One toon on several servers or several toons on one server?

Hey guys I just have a question about diversifying characters across servers. Is it better to have toons to be spread across servers or consolidated on one server?

Deleted
    hello orangespire. the answer to your question is yes

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want your characters to share a guild (and possibly friends) as well as gold and resources... you want to keep them on one server. One character per server doesn't make any sense to me, what would the benefit of that be?
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 toons, 1 server. Anything more than that means I have way too much free time, and not enough real life.

Also besides the obvious as stated in the other replys, when you have multiple toons on a server it means you also have multiple professions on that server.
    Meaning you can make your toons self sufficient and make all your own enchants, gems, bags and such.
    This saves one lots of money.
    Spread out it is hard to make money and be self sufficient

Deleted
    More on 1. I can use alts to fill the gaps of my main and can easily transfer whatever is needed between them. Plus, I get to play with my buddies at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by orangespire View Post
    Is it better to have toons to be spread across servers or consolidated on one server?
    It depends as both options have their pros and cons. A quick rundown and comparison (5 toons as an example):

Multiple servers
    + access to much larger player base (if you are going after lots of friends)
    + can adjust toons to playstyle; PvP on PvP server, raiding on PvE, some chillout on RP
    + always a backup toon somwhere else when your main server is down (quite rare recently)

- can't support one toon with another (gear, gold, professions) - unless your toons are spread within battlegroup
    - can't play with friends when on different servers (doesn't apply to real ID friends)
    - gold farming a bit forced

One server
    + multitoon support (altoholic here speaking, all professions coveres, pretty much self sufficient)
    + sticking to realm friends, tightening the bonds (quality over quantity)
    + easier gold acquisition (always can strip some coin from an alt)

- server is down and you're ****
    - time consuming to get multiple toons to some reasonable level

I myself maintain full 11 char main server and another alt server (different battlegroup). In that scenario I have all I need on my main server and in case it's down for whatever reason I can always play some mid level alt chars on alt server instead of rolling lvl 1 alt somewhere just to kill time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to guess that you're a new or returning player. In the long run, you'll probably want to concentrate on one server, but try several when you start out. Some may be better for a given faction, some might just have a guild that you hit it off with, you might find a preference for PVP, PVE or RP that dictates some servers are more your cup of tea. Just to pull a number out of thin air, try three and mix things up, level to at least 20 and pick the one that you enjoy most.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I've got all my Alliance on one server and all my Horde on another server. that way my alts of the same faction can help eachother but I have enough character slots for each class on each faction should I ever decide that I want to. there's very little benefit to having characters of opposing faction on the same realm

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    2 toons, 1 server. Anything more than that means I have way too much free time, and not enough real life.
    You can level characters sequentially. So if you have enough time to level an alt today, you will be able to level a second alt next month, a third alt the month after and so on and so on until you end up with 49 alts. Having an alt doesn't mean you play them all at max level or in a raid environment

OT: All on one server. Why not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    I've got all my Alliance on one server and all my Horde on another server. that way my alts of the same faction can help eachother but I have enough character slots for each class on each faction should I ever decide that I want to. there's very little benefit to having characters of opposing faction on the same realm
    Only if you don't have any friends that can bounce items and gold between the factions for you! Even easier now with the consolidated AH, though riskier. (This of course being because you cannot buy your own items off the AH and need someone else to buy it from you or sell it to you)
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    You can level characters sequentially. So if you have enough time to level an alt today, you will be able to level a second alt next month, a third alt the month after and so on and so on until you end up with 49 alts. Having an alt doesn't mean you play them all at max level or in a raid environment

OT: All on one server. Why not?
    Back before I had a life, I had 3 accounts, and a half dozen toons on each. I would multibox and level myself. Like I said, anything more than 2 for me either means I just got divorced, or my account was just hacked.

sigh. I've cornered myself into having horde and alliance on one server and wish I had separated them.

Pray for a server merge, and you'll get more slots

10+ Year Old Account
    All the horde characters on one server; all the alliance on another. Toon means town not character.

Quote Originally Posted by onedirection View Post
    hello orangespire. the answer to your question is yes
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Only if you don't have any friends that can bounce items and gold between the factions for you! Even easier now with the consolidated AH, though riskier. (This of course being because you cannot buy your own items off the AH and need someone else to buy it from you or sell it to you)
    true, you lose a big chunk of gold doing that though, or at least you used to, not sure how the new consolidated auction house works cross-faction. it's also a lot harder to find a server with a health population on both factions too

I like to have my toons on one server if you don't you lose out on too much but its whatever you perfer