Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Ill continue to arena as mutilate. I expect to see more mutilate rogues like vicious season. But in the end I expect sub still to dominate the 2.2k+ ladder for rogues (50% or more).
    I will possibly swap around to sub when I get bored. I've had no problem getting 2.2 and sometimes 2.4 most seasons as mutilate. It will be more viable than ever, that I can say with confidence.
    Last edited by lifteez; 2014-09-23 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

I don't want to interfere with all the dick measuring going on here

but I've played maybe 25 hours in ashran on my rogue, and personally, I've found Assassin to be the most FUN. whether it's the best or not, I can't say.

Can only report it's the most fun.

All 3 specs are good as they've ever been

this is the first time in ages where I am hard pressed to pick a 'best' spec.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHolder View Post
    cant stand people like this." Differing opinions? Something must be wrong with you."
    Not an opinion but a fact. Assassination is objectively by far the most simple and superficial spec we have. It's also the spec least effective in pvp. The only times it has ever been effective have been when the numbers weren't tuned right. If someone wishes for our most basic spec to become the most effective then effectively he's asking for it to be over-tuned and for sub to be nerfed, which would be very bad for this class and not something good players should welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHolder View Post
    your probably right it was a long time ago and I didnt play a rogue then I am unsure of exactly when shadowstep stopped being lolstep only usable in stealth before that happened yes everyone played combat maces not shadowstep Hemo, after the buff Sub ruled the expansion in pvp.

I say its debatable that Sub was strongest in season 5 because sub gained shadow dance and still had shadowstep in good hands the class could still perform very well with that spec but season 5 was just garbage Deathknights were everywhere and were extremely overpowered and no rogue spec could effectively penetrate armor everyone started playing classic Mutilate because it did the most damage at 80 with gear but I dont think the Pro players were ready to admit it was now fact that Mutilate was the way to go over sub, many rogues still tried to play hemo and play around with shadow dance until after that season it was confirmed Subs damage was too pitiful and everyone played mutilate minus those that absolutely hated the spec. All muti had that sub didnt was good damage, Mutilate the combo builder would sometimes take people to half health on one hit.

so maybe it IS more accurate to say season 1 and 2 was Combat dominated while 3 and 4 of TBC were sub and 5-7 was Mutilate.
    Sub was awful in season 5 because mutilate and envenom did over-tuned damage and sub had huge flaws. The main one being that backstab was awful back then and you needed a ton of weapon switch macros to go from hemo to dancing with ambush. If you look past the OP trifecta of season 5 (DK, paladin, hunter) assassination rogues were the next strongest spec. No one played sub until season 8 or so, because sub required a lot of armour pen to get damage out, and it was only when people started stacking ICC gear and backstab got buffed that sub came into its own.
    Last edited by lolpve; 2014-09-23 at 01:06 PM.

Blood DK all the way unless they completely fubared the class.

As a Rogue who was forced abandon Mutilate for Sub this expansion, I've been having a lot of fun playing Assassination again on the Beta.

Damage is better than it's ever been.

we'll just have to wait and see I would not bet any money on anything but Sub showing up on the ladders as usual. It has been sub or bust since 2010 thats four years ago coming up on 5 in 2015.

If sub is under performing in arena it will get buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Patch 2.3 (season 3) that happened but it wasn't just that pushed everyone to sub then. Also that patch cheat death got buffed to 100% proc chance and give 90% dmg reduction for 3secs which was bugged and was 99%, hemo dmg buffed, Dirty deeds changed to buff dmg under 35% by 20%. They pushed sub hard to be the pvp spec then.
    HARP was still a combat spec because it had more points in combat than sub (really I'd say its neither and it is a hybrid spec, but if you're going to label it as one or the other...). The only reason people switched to sub was that they broke HARP.

I believe it was still S3 when sub took over, but it was a later patch.

Deleted
    From my beta experience i've enjoyed playing assassination with shadowstep and DfA.

Assassination builds the combo points faster with the energy dump, and the burst is huge. There's less control, definitely, but nothing will ever match jumping around with shadow dance and the cheap shot/garrote potential. But assassinations pressure feels really good 1v1.

On the other hand, i've had good experiences with a subtlety combo of Hemo > Cheap shot > Ambush > Evisc > MfD > DfA all in find weakness for some major damage, yet a little reliant on luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    On the other hand, i've had good experiences with a subtlety combo of Hemo > Cheap shot > Ambush > Evisc > MfD > DfA all in find weakness for some major damage, yet a little reliant on luck.
    That's the thing about Sub. It's damage is extreme. Only if you crt...

Assassination's damage is extreme. Just on it's own.

Sub is slightly behind Assassination in terms of accessible damage.

Though both specs are powerful.

I would never play a sub rogue because I really hate the Shadow Dance mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    I would never play a sub rogue because I really hate the Shadow Dance mechanic.
    yes i hate it too id rather not have something like that to worry about every minute everyone just tells me to play a warrior instead which I have tried and warrior just bores me I cant even get one to max level yet I have 2 rogues and I could easily stomach leveling a third but Id be stuck with the same dilemma desiring to pvp but not as sub.