014-08-21 at 10:43 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Redpanda View Post
    Background on myself. I started playing the game in, flying was in full effect and all that jazz. Now I do remember having to (as a hunter) stock up on ammo, mana oils for my weapons, scrolls, buff food for myself, and buff food for my pet, potions, flasks, etc. With the coming of WoD closer and no flying for at least the first set of content we are gonna be on foot for a while. How did people do it back in the dark ages chasing after flowers and mining? Did you guys skip leets that surrounded good nodes? Not trying to ruffle feathers or anything I was just curious how much prep went into farming and what you guys and glas had to do before raiding.
    For the most part you could avoid combat by farming as a druid and using soothe on animal types or cat stealth. Since animals were the most common in material farming heavy areas this was the best bet. Still, it was much easier to farm the elites in eastern plague lands and just buy your mats from people who couldn't farm elites easily.

That's how I remember it, but it has been a really long time.