Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    How is alchemy good now? Flasks is about it. No one buys pots and theres no transmuting anymore.
    Huh? Flasks alone are worth it, they're ALWAYS useful and pretty much mandatory for every raider.

In fact maybe I could drop Mining for Alchemy.. there's nothing I can do with those Farm herbs anyway besides sell them

Quote Originally Posted by jabulaniman View Post
    Does anyone know if the boost can be used on level 90 or higher characters? I'm seriously considering dropping my dual gatherer proffs and getting BS/JC but don't want to level them 1-600..
    you can't use it to pick up a new profession. Fortunately, you can still craft your research and daily mat at level 1 of any profession (the research usually gives 5 skill, and the mat gives 10). I Leveled my warrior's blacksmithing/engineering this way and got to 600 fairly quick.

at least they can kill botting now wont be worth to have bots to farm 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    However, that becomes useless when you realize that in addition to being BOP, only a limited amount can be produced daily, so limited that on average, by the time you have enough of the BOP to craft an item, you will have 10x the required raw materials such as ore. In the end, what will eventually up happening is that there will be more raw materials than anyone could possibly have any use for, essentially making the raw materials worthless.
    Correct on the first point: bottlenecks that offer certain exemptions for profession crafters will (be intended to) place some limits on goods while preventing materials from being cornered -- which has happened every expansion, leading to weird, backward economies.

It might not work, and there is the question of what it does to gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    Huh? Flasks alone are worth it, they're ALWAYS useful and pretty much mandatory for every raider.

In fact maybe I could drop Mining for Alchemy.. there's nothing I can do with those Farm herbs anyway besides sell them
    I wouldn't make any changes a mere one week in the expansion. Professions are totally borked right now. I would be surprised if some changes won't be forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Constant available free buff and alchemists trinket. The trinket can be invaluable.
    I always have flasks for all my toons...it gives the most consistent value albeit more of a personal one though but account wide. And will be far more profitable when raiding starts.
    Given the scarcity of "greater" flasks, (they're made by consuming alchemy's "daily" material 1-to-1, so a max level achy produces a maximum of 10 per day, plus work orders) I would say alchemy is no-brainer.

The one benefit to having mining/herbalism is that you can get your level 3 mine that much faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    It didn’t even occur to me until I read this thread…when I get home I’m going to drop it and pick up BS, which I’ve always wanted anyway. Downside though next expansion I will most likely have to relearn it, but who knows J

Can't even use all my workorders for the blacksmith from the mine alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I wouldn't make any changes a mere one week in the expansion. Professions are totally borked right now. I would be surprised if some changes won't be forthcoming.
    Professions need more than just a quick fix at this point, the dev team really needs to rethink and redesign them if they are ever to be useful again. I wouldn't expect a meaningful change until at least 6.1. I'm dropping mining- if there's a hint that it will become useful again, it can be leveled back to 700 quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    you can't use it to pick up a new profession. Fortunately, you can still craft your research and daily mat at level 1 of any profession (the research usually gives 5 skill, and the mat gives 10). I Leveled my warrior's blacksmithing/engineering this way and got to 600 fairly quick.
    Wouldn't it take 40 days to level it to 600?

Even as a JC, I find I am sitting on amounts of True Iron that I'll never use, and the only thing I am scarce on is Blackrock, but with a level 3 mine that is going to become less of a problem. The problem is there is more than enough in even one toon's garrison to get by, if you are running 2 or 3 alts on one side it's going to be even more ridiculous. I attempted to sell a stack of 200 True Iron today and saw it was going for 75 gold. I decided to just hold onto everything I have in case something comes up where it is needed later, or donate it to the guild bank. The AH is not going to be what it used to be. I will say that gathering herbs is probably a far more profitable endeavor at this point. All sorts of different recipes need them and they are far scarcer than the ores simply because the Herb garden doesn't unlock til 96, and even then it yields far less than the mine.

JC is fairly stale until some gear drops with sockets (I had one drop and replaced it with a War-forged immediately after socketing). Still haven't save up enough Taladite for a neck or ring yet, but getting close. This will become more useful once heroics become easier and Raids and especially LFR come down the pike. Alchemy is and will stay in a great spot. Enchanting as a profession doesn't make a lick of sense at this point since the level 3 non-profession building is so good. I don't have much patience for the gear-crafting professions at this point. Herbalism is great right now (because it feeds Alchemy). Mining is nearly useless. Skinning is likely good since there are no other sources of Leather unless you opt for a Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    It didn’t even occur to me until I read this thread…when I get home I’m going to drop it and pick up BS, which I’ve always wanted anyway. Downside though next expansion I will most likely have to relearn it, but who knows J
    I actually wondered if next expansion sees a further devaluing of the gathering profs (well, mining and herbs anyway - skinning is a bit different) to see them become secondary professions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by plaits View Post
    I actually wondered if next expansion sees a further devaluing of the gathering profs (well, mining and herbs anyway - skinning is a bit different) to see them become secondary professions.
    I feel like this would explain the devaluation of the profession quite neatly. If they intend to make gathering secondary so that everyone has it, like fishing, first aid etc. then this expansion is a middle step towards getting people used to that idea and encouraging people to switch from gathering as a primary.

i really hate you people that complained about this. i'm a miner and fucking loved it, screw the people that bitched >:/

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i really hate you people that complained about this. i'm a miner and fucking loved it, screw the people that bitched >:/
    your a miner and you enjoy ore being worth 50 silver?

That doesn't add up Oo
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    your a miner and you enjoy ore being worth 50 silver?

That doesn't add up Oo
    i don't sell my ore, i hoard it and make stuff with it. sometimes give some to friends if they need it.

i also mail it to my alts sometimes, because i don't like being a miner on every character or having to deal with other people and pay for it.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2014-11-28 at 04:07 PM.

The Mine was indeed giving way too much (and mine carts without a follower...).

Sitting on three full stacks of both ores for when I can actually do something with them (i.e. the Trading Post God blesses me with an ore day).
    Stormrage US | Aesryn