Help, I die constantly

Please help, I freely admit I boosted a mage to 90 and I constantly die.

I have 6 other 90s and those manage to stay alive just fine.

I'm level 93 frost spec.

I freeze stuff as much as possible but still just barely survive most fights against mobs my same level.

Is it supposed to be this hard?

you cant face tank things you will die, make sure to use ice barrier use your pets freeze ability as well as your own and use ice floes to cast while kiting them, the key thing to leveling a frost mage is always keep distance between you and your opponent it takes some practice i wont lie to you but just make sure when you freeze them to strafe away and cast a fb with ice floes if they get to close and you have no freeze use a Cone of cold and blink away, also dont forget about ice block its super useful.

Mostly though just try and use your freezes and slow's ring of frost both freezes cone of cold etc etc and use frozen orb for those tasty fof procs.

Go to Noxxic learn your class, I had the same issue playing a Demonology Warlock i boosted. It should stop about 94-95, from what I've heard on Eitrigg-US and Garrosh-US it's pretty unfavorable to Mages, Warlocks, and Rogues after a boost.

Also when you can upgrade your barracks to level 2 and bring a follower with you... a pocket tank is a wonderful thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    Go to Noxxic learn your class, I had the same issue playing a Demonology Warlock i boosted. It should stop about 94-95, from what I've heard on Eitrigg-US and Garrosh-US it's pretty unfavorable to Mages, Warlocks, and Rogues after a boost.
    Dont. There is nice guide in these forums. Use Barrier, Ice nova, pet freeze and cooldowns when they are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokrei View Post
    Dont. There is nice guide in these forums. Use Barrier, Ice nova, pet freeze and cooldowns when they are ready.
    This x1000 noxxic is the equivalent of wanting to learn to play piano and getting a lesson book that teaches you chopsticks, it has no depth or theory in all honesty forums are always the best place to learn ask questions which is what op did so +5 to you op, any way looking at kuni's guide is very good but in reality your just going to have to learn to kite and survive which is probably difficult just picking it up at 90 i mean i've been playing mage since vanilla and still learn new things all the time.

While leveling/dungeon grinding, turn off Water Jet. For leveling, it's a nearly 100% useless spell and infinitely worse than your pet's Freeze. Freeze on its own gives you a great amount of control over attacking mobs. Make sure you're spec'd into and using Ice Nova as well, especially if you accidentally pull more than you intended.

The typical pull should go: (Open with FB) -> pet Freeze (bonus if there's more than one mob as you'll get two FoF charges) -> burn FoF charges/IN -> FOrb if there's lots of mobs that will take awhile to die. If you're doing a larger elite mob, use the same general rotation, just add in Icy Veins and Time Warp if needed. I used Blazing Speed and Double Blink glyph while leveling as well, just in case I fucked up and facetanked too much shit.

edit: Ice Barrier as well can help out. I found that even wearing mostly H-SoO gear, the mobs towards 97-100 started requiring me to use defensives and play intelligently. I personally used GI to get out of clutch situations since I liked to pull entire areas at once, but Cauterize can also be useful.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2014-12-16 at 09:13 PM.

Ok, I admit it. The only reason I looked into this thread is because I thought the OP was gonna get flamed off this board. What's this? Actual constructive help. Here here. My faith in the mage community is thus restored. Bravo!

On topic...yes, freeze ( and sheep) everything. I can image a boosted mage with quest gear would be challenging for even seasoned players. Stick with it and you should be doing fine before you hit 100. Welcome to the community!

Deleted
    Go to Noxxic learn your class
    Why do people keep doing this.

i honestly preferred to level as arcane due to a constant slow and being able to sustain a constant burst on the mobs. i tried leveling as frost from 98-100 and eventually changed back to arcane at 99 because i felt like frost was hard to level with only questing gear and killing mobs without procs was way to long. you can try that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yahdone View Post
    i honestly preferred to level as arcane due to a constant slow and being able to sustain a constant burst on the mobs. i tried leveling as frost from 98-100 and eventually changed back to arcane at 99 because i felt like frost was hard to level with only questing gear and killing mobs without procs was way to long. you can try that as well.
    This. Arcane hits a lot harder for single target. Just try not pull too many mobs at once.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yahdone View Post
    i honestly preferred to level as arcane due to a constant slow and being able to sustain a constant burst on the mobs.
    Except frost is better in both these aspects if you know what you're doing. It has constant slow and higher burst with FoF procs. I managed to take on 5-6 mobs at once while leveling frost and struggled with two as arcane.

Go to Noxxic
    and
    learn your class
    don't usually go together. If you have problems dying try to kite stuff, use your utility skills like blink or nova/freeze. Also make sure you use your damaging abilities properly so mobs die as quickly as possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    Please help, I freely admit I boosted a mage to 90 and I constantly die.

I have 6 other 90s and those manage to stay alive just fine.

I'm level 93 frost spec.

I freeze stuff as much as possible but still just barely survive most fights against mobs my same level.

Is it supposed to be this hard?
    Need to focus on your kiting abilities while leveling. Talent choice makes a big difference in soloing (recommend Blazing Speed, Ice Barrier, Greater Invisibility, Ice Nova, and Mirror Image)...these add up to better kiting.

Blazing Speed can help increase distance quickly after a freeze or slow from FB or FFB. Ice Barrier lets you take a hit or two if you can't avoid it. Greater Invisibility gives you both a more frequent exit out of battle as well as a massive reduction in damage if not fully successful in getting out of combat (basically another pseudo Ice Block). Ice Nova becomes a much more frequent freeze with very good damage. Mirror Image is invaluable as threat redirection.

Also helpful is to macro your elemental's freeze to your Frostfire Bolt (you don't have to use it every time, but it brings it up as an option every time it is available without selecting it separately). Consider glyphing Ice Block for the auto freeze / damage reduction.

Finally, keep in mind that as a squishy you are going to run into situations where you just need to run (shouldn't be all that frequent, but it is going to happen). This is where Greater Invisibility kicks in. Just get out, reset your approach and have at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokrei View Post
    Oh dont listen to this. Spec Arcane and just hit one button - AB-AB-AB-AB-...

Out of the four classes I've leveled to 100 mages are by far the hardest to level. (Dk/druid/priest are the others). Make good use of your talents. Kite. Use mirror images to drop threat and get some uninterrupted casting. Take greater invisiblity as a get out of jail card (1min c/d that removes dots and drops combat -yes pls. Just remember to dismiss the ele). Pick up glyph of regenerative ice. Take ice barrier. And remember - when you get to 100 and start getting gear you're gonna be awesome.

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Oh dont listen to this. Spec Arcane and just hit one button - AB-AB-AB-AB-...
    Arcane is definitely better for the 1v1 mob killing route. However with frost, the ability to kite and aoe at the same time is way too strong to simply ignore.

It takes a lot of practice to get it right, and a lot of what you do is reactionary, but when you get a system working Frost is much stronger for power leveling than arcane. You want to run with Ice Floes, Ice barrier, Ring of Frost, Greater Invis, Ice Nova, and Incanter's Flow as well as Glyph of Splitting Ice. You start out by grabbing as 4-5 mobs with ice lance and get them to clump up like a ball. Then you pop Frozen Orb into the group and spam Ice Nova and and burn any Finger's of Frost charges. If anything is still alive, get some distance with blink and pet freeze. Then use either Ring of Frost and pick them off one at a time or use Ice Floes and Blizzard while moving. If you have the improved Blizzard this will recharge your Frozen orb faster so you can use it again on the next pull.

Swap out Incanter's Flow of Mirror images if you are facing a mob that can't be slowed or frozen and get distance between you, your images, and your water elemental.
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing