Question What do you do while you level up alts nowadays?

How do you level up alts nowadays?

Personally; I just sit my toon in the inn - gathering up some rested XP in between the cut - queued for dungeons and pet battles. While I'm queued, I usually just chat with my friends and guildmates. Too lazy and not worth the effort to go out into the world and actually do quests every since Cata.

I just pay $60 and get a max level character. Leveled so many damn characters in the last 10 years and I have enough disposable funds in RL that it's 100 times more worth it for me to just spend $60 than spend that time leveling through questing lines/dungeons ive done 900000000 times.

I mean really....im earning $74k (australia) at the moment 3 years out of uni and i dont any other financially draining hobby/lifestyle. 5 years ago I was getting by on 15k lol.

Deleted
    trying to resist the temptation of slitting my throat with a rusty knife

leveling has become a mindless grind

10+ Year Old Account
    I spend that time I wouldve spent leveling making 60$ to pay for my new 90 RIP

jkjk :P

I put on some meditation music and quest/dungeon grind. Though now with bonus objectives I frequently out-level areas very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    I just pay $60 and get a max level character. Leveled so many damn characters in the last 10 years and I have enough disposable funds in RL that it's 100 times more worth it for me to just spend $60 than spend that time leveling through questing lines/dungeons ive done 900000000 times.
    Stop. Tempting me!

You know what? Your right. Your spodedamn right. I really ought to just finish this Druid's grind off at 60, pick two professions and drop $60 on him. Because 1. $60 is relatively inexepensive for a gamer like me, 2. a level 90 WoW toon is by far of higher value than the average $60 game that comes out on the market. Plus, I'm too tired to finish the extra 30 levels.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    2. a level 90 WoW toon is by far of higher value than the average $60 game that comes out on the market.
    What the hell am I even reading

Stop. Tempting me!

You know what? Your right. Your spodedamn right. I really ought to just finish this Druid's grind off at 60, pick two professions and drop $60 on him. Because 1. $60 is relatively inexepensive for a gamer like me, 2. a level 90 WoW toon is by far of higher value than the average $60 game that comes out on the market. Plus, I'm too tired to finish the extra 30 levels.
    lol i personally wouldnt even goto 60 for the profs considering blizz took away prof bonuses, can always just power level that at max level if u really want it

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    What the hell am I even reading
    He'll get more hours of play and/or enjoyment out of a level 90 toon than the average $60 game that's released.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    He'll get more hours of play and/or enjoyment out of a level 90 toon than the average $60 game that's released.
    But the only way to get a $60 game is to pay for it (other than piracy). You don't NEED to pay $60 to get a levle 90 character.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    But the only way to get a $60 game is to pay for it (other than piracy). You don't NEED to pay $60 to get a levle 90 character.
    But you dont NEED to pay $60 for a game either

OT: I just quest, and do dungeons for the quests, but i level more toons at a time (switching between different toons, thats in different levels) so i don't burn out that easily, especially with the somewhat limited time i have to play wow

Personally; I just sit my toon in the inn - gathering up some rested XP in between the cut - queued for dungeons and pet battles. While I'm queued, I usually just chat with my friends and guildmates. Too lazy and not worth the effort to go out into the world and actually do quests every since Cata.
    I can only talk about pre 6.0 leveling, I haven't leveled since the patch, so things might be different now with the "dungeon breakpoints".

This is what pre 70 leveling also looks for me: Since they removed automatical flight path while leveling, it is completely pointless to try to get to a questing area. You will get a dungeon invite on the way, and when you leave the dungeon the mobs will be grey in the area you wanted to quest. One exeptions is 56-58 when you only get BRD or temple from the tool, I will usually quest in the blasted lands until I can queue up for BC dungeons.

From 70 on leveling only in dungeons becomes not so fun anymore, there are too few and they grant not enough XP. You still can level only using dungeons, but queueing for dungeons and questing in between is the fastest route. You don't have to leave dungeons you already completed (unless HoS or VH), they still give reasonable XP without quests.

With cata this changes, questing and doing dungeons is still the fastest way, but only if you have quests available in the dungeon, else you can leave it directly since questing rewards much more XP.
    And this also applies to MoP.

How do you level up alts nowadays?

Ever since Cata it's not worth leveling in dungeons beyond WotLK... XP is very low. Now since 6.0.2 they added extra XP to dungeons and it looks like it's feasible again.

From 1-15 I quest, 15-80 dungeons, 80-90 questing while queued to do every dungeon once. At the moment I do more dungeons after 80 as they now give more XP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    trying to resist the temptation of slitting my throat with a rusty knife

leveling has become a mindless grind
    'become'? It has been a mindless grind forever.

I usually level through dungeons and/or pvp. It is more efficient in terms of attention, I can read or watch something on my second screen and use just periphetal vision to attend to the dungeon.

I usually just do quests, alongside gathering. I start from an inn and stop in an inn after I've had enough.

There have been a few times where I was really fed up with questing. I leveled my Warrior from 80 to 85 during Cata by doing Argent Tournament dailies (I sent over some Cata BoEs to make everything quicker). I leveled my Priest from 70 to 85(?) purely from Archaeology (benefits from rested XP). Guess I just hate leveling in Cata zones. MoP and BC are meh, but doable. Classic is fine and when I get to Northrend I actually like leveling there.