Do item upgrades cost too much?

I am curious if I am the only one who thinks this way. I mean, the item upgrades that you can craft seem to cost way to much. For example, a truesteel upgrades costs 150 ingots, 15blood, and 30 sorceress earth. Its more costly then any one piece of gear. I am just wandering if others agree that it costs too much. I haven't even seen one in the auction house yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they do. I feel like an upgrade token would be better if it costed a ton of ore and a smaller amount of ingots.

Say 640-655 upgrade would cost 30 ingots, 150 true iron ore, and 150 blackrock ore. A 655-665 upgrade would cost 60 ingots and 300 blackrock ore and 300 true iron ore.

Would give ore the sink it desperately needs.

I would say they do if I didn't know what they were for.
    They are meant to be catch up pieces, or something to work for for non-raiders.

The 640 piece is nice, but that will be replaced December 2nd, so no. If I was able to have 2 665 pieces before raiding started, that would be silly.
    I'm very satisfied with this way.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I think they do. I feel like an upgrade token would be better if it costed a ton of ore and a smaller amount of ingots.

Say 640-655 upgrade would cost 30 ingots, 150 true iron ore, and 150 blackrock ore. A 655-665 upgrade would cost 60 ingots and 300 blackrock ore and 300 true iron ore.

Would give ore the sink it desperately needs.
    It really does need a sink. Everything costs a good bit to make since it requires daily cds to craft. Ore is rather useless outside of the cds / possible trading post work orders.

We're not even two weeks in yet. Give it time, you'll be seeing millions of items soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I would say they do if I didn't know what they were for.
    They are meant to be catch up pieces, or something to work for for non-raiders.

The 640 piece is nice, but that will be replaced December 2nd, so no. If I was able to have 2 665 pieces before raiding started, that would be silly.
    I'm very satisfied with this way.
    To be fair, none raiders may not actually want to farm out the 20+ days worth of time to acquire two of the upgrades. Especially since they can only be used on crafted items.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    We're not even two weeks in yet. Give it time, you'll be seeing millions of items soon enough.
    Maybe. Ive been seeing people trying to sell the gear rather then craft upgrade items.
    I get around 10 ingots a day so it could easily take 13-15 days to get enough ingots. I still don't have enough of the sorcerers earths.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot about the bloods and sorcerous.

640-655
    25 Ingots
    15 Savage Blood
    20 sorcerous earth
    100 True Iron ore
    100 Blackrock ore

655-665
    50 ingots
    15 Savage Blood
    20 Sorcerous Earth
    200 Blackrock Ore
    200 True Iron ore

I feel like that would be a much better Mat spread.

Off topic, but I would totally add Sorcerous elements to elementals of Draenor as a rare drop. Maybe a 5-10% drop chance per. Would give some more farming methods.

assuming my luck is on par with everyone elses, i'm getting about 50% of my work orders with savage bloods (lvl 100 follower) so in a single day i get 3 savage bloods, atm i have 5 lvl 100s so when all of them get a lvl 3 barn etc, i'll potentially be getting 15 savage bloods per day.

its fine as is imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I kinda hate this gating of everything to daily cd items (Truesteel,gearspring parts,warpaint etc).
    If I have enough gold,just let me buy the damn thing? or speed it up? You have to wait to gather 150 daily cd mats from daily cd/work orders,then do 125 work orders for barn to unlock level 3,then do the AWFUL trapping (30 sec on trap,it sometimes fails,you kill the mobs by mistake etc) for savage blood.
    Locking savage blood behind the Barn level 3 is in itself retarded (yeah you can get it from primals...50 of em). It feels like it should be at least half those mats,first upgrade is only till ilvl 655,which is Highmaul normal stuff (Old flex) then 665 which is between Normal and Hc item level.
    I don't know who these items are meant for,for progression raiders probably not. Maybe the minority of players who play like 2 hours a week or something.
    Doing professions every day and just queueing up 26 work orders and do 3/3 cd every 3 days yields the same results,really dissapointed.
    So far this is the only thing I hate about this expansion,butchering of professions,and maybe the RNG of loot/crafted items. Also, Prospecting does nothing,and theres no "bars" from smelting,meh. Sorry /endrant

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like Savage Blood is going to crash all th way down to 100g. I originally thought they would be about 1000 but my server is already below 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    assuming my luck is on par with everyone elses, i'm getting about 50% of my work orders with savage bloods (lvl 100 follower) so in a single day i get 3 savage bloods, atm i have 5 lvl 100s so when all of them get a lvl 3 barn etc, i'll potentially be getting 15 savage bloods per day.

its fine as is imo
    You would be an extreme case. I am unsure as to how many people would want / can afford 5 level 3 garrisons. You may also be lucky. With your possible luck / 5 alts, not really a fair comparison to compare your situation with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    You would be an extreme case. I am unsure as to how many people would want / can afford 5 level 3 garrisons. You may also be lucky. With your possible luck / 5 alts, not really a fair comparison to compare your situation with others.
    considering you can do 90-100 in ~5 hours and if you just get past tanaan you stock up garrison resources while a char is offline is not unexpected you hit lvl 100 with 2k+ garrison resources, even if you were to level using the exp pot.

not to mention levelling alts in WoD is extremely rewarding.

the time to craft items is completely fine, 640 items are already flooding high population realms.

My biggest problem is in the way to aquire Savage Blood.

We don't need more RNG - it should be a 100% drop even if they made the work order longer if they really want to restrict.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    considering you can do 90-100 in ~5 hours and if you just get past tanaan you stock up garrison resources while a char is offline is not unexpected you hit lvl 100 with 2k+ garrison resources, even if you were to level using the exp pot.

not to mention levelling alts in WoD is extremely rewarding.

the time to craft items is completely fine, 640 items are already flooding high population realms.
    I am not talking about items. I am talking about the things needed to upgrade them. Second, garrison resources aside, not everyone wants 5 alts nor wants to drop the gold required to get a level 3 garrison and level 3 buildings. You are an extreme case. You can level with less then 5hours With the right class and with practice. Both of those have to be just right.

Deleted
    I would shift the resources needed to craft them favoring more raw ore and less BOP CD materials. 640 base item is fine as it is, upgrades should be cheaper than the base item in terms of CD mats required.

640 -> 655
    40 CD mats
    300x each ore

655 -> 665
    60 CD mats
    600x each ore

With mine production being so high 600 ore isn't very steep price to pay and will give it a nice sink so ore stops converging near vendor price region. And 100 CD mats for full upgrade which means 200 for finished stage 3 product. Still pretty lengthy craft if you ask me. And there's 3 item limit imposed which prevents players from decking out in crafted gear anyway.

I really hate what they did to professions this expansion. Crafting BoE's are almost pointless because of how long they take to craft. I am not going to spend +100k on crafting a 665 when I will be getting 670 gear the first lock out.

15+ Year Old Account
    You misunderstand what the upgrade token is. Think about Blacksmithing weapons from TBC/ToT. You started with an inexpensive base model, and upgraded with progressively more expensive mats until you got to the final product. The only change with this is that instead of having t1 upgrade of the head/shoulder/chest/wrist/etc.... You have one spell: Upgrade crafted item to X ilvl. It makes it more flexible for sale, especially with the 3 item cap on crafted gear. That's why they're more expensive than the item itself, they're effectively the upgraded item, which you've paid plenty for in the past.