Deleted

New to Wow, want to try melee

Hey all,

After a long while playing the GW2 franchise I fancy a change and with the release of WoD I fancy giving wow a go.

I'm looking for a melee class which can offer good group utility as well as putting out good numbers. After looking up youtube im more swaying towards Warrior or DK. Which out of all the melee classes would you recommend for me, doesn't necessarily need to be warrior or dk if others offer what im looking for.

Thanks

Deleted
    Nowadays monks are really ahead from other dps class, though probably they will (or should) be nerfed

Deleted
    what do they bring to a group?

Deleted
    "putting out good numbers" will change from patch to patch, so thats a bad wayof looking at it.

I would say paladin or druid.
    That way you can also try tanking and healing if you feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PorktheBork View Post
    Which out of all the melee classes would you recommend for me
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOChampion
    Rules | General | Do not create pointless threads such as "Which class/race/gender/faction/server should I roll?"
    Play Windwalker Wonk
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-11-24 at 04:28 PM.

I would recommend paladin for you, it brings a lot of utility to a group as dps (healing, other sweet abilities like immunity and more), and they are in a sweet spot dps wise atm.

You can also try out tanking or healing, as paladins can spec protection (tank) or holy (healing).

I would recommend Arms warrior to start. Probably one of the easier melee classes to learn. Plus, you get Heroic Leap Who doesn't like being the Hulk!

There are several things I enjoy about ret paladin:

1. Despite being "melee" a fair number of our abilities have > melee range. In fact, I think the only ability that's still melee range is crusader strike and auto attack. It feels more like medium range than short range, which I like.

2. There are four awesome utility abilities that I use almost on cooldown in heroics. Hand of sacrifice, Hand of Protection, Divine Protection and Lay on Hands. With the talent that reduces their cooldown, I find them incredibly useful. I can't tell you how many times I've saved the tank with a well-timed lay on hands. I typically drop a hand of sac whenever I can see a lot of adds are on the tank (or we choose to not CC). I also drop flash of lights (instant) when I see a tank or dps dip low. It can crit for > 100k, which is huge.

3. Bubble. This lets you cheese some mechanics or get out of danger very quickly. With the talent to reduce cooldown, it can be used every 1.5 minutes, which is amazing.

4. Damage seems competitive at this point, as backed up by simcraft.

It's a fun spec to play. Plus as a bonus, you can tank or heal with an offspec, which gives your group some flexibility, plus it makes running heroics a little easier. Can't find a tank? No prob, you are one. Grab a sword and board and you can tank heroics pretty well without any other gear.

Just remember that Blizzard hates melee, and a lot of raid groups will prefer ranged dps if they can get them.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Anzen points out, we want to avoid threads like this, because its way too subjective.

You can find out more about various classes through the class forums here, or guides like those on Icy Veins and other websites. In the end I think that actually playing a class is going to be what you'll need to do - you can read about mechanics and what is or isn't currently performing well, but the playstyle and feel varies quite a bit between classes and the only way to see what you do or don't like is to dive in and experience it yourself.

Good luck.