Thread: DfA Random Idea

DfA Random Idea

Considering Death from Above is currently a DPS loss in PvE, and Combat and Subt both lack an execute, what if DfA was buffed to, for example, do double (or some reasonable multiple of) damage on targets below 35% life?

10+ Year Old Account
    It would still be a dead talent for 65% of the fight.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    Like Execute is without Sudden Death?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    If properly balanced it can be on par over the length of the fight. Would be desirable for bosses which must be killed fast from <35%.

Probably not the best design but still better than no use at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Like Execute is without Sudden Death?
    But Execute isn't a talent. And a level 100 while we're at it.

Deleted
    DfA should be just buffed by a good amount of damage and the cooldown increased. Then we are starting to get actual choices: Higher sustained damage (VR), small burst (DfA), high burst (kinda... needs buffs too, SR). Wouldn't use it in the current PvE raids though, most of the time, I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just make it cost less Energy so it doesn't feel so clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    DfA should be just buffed by a good amount of damage and the cooldown increased. Then we are starting to get actual choices: Higher sustained damage (VR), small burst (DfA), high burst (kinda... needs buffs too, SR). Wouldn't use it in the current PvE raids though, most of the time, I think.
    Not possible. Too high of burst means pvp says no. Also, higher damage and longer CD still makes it crap for an over the long dps gain which is really what rogues are after atm.

Honestly I don't know why it didn't just get the Chi Explosion treatment and change it so that it essentially just becomes an empowered evic/envenom. Also, it would be nice if they changed it so that it was more like a shadow/clone thing that did the animation and kept us on the ground so that we could continue melee hitting. That alone would fix the biggest problem the talent has of lost melee swings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warstar View Post
    Not possible. Too high of burst means pvp says no. Also, higher damage and longer CD still makes it crap for an over the long dps gain which is really what rogues are after atm.

Honestly I don't know why it didn't just get the Chi Explosion treatment and change it so that it essentially just becomes an empowered evic/envenom. Also, it would be nice if they changed it so that it was more like a shadow/clone thing that did the animation and kept us on the ground so that we could continue melee hitting. That alone would fix the biggest problem the talent has of lost melee swings.
    I don't care for pvp and pvp should be seperated from the main game like in GW2. :/ Also I doubt that a 30-40 sek cd with a decent burst would be too OP for pvp
    But it could be changed, true.

Step 1: Highlight DfA code
    Step 2: <delete>
    Step 3: <save>
    Step 4: Create new, better talent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merope View Post
    Come on, from the level 100 tier talents, DfA actually was the interesting one. If something from that tier needed scraping, it would be the other boring two talents. Come on, LZ increases your haste passively, that's really exciting... or SR which is yet another "macro this CDs together" ability.

All that DfA needs is better tuning so it is rewarding to use as an active and potentially dangerous ability. The energy cost is fine because the ability takes some time too execute and you'd risk capping your energy if the cost was lower. But maybe it needn't cost any CP and still do it's full damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorefel View Post
    The energy cost is fine because the ability takes some time too execute and you'd risk capping your energy if the cost was lower.
    Instead you could always decrease energy regen for the duration of the ability by a multiplier X and reduce cost proportionally.

As in DfA costs 25 Energy but your (natural) energy regeneration will be decreased by 100% for 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Merope View Post
    Replace with shadow blades..

Quote Originally Posted by nihna View Post
    Instead you could always decrease energy regen for the duration of the ability by a multiplier X and reduce cost proportionally.

As in DfA costs 25 Energy but your (natural) energy regeneration will be decreased by 100% for 2 seconds.
    Really, what's the difference between capping and losing 25 energy, and spending 50 energy and then getting 25 back?

Hint: The only difference is you don't have the awkward pause to pool energy before using the ability in some situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post

I hear mut rogues ask for Shadow Blades often, but I think that's just because of the poor design of Vendetta. Really, Shadow Blades was a terrible cooldown that you just macro'ed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dak1 View Post
    Really, what's the difference between capping and losing 25 energy, and spending 50 energy and then getting 25 back?

Hint: The only difference is you don't have the awkward pause to pool energy before using the ability in some situations.
    I don't think I understand what you are trying to tell me here... as far as I understand it you seem to recognize it as an improvement, don't you? That's good, isn't it?

I moved half of the front cost to the following 2 seconds, which imo creates smoother gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    This. Though I really like SR as a mut rogue in both pve and pvp. PvP especially.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by nihna View Post
    I don't think I understand what you are trying to tell me here... as far as I understand it you seem to recognize it as an improvement, don't you? That's good, isn't it?

I moved half of the front cost to the following 2 seconds, which imo creates smoother gameplay.
    I think they made it cost 50 energy because they were afraid people would complain about energy capping during the animation (you get about 50 energy back from it exactly). Which to be honest, is probably true, even though it's dumb.

Other than the energy capping, there's little point in making DfA cost more energy than other finishers. In fact, I think there's little point in making finishers cost energy at all (and then refunding the energy), but that's a topic for another thread.

Basically, I'm saying your slower energy regen mechanic, while technically better than what currently exists, is overly complicated and trying too hard to mimic the current cost of the ability, for which there really is little justification. The simple solution is just lower or remove the energy cost.

Quote Originally Posted by dak1 View Post
    I hear mut rogues ask for Shadow Blades often, but I think that's just because of the poor design of Vendetta. Really, Shadow Blades was a terrible cooldown that you just macro'ed.
    You mean like Shadow Reflection? At least Shadow Blades was good for all 3 specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    You mean like Shadow Reflection? At least Shadow Blades was good for all 3 specs.
    Shadow Reflection tends to be a boring macro'd talent in PvE, in particular when you're sitting on one raid boss. It has much more potential than just Shadow Blades though, especially in PvP, although I could see some creative uses for it in PvE too.

That doesn't mean I'm quite happy with how SR is implemented atm, but it definitely has the potential to be far more interesting than Shadow Blades (or Venom Rush).