<Boomkins> JS or Windsong?

I haven't noticed any posts on this question yet so I figured I would ask it myself..

With Int no longer giving crit and being devalued, is it worth enchanting with Windsong now?

Good question! I know that it supposedly has become better for mages.

Would I personally bother with changing it 3 weeks from expansion release? Probably not.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Oh I definitely wouldn't bother, was only asking as I got a new weapon that I was looking to enchant and wasn't going to waste 10 Crystals if I didnt have to

I did a quick test in SimCraft (simc-602-5-win64) with my 587 moonkin using a mastery-heavy reforging and Incarnation for a few different fight styles (450 sec fights, 20% length variation, 10000 iterations):

Patchwerk, 1 target
    JS 18553
    WS 18561

Patchwerk, 3 targets
    JS 30658
    WS 30632

Heavy Movement, 1 target
    JS 14412
    WS 14419

Heavy Movement, 3 targets
    JS 28442
    WS 28412

They are statistically identical in these sims. The 95% confidence intervals were overlapping in each test. They are so close that at first I was suspicious I entered something incorrectly, but if I look at buff uptimes I definitely see Jade Spirit in the JS sims and the three Windsong procs in the WS sims. (Jade Spirit uptime is 42% and Windsong uptime is 16% for each of the three procs.)

However, Windsong will become worse and worse relative to Jade Spirit as you level up and rating conversions devalue the stats from Windsong. So if it is a weapon you will use while leveling, you might as well go for Jade Spirit. (The overall proc rates may decrease as you level too, but presumably they will do so at the same rate. I'm not actually sure how that works.)
    Last edited by Tarm; 2014-10-24 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarm View Post
    I did a quick test in SimCraft (simc-602-5-win64) with my 587 moonkin using a mastery-heavy reforging and Incarnation for a few different fight styles (450 sec fights, 20% length variation, 10000 iterations):

Patchwerk, 1 target
    JS 18553
    WS 18561

Patchwerk, 3 targets
    JS 30658
    WS 30632

Heavy Movement, 1 target
    JS 14412
    WS 14419

Heavy Movement, 3 targets
    JS 28442
    WS 28412

They are statistically identical in these sims. The 95% confidence intervals were overlapping in each test. They are so close that at first I was suspicious I entered something incorrectly, but if I look at buff uptimes I definitely see Jade Spirit in the JS sims and the three Windsong procs in the WS sims. (Jade Spirit uptime is 42% and Windsong uptime is 16% for each of the three procs.)

However, Windsong will become worse and worse relative to Jade Spirit as you level up and rating conversions devalue the stats from Windsong. So if it is a weapon you will use while leveling, you might as well go for Jade Spirit. (The overall proc rates may decrease as you level too, but presumably they will do so at the same rate. I'm not actually sure how that works.)
    thank you for a legitimately valuable post.

Since I'll probably re-enchant my boa as I level, I'll stick with windsong.

Thanks for the replies guys!