We have seen evil users of the Light, but not so many Good Shadowmancers/Warlocks

Is it just me or does blizzard seem to lack any "dark heroes" barring maybe Bolvar, Darion and the Ebon Blade and Lilian Voss.

Most exclusively there are virtually "no" "neutral/slightly good" Warlocks in the setting as of present that are genuinely heroic.

Rogues are another one that's on the lacking side, you technically have Valeria but she hasn't been around for ages.

I dunno, I can understand Fel being cliche evil and demons being muahahaha but what I don't get is why we have yet to have a genuine warlock hero or dark hero that isn't a death knight/scarlet experiment.

If anyone can point out a few noteworthy faces feel free, but I cant really see any at the moment.

Deleted
    because a genuinely good person doesn't become a warlock in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    because a genuinely good person doesn't become a warlock in the first place.
    If Death Knights can redeem themselves what about a Warlock? Is there no one that would sacrifice themselves for the dark powers they would need to try and save this world? If Warlocks are truly that pure of evil, corruption, and power I don't see why they were even playable...

"All power demands sacrifice".

Both demonic and old-god powers demand that their users commit various atrocities both upon themselves and others.
    If you are unwilling to do those acts, you will not progress beyond the most basic spells.

Continuously using warlock and old-god magic corrupts your mind, soul and body.
    Being in contact or communication with demons or old-gods (be it hostile or friendly) also often results in corruption and madness.

Good-hearted people who start dabbling into demonic or old-god magic tend to lose their goodness and, over time, decay into either an evil character - or a neutral (often crazy) person.
    Best you can have is something like Ebon Blade, Illidan, Kael'thas or Sylvanas - in all cases, characters who are either nutz or you are sure they will go nutz soon...

They keep blowing their chances by killing off the majority of characters that are even remotely morally grey. In turn this makes for a dull story as not everybody sympathises with or finds the generic holier-than-thou 'heroes' to be interesting.

There was an undead Warlock in Med'an's story who was sort of good. Can't remember his name. I think there were some mentions that Medivh could handle using Warlock magic quite easily (his general overall knowledge of magic, experience with demons, and exposure to Sargeras having a lot to do with that), although his main character class was Mage.

But yeah, it's pretty hard to find a good aligned Warlock. I imagine a lot of them are going to be "gray hats" at the very most.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-09-22 at 03:56 PM.

the council of six is working towards good. Albeit they're still warlocks and behave so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    There was an undead Warlock in Med'an's story who was sort of good. Can't remember his name. I think there were some mentions that Medivh could handle using Warlock magic quite easily (his general overall knowledge of magic, experience with demons, and exposure to Sargeras having a lot to do with that), although his main character class was Mage.

But yeah, it's pretty hard to find a good aligned Warlock. I imagine a lot of them are going to be "gray hats" at the very most.
    Meryl Felstorm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read Christie Golden's books, I've been surprised at how often she includes warlock appearances in the alliance forces doing their part.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    If Death Knights can redeem themselves what about a Warlock? Is there no one that would sacrifice themselves for the dark powers they would need to try and save this world? If Warlocks are truly that pure of evil, corruption, and power I don't see why they were even playable...

Deathknights were in a different situation than Warlocks. A Warlock was not made a Warlock against thier will. It was a choice to delve into the dark arts.

It's true that not all DKs were forced,but you would never hear of a Warlock that was forced into their role.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Read Christie Golden's books, I've been surprised at how often she includes warlock appearances in the alliance forces doing their part.
    I'm pretty sure she plays Warlock. Wouldn't be surprised if that warlock chick who helped Varian in War Crimes was her character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    "All power demands sacrifice".

Both demonic and old-god powers demand that their users commit various atrocities both upon themselves and others.
    If you are unwilling to do those acts, you will not progress beyond the most basic spells.

Continuously using warlock and old-god magic corrupts your mind, soul and body.
    Being in contact or communication with demons or old-gods (be it hostile or friendly) also often results in corruption and madness.

Good-hearted people who start dabbling into demonic or old-god magic tend to lose their goodness and, over time, decay into either an evil character - or a neutral (often crazy) person.
    Best you can have is something like Ebon Blade, Illidan, Kael'thas or Sylvanas - in all cases, characters who are either nutz or you are sure they will go nutz soon...
    The single exception being Sir Zeliek from Naxx. He maintained his good heart and control over Light magic despite being turned into a Death Knight.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

If Death Knights can redeem themselves what about a Warlock? Is there no one that would sacrifice themselves for the dark powers they would need to try and save this world?
    There is a pretty big difference between Death Knights and Warlocks. The majority of Death Knights were pawns of the Lich King and forcibly turned against their will to perform those unspeakable acts of cruelty, meaning what they did wasn't theri fault, they were being controlled.

Warlocks aren't being controlled, they turned to demonic magic in search of power, and some may have been corrupted as a result of this power but that's not the same as being controlled. Genuinely good people don't turn to demonic magic for power, they would turn to the light or something far less sinister.

That said, there are non-evil warlocks that would be akin to someone like The Punisher, Hellboy, and pretty much every other anti-hero out there. They aren't evil, and they fight against the "bad guys" but you really can't call them "good" either.

A warlock can at best be an anti-hero. There is nothing heroic about being a warlock.

There are good shadow priests however, both the Auchenai Soulpriests and the arakkoa Talonpriests are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Death knights didn't choose their faith and warlocks do I guess. They might fight for "good" but at the end of the day they still enslave demons and force them to do their bidding.

The gnome who summoned jaraxxus was technically a good guy though?

Deleted
    Player Warlocks are good guys, as they enslave demons to fight the burning legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Is it just me or does blizzard seem to lack any "dark heroes" barring maybe Bolvar, Darion and the Ebon Blade and Lilian Voss.

Most exclusively there are virtually "no" "neutral/slightly good" Warlocks in the setting as of present that are genuinely heroic.

Rogues are another one that's on the lacking side, you technically have Valeria but she hasn't been around for ages.

I dunno, I can understand Fel being cliche evil and demons being muahahaha but what I don't get is why we have yet to have a genuine warlock hero or dark hero that isn't a death knight/scarlet experiment.

If anyone can point out a few noteworthy faces feel free, but I cant really see any at the moment.
    Garona springs to mind for me as a heroic rogue.

The closest we get to rogues in the RTS days where prolly night elves and even they where not very rogue like.

Remember warlocks got their power from KJ who got his from Sargeras. Its a baseline evil power.

The magic itself draws life and souls from its victims. Its evil as fuck

Who would you describe as evil users of holy magic?

Arthas was more chaotic good then actual evil before he turned DK and lost his light powers.

Afaik "fallen" light users turn to dark magics and looses their connection to the light

Also unless something changed Death knights are basicly revived warlocks. So at some point they did choose to use dark/evil magics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Wilfred Fizzlebang.

Honestly, it doesn't seem terribly difficult as we know that Observers and a few other demons don't "demand" anything of their users other than food and adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Wilfred Fizzlebang.
    <Master Summoner>
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Wilfred Fizzlebang.
    Most of people laughed too hard on that "triffling gnome" situation to notice.