Destruction - Thunderlord vs Bleeding Hollow

Hi all

I looted a weapon yesterday that's good enough to blow some of those hard earned crystals on.
    I was pondering the difference between these 2 enchants.

Looking at simulations, stat weights are saying Crit but the general consensus seems to be Mastery.
    To break this down Mastery increases the damage of basic spells but does nothing for ember generation. Crit will increase the damage of chaos bolt and ember generation.
    So it boils down to what's the playstyle is.

I assume that the moment the enchant procs and you can fire away chaos bolts the crit enchant outweighs the mastery enchant but given movement, mastery is currently better at our current mastery levels.
    One thing to note is the improved chance on embers, especially in the opener where you have a guaranteed proc it might be so that we get an additional chaos bolt off.

In short, has anyone yet tested both of the enchants and has any comparison data?

10+ Year Old Account
    Use shattered hand, it's 15 times cheaper and gives you the same return.

Deleted
    crit enchant outweighs the mastery. No. Mastery outweighs crit by more than 2 times when casting chaos bolts. I tested it. Thunderlord for ember generation, Hallow for Chaos bolts. I chose Hallow because when you proc - you chaos bolt.

Deleted
    Thunderlord has about an uptime of 40% on average. I am not sure about the procrate and durations of Hallow, but the high uptime on Thunderlord helps a lot with both Embers and bolt periods.

a) If occasionally you switch to a different spec, go Bleeding Hollow because crit is not as good for Demo/Aff

b) Now if you're only playing destro: (i)if you monitor procs (which you should) and blow embers during that window, Bleeding Hollow is better than the crit enchant. (ii) If you can't be arsed to monitor the proc and just want a good, consistent buff to your dps and ember generation throughout the fight, go for Thunderlord.

TLDR: Most people go for Bleeding Hollow because it fits all specs and provides as good DPS as Thunderlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Use shattered hand, it's 15 times cheaper and gives you the same return.
    This. Shattered Hand sims 200 DPS ahead of Thunder lord for me. Sim yourself and see if it better. It averages 3% of my damage. Plus it's mad cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Angyarr45 View Post
    To break this down Mastery increases the damage of basic spells but does nothing for ember generation. Crit will increase the damage of chaos bolt and ember generation.
    So it boils down to what's the playstyle is.
    Just wanted to point out that crit also improves the damage of basic spells. Higher crit chance = Higher average damage of any given cast.

Mastery gives more of a damage increase than crit, but as you noted crit provides some extra embers and mastery doesn't.

I personally prefer crit, but I don't think there's a big difference at this gear level. And it's also true that shattered hand is a very cost effective option.

Bleeding Hollow is applicable, and good, for all three specs.

Thunderlord is arguably only good for Destro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilmir View Post
    Thunderlord has about an uptime of 40% on average. I am not sure about the procrate and durations of Hallow, but the high uptime on Thunderlord helps a lot with both Embers and bolt periods.
    hmm, for me, the mastery buff has an uptime about 45-50% on average, i will agree that the crit buff helps a lot at generating embers but you also need to remember that the mastery buff are generally more useful on more encounters simply bcoz there are more multi target fights than single target fights and mastery overtakes crit fast on multi target fights.

Thanks for the replies, running with bleeding hollow at the moment.

crit is simming way higher than mastery for me both single and 2 targets, will go crit enchant.

Went mastery, simply because the proc duration is insured, while the crit one is depending on proc, when it comes to length of the proc..
    Easier to time with CB dumping

if the price tag doesnt hurt, go with bleeding hollow