Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    People lose their focus if there is unnecessary hassle going on in TeamSpeak and most of the raid leaders and even regular raiders don't want to be spending their freetime more than necessary on farming SoO for the 47th time. Of course you can do trash talking with trash etc but tbh I don't think no one wants to know how much pussy you got last night in middle of fight where there are tons of shit going on at the same time. It's just a plain fact that people will play better when focused fully and that's what raid leaders want in top guilds, to see your guild do better and not worse when the weeks go by.

Wait.

People still use TeamSpeak? Is Vent not a thing anymore? (serious question)

Signature by Shyama!

My Guild Death Destruction Mayhem Gaming Community Since 1999, is a serious raiding guild. But our philosophy is that we can clear content all the while having a good time and building a community of friends. We have amazing raid leads and officers who promote fair play, and offer help if you're struggling. We do not carry though, so if after our help, you still cannot perform, well unfortunatly I have 24 other raiders I need to take care of, We do not yell or abuse members, But we may ask someone not to raid, if they cannot improve

www.fraghard.com/wow

Deleted
    the trick is to finding a very high end guild that doesn't have people with sticks up their asses, generally you'll see it immediately from their website/app post guide person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    Might as well ask for a politically correct drill sergeant.
    Slightly off topic, but drill sergeants these days actually are very PC. Too many lawsuits, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuri-tan View Post
    Wait.

It's gotten more popular recently, I don't know why. TS is not bad, but vent has dat nostalgia.

I think it more has to do with the incompatibility of care bears and 'actually getting bosses down' (for most guilds that is). Mythic raiders have to be good and they have to be on their shit. If someone is failing then there should be someone there to tell them that they are failing, and to make sure that they don't just blow them off. A 20 man raid group with a raid leader that tip toes around people's feelings and lets the failures go on failing isn't a 20 man raid group that is going to work. I really don't want to fail in my raid group, because the GM/raid leader will get on me, and he won't be quiet about it, so you know what I do? I take extra precaution to avoid doing the wrong things or messing up.

Plus, it probably also has to do with your opinion being that anyone who isn't a care bear is adolf hitler (ie: you equating virtually any standards or constructive criticism to naziism). Most hardcore guilds are probably not fulfilling the obvious hyperbole that you're describing. If you wanna raid in a progression guild then get skilled, grow some thicker skin and stop complaining about people expecting you to do your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuri-tan View Post
    Wait.

Teamspeak is better imo. I have used both (more of vent though) and I have found TS to just be a better communication device.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-10-24 at 06:05 PM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Deleted
    It's always been that way OP, I've been playing since 04 and I've done some serious hardcore raiding around mid TBC to mid wrath (stopped after Ulduar) I'm not sure whether its because these people are usually social outcasts that are only good at one specific thing, whether MMOs in general just attract socially awkward people or because they can get away with abuse over the internet, I can damn well assure you the vast majority of them would shit themselves in a real life conflict.

Over the years of playing (been here pretty much non-stop except for cata and Pandaria) I've met a very small number of people that were hardcore raiders and nice people. The vast majority were just arseholes, especially one Fin in particular I'll never forget that turned out to be in the closet. (He's a lovely person now.) That's not to say every hardcore raider is an arsehole but in general most I've met are very cliquey, uptight people with the personality of a repulsive e-jock and I wouldn't trust them with a stack of rugged leather. Being an abusive twat and acting like a spoilt child well in to your twenties is only really dismissable if you have severe learning difficulties.

I honestly think some people have so little in their lives that the accomplishments in game go straight to their head and really mess with their ego, in vanilla in particular I can recall a good number of people that went a little strange after hardcore raiding. Once their gear was good, they had a small group of circle jerking idiots and because they were much better players they were twisted with a sense of entitlement and holier than thou mentality.

Keep in mind I'M NOT SAYING EVERYONE is like this, these are my own personal experiences I'm speaking from. The best advise I'd give is to do your own thing casually with friends, it'll take some time but it's worth it. On a final note some of the best raid leaders I've met didn't get their message across with abuse, just a firm, respectful tone and in the case of failure quietly letting people down. Embarrassing someone other voice chat is both inane and pathetic, no self respecting raid leader I've met that was actually good did that.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2014-11-01 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Wow is too easy. it doesn't require a drill sergeant. All it requires is that the raid leader selects raiders that are willing to wipe 20x every nite. That's it. It doesn't matter how good someone is, if they quit after 5 wipes, you get rid of them and bring in the next one. You don't need to shout. You don't even need to push people.
    I don't know what level you are raiding on, but having 50% of your raid farting around not trying to do their best DPS, no trying very hard to do mechanics properly and not listening to the strats is NOT an effective way to raid.

Maybe you are lucky and somehow got 20 people who are just naturally on their game every second of every day, but most guilds don't just have a group of hundreds of players to pull from till they find their perfect 20 people that don't require incentive to actually raid or try to kill bosses.

Actual yelling isn't required, but not pushing people to do their best is the first thing you can do to fail as a raid leader.

80% of our realm thinks our guild is full of assholes, because we are more progressed than them, and that's pretty much the only reason... seriously we've asked them. It's always "Well, somebody else said you guys were assholes." and then that somebody else was also told by somebody else. So on and so forth, where we become increasingly evil because one guy got butthurt at one of our raiders linking their achievement in /2.

I really like my guild, and it has lots of cool and nice people, but like I said the raid leader has to push its raiders. A raid leader acting like Mr. Rogers is going to reduce your amount of progression.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-10-24 at 06:15 PM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

I doubt you've been in most guilds with good performance so are in no position to make that kind of judgement. How many guilds have you actually been in ? There's plenty of good guilds that don't have ranty abusive raid leaders. I generally play worse in such an atmosphere and i'm sure that goes for many others. Being pissed off an irritated by some dickish raid leader doesn't make people play better in my opinion.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-10-24 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post

I really like my guild, and it has lots of cool and nice people, but like I said the raid leader has to push its raiders. A raid leader acting like Mr. Rogers is going to reduce your amount of progression.
    You don't have to be an abusive twat to push people to do better. One of the best people managers I ever met was a really nice guy. Full of smiles and charismatic. He didn't tolerate shit or bad performance but he never ever used put-downs or shouted at people to get the best out of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get me wrong, I don't generalize, I just find it hard to find people in this game with good performance that don't act like adolf hitler/special snow flakes on teamspeak or on raid chat. e.g. "I will <insert extremely offensive word here> you if you fail" like they are entitled to abuse.
    I think you clearly find the wrong people. I know many great players that are everything but not special.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Deleted
    Yeah well, I've been in serious raiding guilds but I've never had any issues. Sure, the RL gets serious sometimes and cusses but it's okay, we know it's just the heat of the moment or just frustration on the nth try of a particular boss. HC raiding is a pain in the arse and people get antsy and aggressive when something drops and more than one person needs it so I usually just shut up, sit back and let my RL decide.

I have done a lot of pugs and generally you get good natured people on vent, but every once in a while you will get a group that banded together because they all share the same asshole eye level viewpoint and those are the ones that you remember being bad.

I have joined a group once of complete hardcore elitists who breathed superiority complex and exhaled hatred, and thier warlock crowed that he would school me on DPS. I beat thier warlock in dps who had all heroic gear and a few pieces of mythic and all I had was half normal half heroic. That guy gave me props for beating him and his guildies told me he never gave props. Then a few months later I was joining my guild and thier guild had another warlock in our run and he crowed that he was going to school me in warlocking, and once again I beat him but instead of giving props the guy spent the night whispering my guildies that I actually sucked and he was coming up with all kinds of escuses why he was being beaten. Since then the warlock has been asking to join us on old raid runs and my guild has been denying him access because of the way he behaved.

Some people feel that insulting other people and behaving badly is the only surefire way to draw attention to themselves to get the respect they think they deserve. People don't hang out with you because you do great dps, people hang out with you because they like who you are and how you behave.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2014-10-24 at 06:43 PM.

Is this what you are on about?

Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    Enter the predicament: Join a pro guild? I can't because I don't want to invest the life resources at the moment. Join a "not so pro but good"? They are likely to be cocks and STILL want the same investment with the pro guild. Join the more casual guild is the usual choice. But they become annoying if they raid for hours and still want performance that they don't have individually.

It's VERY hard to find a good balance in this game.
    There is a tiny, tiny sweet spot between the top tier guilds and the cocks that want to be top tier guilds. It's probably the smallest percentage, but they're there. It's not easy to find them, but if you look at wowprogress rankings and see the bottom 14/14 mythic guilds, you have good chances that they are at least competent and don't have the stress of failing.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I've raiding since Molten Core at many different levels of "hardcore" all the way up to pushing world top 10 kills in BC. From experience I've learned a few things.

1. If you are having a bad night yelling at people will typically just make it worse. Takes steps behind the scenes to remedy the problem, but bring in some humor on the surface to keep bullshit from unleashing.
    2. I like to raid with adults mostly. Interestingly, adults don't like to be belittled like children. If anything it could just turn into something more and possibly deter from the issue anyways.
    3. Most people are reasonable and you can find common understanding through normal conversation. If you find someone who cannot be reasoned with remove them from your raiding roster as soon as possible, simple as that.
    4. Best way to keep people on their feet as an officer is to play like you are the most amazing person who has ever played this game. If the officers are truly talented players the rest of the raid will follow suit. If the officers are crap the raiders will quickly lose respect for them and you have yourself a shit situation.

I have more but then this would turn into an essay on raiding.

Don't get me wrong, I don't generalize, I just find it hard to find people in this game with good performance that don't act like adolf hitler/special snow flakes on teamspeak or on raid chat. e.g. "I will <insert extremely offensive word here> you if you fail" like they are entitled to abuse.

It appears it's easy to find two extremes in this game, one, very casuals that will bore you to death with their lack of skill and naivety and those people.

Where are the guilds that have people with skill that don't act like adolf?
    That's not true for all of great performing guilds. I've pugged with some mediocre guilds that thought they were gods but I guess to each their own...If I can't stand it, I just drop group.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't..

It appears it's easy to find two extremes in this game, one, very casuals that will bore you to death with their lack of skill and naivety and those people.

I have raided sicne vanilla wow, and my experience has always been that the best PvE guilds contain more mature and reasonable people than the less good PvE guilds. Members in good PvE guilds don't swear at people or make rude comments. They just bench bad performing people at the first opportunity and tells them why they are benched.

Teamspeak is malware. It displays your IP and incorporates tools to both eavesdrop and suppress opposition.

These guilds you mention use a "zerg" structure as you would know IRL as a bureaucracy. They forcibly cannibalize weaker member's accomplishments and other guild banks/transactions to bolster their own might in game. To prevent retaliation they barter with opponents and recruit from other guild rosters. Their only goal is to disrupt and impair all those around them as their goal is not about winning, but being better than you. Their leaders are "carebears" these would be known IRL as narcissists whom fret over their self image as a defense mechanism all the while hypocritically denying responsibility for their own conduct. These tactics are heavily documented as Machiavellian or poor sportsmanship.

These players are prey for the best of players whom hunt them for sport often traversing multiple games to satiate a raw primal desire to "fix" what is most clearly broken. This has led to some of the most extreme examples of tactical superiority ever witnessed in gaming from methodically planned out stream snipes to devastating ambushes.

10+ Year Old Account
    theres a good 25-50% of the players in good guilds with semi decent progression who deep down are dickbags.
    Hi