Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I just fish in the lava lake outside the garrison for lunkers, mainly because the food from the fire ammonites sells well (multistrike). making some gold is a minor compensation for the time put in. I usually fish while just waiting for raids so not so bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TeebsGaming View Post
    Amak's post indicates they got lunkers from garrison water using bait.
    You cant I'm on something stupid like ~20k fish caught overall because food on raid days make me 10-20k while I raid, You can however get both the Sea Turtle mounts, as I got them both within an hour of each other today from the [Lunarfall Carp / Horde version]

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrel View Post
    Even though it claims that fishing skill doesn't matter, I always find it easier to catch blind lake lunkers and fire ammonite lunkers than the others. can usually catch five in a half hour to an hour. where as other places I often never catch them at all even after hours.
    also I have never gotten a coin from the lunerfall carp summoned murlock, though the rest of the stuff he drops is helpful so there is that.
    As a result I usually just fish out in shadowmoon at the little pool near gloomshade.
    Fishing skill matters since 6.1. But all lunkers should have about the same chance, so there might be a problem on your side.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I started fishing lunkers with a friend yesterday in FFR to make it less painful, I got 7 in the time he got 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caillee View Post
    I started fishing lunkers with a friend yesterday in FFR to make it less painful, I got 7 in the time he got 2.
    Ah, the joys of RNG.

I got my fishing shack to level 3 and recruited Nat, and since then haven't caught a single lunker in approximately 4 hours of fishing out in the zones. I did finally give up on that and spent a further 40 minutes fishing in my garrison to get one of the carp. I got a coin and a 7-day temporary hat from that. So after 4 hours and 40 minutes of fishing, I have a single coin.

If the drop rate continues like that for me, in order to buy the mount, toy and both pets, I'd have to spend 933 hours fishing, or (38) twenty four hour days. Something about that... just isn't right.

I haven't even tried again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    Ah, the joys of RNG.

I got my fishing shack to level 3 and recruited Nat, and since then haven't caught a single lunker in approximately 4 hours of fishing out in the zones. I did finally give up on that and spent a further 40 minutes fishing in my garrison to get one of the carp. I got a coin and a 7-day temporary hat from that. So after 4 hours and 40 minutes of fishing, I have a single coin.
    lol wut? I get 1 of those carp every 5-10mins +100 hat, +100 rod, +200 bait.. 1100 Fishing gg you catch your 5 lunkers in about 15minutes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post
    lol wut? I get 1 of those carp every 5-10mins +100 hat, +100 rod, +200 bait.. 1100 Fishing gg you catch your 5 lunkers in about 15minutes
    Yep I was using them. I understand lunker drop rate was somewhat improved with 6.1, but as I said, I haven't bothered trying again. Barely playing right now, just resetting missions and checking the BMAH. If it weren't for the gold machine that is treasure hunter missions, I'd probably be taking a true non-playing break right now.

Back in 6.0 it was like 1% or less, so it's entirely conceivable that to go quite some time without getting a drop. I'm sure I'll get around to it again, but trying it before left a bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    Yep I was using them. I understand lunker drop rate was somewhat improved with 6.1, but as I said, I haven't bothered trying again. Barely playing right now, just resetting missions and checking the BMAH. If it weren't for the gold machine that is treasure hunter missions, I'd probably be taking a true non-playing break right now.

Back in 6.0 it was like 1% or less, so it's entirely conceivable that to go quite some time without getting a drop. I'm sure I'll get around to it again, but trying it before left a bad taste.
    you do have Nat Pagle working in the fishing shack when your fishing lunkers correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    you do have Nat Pagle working in the fishing shack when your fishing lunkers correct?
    Doesn't matter. I've had Nat deactivated since I got him and I can get 5 lunkers in about 15 minutes with 1100 fishing skill. My favorite spot to hang out is the Northern Spires of Arak spawn point for the Voidtalon portal. I don't even fish in pools either. I'm honestly not sure what Nat does.

Might just be crazy RNG right now re:carp/minnows but I recently faction changed. In my alliance garrison my carp catch rate was ~3.5% with a couple thousand cast sample size. In my horde garrison I'm catching minnows 17% of the time with just under 1k casts. Still no damn turtle mounts yet

Quote Originally Posted by chrrie View Post
    Doesn't matter. I've had Nat deactivated since I got him and I can get 5 lunkers in about 15 minutes with 1100 fishing skill. My favorite spot to hang out is the Northern Spires of Arak spawn point for the Voidtalon portal. I don't even fish in pools either. I'm honestly not sure what Nat does.

Might just be crazy RNG right now re:carp/minnows but I recently faction changed. In my alliance garrison my carp catch rate was ~3.5% with a couple thousand cast sample size. In my horde garrison I'm catching minnows 17% of the time with just under 1k casts. Still no damn turtle mounts yet
    Actually, that would be a bug. Lunkers shouldn't drop at all without Nat.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Actually, that would be a bug. Lunkers shouldn't drop at all without Nat.
    You can catch lunkers without Nat now, it seems be a change in 6.1. But you can only have five lunkers of one type though so it's not very useful for Nat-less alts.

Bit of a tip if you're Lunker hunting; if you have a Bodyguard active, you can use Pheromone Fish on them. It will apply the 5min/+100 skill buff onto you. This can be applied multiple times.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentronium View Post
    You can catch lunkers without Nat now, it seems be a change in 6.1. But you can only have five lunkers of one type though so it's not very useful for Nat-less alts.
    It was never stated anywhere, nor was anything ingame changed to reflect this. It might very well have been unintentionally introduced when they changed the drop rate, i.e. a bug.

The description for Nat Pagle's trait says that you can catch Lunkers without using lures if he's assigned to the shack.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    The description for Nat Pagle's trait says that you can catch Lunkers without using lures if he's assigned to the shack.
    Yeah, but it says nothing either way about whether they can be caught without him.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    Yeah, but it says nothing either way about whether they can be caught without him.
    I caught 5 Blackwater Lunkers with a level 2 shack and they were from pools. I was working on the achievements to get the level 3 shack. Then when I got the quest to catch a lunker in each area I was told you can't have more than 5 so I deleted 1. No lunker in 1 hour so I deleted them all. Caught one 5 minutes later but it was because I realized I didn't have his lure attached >.>

Bug or not you can catch lunkers with a level 2 shack and in pools. Once you get a level 3 shack you must have Nat assigned to it in order to catch Lunkers without his lure. If he is assigned bait is irrelevant to Lunkers it only helps avoid cathing Sabrefish. I can't confirm if Lunkers come from pools with a level 3 shack, haven't fished any pools. I just throw on Worm Supreme and Pheromone fish and I don't get many Sabrefish.
    Last edited by Taalyn; 2015-12-02 at 08:56 PM.