The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If you were the Devs, where would you take Garrisons next?

So now we know that Garrisons (at least in their current form) will likely not carry over into the future expansions. However, much like the Farm turned into Garrisons, Garrisons will likely turn into something new. Be it a bigger Garrison, or a Boat, or even your own Faction. The Devs will take what they and us liked, and leave behind the things we don't.

So lets say you had the power to decide what they keep and what they trash from this feature in 7.0. Where would you take Garrisons next?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    So now we know that Garrisons (at least in their current form) will likely not carry over into the future expansions. However, much like the Farm turned into Garrisons, Garrisons will likely turn into something new. Be it a bigger Garrison, or a Boat, or even your own Faction. The Devs will take what they and us liked, and leave behind the things we don't.

So lets say you had the power to decide what they keep and what they trash from this feature in 7.0. Where would you take Garrisons next?
    Are you talking about the actual garrison will not carry over or the general concept? It is too early to tell because it is just the beginning. The devs will get a better idea later in the game if the garrison concept was popular enough for them to further refine it or reduce some of its functionality if they deemed it to be too game breaking or just remove it if the players complain enough.

7+ Year Old Account
    To motherfucking space for an Argus expansion. Like a Tempest Keep style garrison.
    I also just really want to see what Argus would look like.

Thanks to Visenna for the signature.

I wish there were a way to set what game music you want playing in your garrison.

Other than that, things like the fishing shack for my characters that don't fish seem utterly pointless. They're taking up valuable plot spaces I could use for something else, so I wish you could replace them.

More customizable building perks would be nice too. I got the inn solely because of the follower recruitment, but the dungeon quests are useless to me. Likewise, the bunker offering increased chance of upgrades from quest rewards after I'm done questing? Completely useless benefit now from what I can tell.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I wish there were a way to set what game music you want playing in your garrison.

Other than that, things like the fishing shack for my characters that don't fish seem utterly pointless. They're taking up valuable plot spaces I could use for something else, so I wish you could replace them.
    False. There's no reason to assume the free fishing hut is taking up anything but itself.

I do hope they keep garrisons moving forward. It seems like an easily understandable concept to establish your own base in new territory I'm not sure why the practice wouldn't carry on. I've spent a lot of time so far tending to my garrison, leveling and guiding my followers, sending them on missions and such. Soon I'll be gearing them up too. I really like this aspect of progress I get from the garrison.

Some personal issues I've encountered with the garrison are that frequently i'll have a list of available missions that none of my followers have the right ability for. Recruiting followers with certain traits will alleviate that over time but I think it would've been smoother to spread out the abilities on the followers you gain through questing or maybe give each follower more than 1 ability upon reaching a certain lvl. Right now it's based on rarity, and while I think you can lvl up a follower from common to rare by exp gain I think it needs to happen much earlier, like half way to 100 so you have more options/combinations for the higher lvl missions.

Moving forward, I also think that it would be cool to have your choice of art assets for your garrison. If you're an undead and you want tauren architecture, I think you should be able to make that happen. Maybe that task is monumental and I'm just unaware but still I think it'd be cool.

I'm not sure how much I like the Fishing Shack/Herb Garden/Mine. I think they sort of trivialize those gathering professions. (of course, I'm taking advantage of them, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It is a fixed building specificially so it doesn't use a regular customizible plot. You would get nothing if it didn't exist. In fact, they'd probably have made your garrison smaller if they had decided against including it.

Personally, i'd really like to see a battleship/gunship(depending on theme of the expansion) take on the garrison concept.

I would make garrisons in the next xpac, but I would make them optional. Give players who don't like them another way to get the same raid related or PVP bonuses. Personally, I don't do garrisons mostly for those bonuses anyway.

I want to see a level 4 garrison. I want to see guild garrisons. I want to see garrison vs garrison battles.

Deleted
    Completely dismiss/burn/destroy them, they do not belong in this game. Blizzard can release some facebook game instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    DCUO had a cool take on player housing and implementing 1v1 battles with them. It would be very cool to see them take Garrisons into PvP, but I'm sure Blizzard can do a MUCH better job than SOE did with DCUO. Taking the players into different parts of their garrison in which they did different mini-game style objectives in a Best of 5 or 7 kind of thing. There's a lot of potential with Garrisons.

I would design the garrison to be like what they initially proposed. Lots of freedom and customization, not a facebook game.

One word: Ships. It could fit in with some kind of South Seas type expansion where we sail across mysterious oceans.

Ships would be like Garrisons, except they'd be mobile obviously. Both factions would have ports in major ciites where you can dock your ship and this is where you could visit your friends ships. You could also do ship battles with random opposite faction NPCs or even PVP. Or use them to sail and explore random areas(this could be some kind of random daily scenario type thing, it'd be similar to Mass Effect 1 where you could fly to random planets).

Similar to Garrison, there would be ways to customize your ship. It'd be impossible to have everything, so you have to pick and choose. There would be ways to upgrade your ship's combat capabilities, like giving it extra and/or better cannons for increased damage, stronger hull for damage reductions, better sails to go faster, that kinda thing. But there would be other fun things too. Like a scuba boat which will allow you to explore ocean depths for treasures. Or a fishing net which would allow you to fish for some rare fish in the middle of the South Seas. There would be more active things, as opposed to the Garrison now which is mostly just click and wait for stuff to happen.

And there would be followers too, like the Garrison, which would follow kind of a pirate type theme. Call them your crew. Different crew members will have different strengths and you can assign them to roles on your ship. Some may be really good at sailing the ship, someone else might make a good quartermaster(better quartermaster could offer better or more unique loot), someone else might make a good First Mate who can offer some other sort of bonus, etc. Similar to follower missions now you could send your crewmates out to do a variety of things, like salvaging sunken ships, raiding an enemy ship, exploring a cave on an island, etc.