Thread: Warrior tank

10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Warrior tank

I dunno dude, i've got the gear, got even some enchants on rings... am i doing something wrong ? I just get like very much damage, i see healers got nerfed so bad that i barely see my hp 100% except out of combat.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%B8rd/simple

I use barrier, i use all the abilities like i should. I use block.

If someone pulls another group we're basically wiped.

Warriors are one of the strongest tanks, but this isn't MoP or Wrath. You can only really pull one group at a time. It's a bit easier if you CC one or more mob per-pull though not required, if you and your healer can handle it. Mis-pulls are dangerous and unless you have CDs and Stuns it likely something you can't survive... and is something you will not be able to multi times
    "Warriors make you sap, Paladins let you sap."

10+ Year Old Account
    So it is ok if my hp goes from 100% to 80% in one hit ?
    Last edited by Xords; 2014-11-22 at 06:23 PM.

heroic dungeons really do hurt these days. and yes without something mitigating the hits a mob group can quickly dropy our HP. i did notice that you are missing bonus armor on 3 pieces. getting that fixed will go a long ways towards helping the issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xords View Post
    I dunno dude, i've got the gear, got even some enchants on rings... am i doing something wrong ? I just get like very much damage, i see healers got nerfed so bad that i barely see my hp 100% except out of combat.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%B8rd/simple

I use barrier, i use all the abilities like i should. I use block.

If someone pulls another group we're basically wiped.
    Shield Barrier is used very rarely: when you're getting hit with a big magic attack or to fill in space when Shield Block is on Cooldown.
    I'm in 634 gear and 1 big shield barrier for me is like a 24k absorb, which gets taken out in one hit. Yet in comparison with shield block up I'm blocking about 14k damage a swing. This is significantly better on both single mobs and group pulls.

My 5 man group has a warlock in it and I am using his healthstones consistently. I also use demoralizing shout just about every time its up. Before WoD I could burn a lot of rage (on trash pulls) just using heroic strike with no need to worry about Sblk, but it's not like that any more. Shield Block is used the moment it's available, Enraged Regen is used regularly. To help yourself and your healer you really have to use your entire toolkit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get more mastery, more bonus armor from cloak, neck, rings and trinkets. Keep pushing for your legendary ring quest. At the same time don't neglect on crit, and go for around 8% haste unbuffed.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...�zèn/advanced

If you get into situation when other pack is being pulled, you have two choices:

1. Use your whole toolkit, rotate shieldwall with shield blocks and last stand if you're getting really low (<30% HP). I prefer using impending victory talent so I usually use it inside last stand if it's still available. Don't just use shockwave until you know that mobs start to do some kind of special attack (or use it to interrupt many casts) or when your shield blocks are on CD and you don't have rage. You also have Intimidating shout - time it well and use it to make it so that you still only have to tank 1 group only at the same time.

2. Start kiting after shockwave stun wears off and you have applied thunderclap - usually they can't even reach you and if you have heroic leap with speed glyph, it further helps kiting adds until the slow falls off. Most of the times shockwave is out of cooldown on that point, so rince and repeat until dps has taken most of the bad guys out, so you can tank without taking huge dips on your healthpool.

However most of the time dungeons are made so that you really have to know when to move out from the attacks. Especially ogres do all those slams what you can just dodge by sidestepping.

Oh and I use mainly crit gear with bonus armor and I have no problem on taking 2-3 groups mostly - even on UBRS if some dude manages to pull stuff like hunter with barrage. You just have to hope your healer isn't incompetent though... Everbloom instance is one of those examples where you can just kite whole instance if you have to.
    Yeah, I use the gladiator passive even when tanking, since 25% defstance is superior in damage reduction. In reality it's more like 30% when versatility is counted in.
    Last edited by Kankipappa; 2014-11-23 at 11:26 PM.

Your ilvl is still somewhat low. I have 632 and my HP still fluctuates a lot if we pull big packs and healers need to show their skills if we get a double pack.

It's just how the game is now. Imo you wont be able to breeze through the hcs beror you get around 640 ilvl.

As a 637 Prot warrior, let me just say that every end game PvE just simply crushes tanks hard and that's the way it is now. We can help reduce it, but tanks just take a shit ton of damage.

As others have said, unless youre only taking magic damage, shield block is much better than barrier and should be used whenever possible. If you have both charges of block, then you can Barrier if youre still taking a lot of damage or use Heroic Strikes if you want to do more damage.

Secondly, make sure you have Bonus Armor on all of your rings/trinkets/cloak/neck. BA is our best stat by far and you need as much of it as you can get.After BA, stack as much Mastery as possible with crit/versatility as other stats you like. Haste/Multistrike are pretty useless for us except to increase our dps by a bit.

I know you said your rotating your CDs, but thought I'd restate how important this is. Shield block + Shield Block + Demoralizing Shout + Enraged Regen + Shield Wall + Last Stand + Shockwave(on trash) + Ravager(if you have it) + Stone Form/Gift of Naaru(if dwarf/dranei). These are all your defensives, we have a ton of them, and you should try to only have 1 going at all times. Dont be afraid to pop CDs on trash. Like I said, I'm 637 and I still pop CDs on trash.

Speaking of trash, it hits really hard. do not be afraid to take control of your group. Mark Moon/Diamond/Star for CC targets, tell the mage sheep moon, the rogue to sap star, and the shaman(lol jk) to hex diamond. Most people are followers and tanks need to be leaders.

For my last point, I want to say that tanking is the one role imo where it is compeltely essential to know the fights.http://twowowchicks.com/2014/11/11/w...chat-friendly/ This tab has been open in my browser for a week and it is a godsend. Copy/Paste this into your chat before each boss, and make sure you read it before hand.

If you have any questions, I would love to answer them

Deleted
    I got 626 in PvE gear, not optimized or anything and I find that pulling one or two groups doesn't do anything in heroics but add fun.

Things to consider:

- The game design is that tanks don't sit on either 10% or 100% but most of the time inbetween. So expecting 100% in combat is wrong.

- The healer is awake and giving his all.
    I find that most of the time I do fall below 30% is when the healer doesn't use his expensive heals. They are still getting used to healing and don't try to keep you at 100% which is fine.

- The DPS are awake.
    Deal good damage, interrupt casts and focus the right targets. If fights tend to go longer you're more likely to run out of your shortterm CC (shockwave, spellreflect, fear) and your defensive CDs. No fight is entirely your job. Remember, we no longer deal 2 to 10 times more than DPS just because of vengeance.

- Attacking the right targets, considering combat mechanics etc
    The mechanical boss in Sky-something has these lasers coming down and often enough I find myself taking one of them, because the DPS are tunneling onto the boss, or don't know the mechanics. A lot of trash have mechanics you should counter, or the DPS need to consider, or the whole group takes damage and in that case the healer needs some space to heal the group and your health drops.

In the end, it's mostly about people getting used to their new job descriptions and you shouldn't think about it too much. For heroics I like to take the CD reduction talent (100 left one) because that way I have more than enough demo shouts and shieldwalls to use them when needed. I try to skip shockwaving less than 3 targets because not having a full AOE stun for a pull (40sek sometimes just is too long even with CDR) just isn't that good. Do prioritize shieldblock over shieldbarrier for most trash groups, as casts can be interrupted, reflected or simply are cast at random targets and having several seconds of -30% to -60% damage from any melee attacks is way better than one 12-20k absorb that gets used up in one or two hits.

Deleted
    Sitting on 100% hp is nothing you should aim for or is posible on the current way healing works.

I see tanking hc's like this, your hp is the time you have from you pull untill you die, in that progress you have a healer to try to keep your hp stable, and your own cooldows for the same purpose. The healing output that random healers have is not great enough to top you, therefore you just need to make the fight last long enough so you don't die before the adds/boss dies. And you can reset the clock.

Good trick to survive pulls is to use the markers, if there is 2 adds in a pack that have something important to itterupt I skull mark one of them and itterupt that other add myself.

And as someone said, avoid using shieldbarrier to much, its by far the weaker choice over Shieldblock