Thread: Path 6.0 threat

Path 6.0 threat

Hey guys,

I stopped playing WoW for a bit and I noticed when I came back my threat generation seems really.... off. Now I definitely don't have the best gear (Mostly ToT stuff with some new LFR SoO gear and the Headless Horsemen Sword) but I just feel like I'm constantly getting out threat. My rotation tends to be:

Avengers Shield to pull
    Crusader Strike/Hammer (AoE or not)
    Judgement
    Consecrate
    Crusader/Hammer
    Shield Slam
    Judgement

And mix in Shield procs and try to keep consecrate up as much as I can.

I'm using Seal of Censure for Single Target and Righteousness for AoE.

I just feel like I'm losing to everyone. There's a really good chance it's also some rust I've gotten built up but is there something glaring that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

This may seem silly to ask, but are you tanking with Righteous Fury up? I only ask because you don't mention it, and that's the only glaring reason to have threat ripped off you constantly.

Threat doesn't seem to be an issue anymore I believe. I had to use salv on our bear tank because he would pull threat. But now it's absolutely fine.

1 TIP i can give is that taunt pull the boss. Taunt + avenger shield will generate massive amount of threat and you should be fine after that.

7+ Year Old Account
    also as far as your original rotation goes consecration is hardly in the rotation any more. with the lower haste levels you should be able to keep SS 100% uptime and CS/Hammer and judge on cooldown. when both of those are on cd use SoTR. when SoTR is not an option (or if you are holding it for big damage) then holy wrath. cons is only viable when the target will be stationary and standing in the damage area for 80%+ or more of the spell. feel free to correct me if i am wrong here.

also another way to almost ensure pull/threat aggro is to on pull use

judge
    taunt
    cs/hammer
    SoTR

by the time you hit SoTR your taunt will fall off and SoTR should be a final aggro puller to ensure you get full threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth noting that if you're trying to compete with a blood dk, don't. Their threat is through the fucking roof right now.

If you're losing to DPS, then you are doing something dramatically wrong, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Degrade View Post
    This may seem silly to ask, but are you tanking with Righteous Fury up? I only ask because you don't mention it, and that's the only glaring reason to have threat ripped off you constantly.
    This ^^

With SoT I'm pulling treat off of our monk tank really easily, same when I tanked with a bear (admittedly about 20 ilvl lower then me) last week when monk was on his jollies but if you have RF activated it shouldn't be a problem!

Ilvl will make a big difference in this too cause if the other tank is miles above you then you will have some issues!
    Now as Blood Elf
    My Youtube Channel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solmyr13 View Post
    There's a really good chance it's also some rust I've gotten built up but is there something glaring that I'm missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtags
    1 TIP i can give is that taunt pull the boss. Taunt + avenger shield will generate massive amount of threat and you should be fine after that.
    Yeah, one thing that I missed until it was pointed out in this forum is that taunt was changed at some point to boost the threat of abilities applied shortly after it. I was brought up thinking that pulling with taunt was bad form (it did no damage and you might need it later for loose mobs), but now it is smart play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently, ALL tanks have a 900% threat boost while in their "tanking stance". (Blood Pres, Righteous Fury, Bear Form, Ox Stance, and Def Stance). In 5.4, blizz also added a baseline 40% extra threat to all tanks regardless of stance, which stacks multiplicatively with the stance threat (Unsure whether or not that was removed in WoD). Finally, taunts currently state they double your threat generation against targets.

If only the first is true, a dps has to deal 10x your damage in order to pull threat from you. (If you are 2k, which is VERY low, even for tanks, then a dps has to pull 20k. at 3k, dps has to pull 30k.) So if you are 510 ilvl, only 580+ ilvl dps can pull threat from you.

If both the first and second are true, a dps has to deal 12.6x your dps in order to pull threat from you. This basically means that you can sneeze at a mob, and only other tanks can pull it off you.

If all 3 are true (900% stance threat, 40% baseline thread, and double threat on taunts) this means that if a dps pulls threat off you, you should quit tanking as you don't have the skill for it.

As for other tanks... BrM, Prot paladin, Prot warr, and Guardian all have the same threat generation. Blood DKs have the option to turn one of their cooldowns into a double-threat cooldown, which means that everything will stick to them. DKs are also the only spec with 2 taunts, which means, again, that DKs can generate much more threat compared to other tanks. (Essentially, a DK can, for 8 second per 90 seconds, generate an amazing 50.4x normal threat, compared to the 25.2x multiplier of other tanks)

So yea. If you are having trouble with DPS, make sure Righteous Fury is on. If you are having trouble with other tanks, ask them to not attack for a few seconds when you taunt swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses! It isn't DPS that's an issue, more like when we do tank switches on fights and the other guy is still going with DPS. Sounds like i'm mixing the rotation up a bit and I must admit, I was not aware Taunt added additional threat so I've clearly been doing the abilities in the wrong order after taunt.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Pull with J to get that HP rolling. Toss AS and hit CS when you're in range.

The fact that you wrote Shield Slam tells me you're not very experienced in the spec so it's probably an issue with you hitting buttons quickly and correctly. You didn't even list Holy Wrath which is one of our heavy-hitting abilities.

I was curious because I am having an issue keeping threat off the DK tank I am paired with in raids. We are equivalent ilvl around 586, but even after taunt swaps and me flushing into the rotation as fast as possible, he pulls off me with his regular rotation. Blood boil is ridiculously strong and grabs any and all adds in AOE fights, to the point where I had to basically taunt Rook on cooldown during protectors because we stack them and BB pulled him consistently. I kept getting shit from the RL about keeping aggro and I can't hit my buttons any faster or harder. Any other suggestions or should my tank-buddy just be cooling off a bit while I have a boss?

Go full DPS, the first week Mythic launched I was experimenting with different builds and had trouble holding off my DK. It was infuriating.

Went full DPS in terms of gearing and haven't had an issue since. Goes without saying that you should be using SoT now @L90.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrzillasor View Post
    also as far as your original rotation goes consecration is hardly in the rotation any more. with the lower haste levels you should be able to keep SS 100% uptime and CS/Hammer and judge on cooldown. when both of those are on cd use SoTR. when SoTR is not an option (or if you are holding it for big damage) then holy wrath. cons is only viable when the target will be stationary and standing in the damage area for 80%+ or more of the spell. feel free to correct me if i am wrong here.

also another way to almost ensure pull/threat aggro is to on pull use

judge
    taunt
    cs/hammer
    SoTR

by the time you hit SoTR your taunt will fall off and SoTR should be a final aggro puller to ensure you get full threat.
    SoTR is not on the global cooldown, so you don't have to prioritize it anywhere, just hit it between abilities as you see fit.