GEAR ilvl vs stats

Hey all,

I wanted some advice on gearing for Unholy. As an example if I currently have a 630ilvl bracer with multistrike and crit, then later I receive a 640ilvl bracer with crit and haste. Which of them should I equip? Is ilvl more important(i.e the extra str) or is it better to go for gear with the right stats?

Thanks

if the upgrade is 10 ilvls higher then it's better for you regardless of stats.

Pretty much what alkyd said. If it's warforged and with tertiary stats it sometimes becomes fussier to decide a clear winner, but that's not going to be a decision you're making often at this time.

Deleted
    The way to be 100 % sure is to calculate the stat weight of each item, and see which is better

so an UH DK stat weights are :

Strength 6.3
    Multistrike 3.5
    Mastery 3.4
    Crit 2.65
    Vers 2.5
    Haste 2.1

So say you have a set of bracers with

Stength 100
    Multi 101
    Mastery 102

you would do (6.3 x100)+(3.5x101)+(3.4X102)= 1330.3

Then you pick a set up with

Stength 150
    Haste 103
    Vers 104

You would

(6.3 x150)+(2.1 x 103) + (104 x 2.1) =1379.7

So the second ones would be better

I got simulation craft installed, how do I figure my stats weight? Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdkay View Post
    The way to be 100 % sure is to calculate the stat weight of each item, and see which is better

so an UH DK stat weights are :

Strength 6.3
    Multistrike 3.5
    Mastery 3.4
    Crit 2.65
    Vers 2.5
    Haste 2.1

So say you have a set of bracers with

Stength 100
    Multi 101
    Mastery 102

you would do (6.3 x100)+(3.5x101)+(3.4X102)= 1330.3

Then you pick a set up with

Stength 150
    Haste 103
    Vers 104

You would

(6.3 x150)+(2.1 x 103) + (104 x 2.1) =1379.7

So the second ones would be better
    Those stat weights are by no means close to accurate. Sim for yourself and go off those. Multistrike and mastery are a solid ~0.50 dps per point seperate from eachother now that simcraft has finally been fixed to stop double dipping into mastery.

To find your stat weights, import your character from the armory via the import tab. Go to the options and select the scaling tab, Enable scaling function and select all applicable traits for your character. After that go to the simulate tab, your current profile should be selected. Then hit simulate in the bottom right of your window. After a few minutes it should spit out a result at you.

Things to keep in mind, Simcraft assumes low latency, elite skill, purely patchwerk by default, and i believe 10k iterations (if the iterations on the option page isnt 10k set it to 10k). Your actual in game numbers wont mirror simcraft by any means. However it allows you to put a % efficiency on your character.

Beginning dks in my guild will often play between 60-70% sim efficiency and elite dks (i hold numerous number 1-10 ranks across normal and heroic and had a number 4 mythic ogron ranking on tuesday) will operate >95% efficiency purely single target. Once you add multiple targets and movement the numbers can inflate or deflate. The name of the game is to get your %sim efficiency as close to 100% as humanly possible and to improve steadily over time.
    Last edited by Tunick; 2014-12-21 at 12:13 AM.

I agree that those weights aren't accurate, those seem like weights done before the SR mastery bug was fixed, which made Mastery a lot higher weighted then it should be. Now it's pretty even between the other secondaries besides MS, although it still follows the same pattern, just closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    I agree that those weights aren't accurate, those seem like weights done before the SR mastery bug was fixed, which made Mastery a lot higher weighted then it should be. Now it's pretty even between the other secondaries besides MS, although it still follows the same pattern, just closer.
    Pls, how do I find out what are my stats weight? I have simcraft installed.

Quote Originally Posted by olivete View Post
    Pls, how do I find out what are my stats weight? I have simcraft installed.
    Under the tab of "Options" you click on the sub tab of "Scaling".
    From there pick anything you wana scale (for dps I just pick STR, weapon DPS, Crit, Vers, Haste, MS, and Mastery).
    Then just run a simulation of your profile (which you do by using the import tab and finding your character on the armory, then clicking import).

It will take a bit longer then usual because of the scaling, the actual simulation will be done in 2-3 mins but the scaling part takes a little longer. Just be patient and it will get it all done and worked out for you.

Under the tab of "Options" you click on the sub tab of "Scaling".
    From there pick anything you wana scale (for dps I just pick STR, weapon DPS, Crit, Vers, Haste, MS, and Mastery).
    Then just run a simulation of your profile (which you do by using the import tab and finding your character on the armory, then clicking import).

It will take a bit longer then usual because of the scaling, the actual simulation will be done in 2-3 mins but the scaling part takes a little longer. Just be patient and it will get it all done and worked out for you.
    Gonna try it! Ty alot!!!!

What is the weight for mastery now, anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    What is the weight for mastery now, anyhow?
    For my personal weights it went down something like 0.40, from 2.20 (or something like that) to 1.84 (or something like that). Pretty much it just makes MS the clear winner compared to Mastery.

Deleted
    Go with the higher ilvl unless you are actually trying to progress in a guild or on mythic. Most pugs just look at ilvl when selecting you plus the dps gain/loss isn't going to be that massive.

Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    if the upgrade is 10 ilvls higher then it's better for you regardless of stats.
    Not always true. The extra str should make the higher item lvl equipment pull ahead but it doesn't always.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Pretty much what alkyd said. If it's warforged and with tertiary stats it sometimes becomes fussier to decide a clear winner, but that's not going to be a decision you're making often at this time.
    The items you get from garrison missions are also ending up with higher stat levels then the item level would normally give so those can get tricky too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Thanks for you all your answers! So I downloaded simcraft and just used the default settings to calculate stat weights by selecting them in Options>Scaling. I'm wondering if my stat weights will be the same for every DK or is it dependent on my current gear or something else?

Deleted
    If you go from 630 - 640 look go for secondary stats, if you go from 630 - 645+ always take that item

Quote Originally Posted by Pkey View Post
    Thanks for you all your answers! So I downloaded simcraft and just used the default settings to calculate stat weights by selecting them in Options>Scaling. I'm wondering if my stat weights will be the same for every DK or is it dependent on my current gear or something else?
    For the most part stat weights are individual as your gear affects it in most cases. However for Unholy, it's always going to be MS>mastery>Crit>vers>haste

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    If you go from 630 - 640 look go for secondary stats, if you go from 630 - 645+ always take that item
    Even at 645 I've had plenty of items that weren't upgrades.
    The best answer is if you want to know if something is an upgrade sim yourself, then equip the item and do it again.

there is only very a few gears for you to choose in Highmaul

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the most part stat weights are individual as your gear affects it in most cases. However for Unholy, it's always going to be MS>mastery>Crit>vers>haste

Even at 645 I've had plenty of items that weren't upgrades.
    The best answer is if you want to know if something is an upgrade sim yourself, then equip the item and do it again.
    You sure that wasnt using faulty Mastery values? With mastery now fixed in simc I'm pretty sure there are no 630 MS/Mastery gear that beat a 645 (even haste + vers)

Here's an extremely easy way to compare two items. http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/pawn

It's an addon that adds values to an items tooltip, displaying it's sum of stat weights, making it very simple to compare. You can change the stat weights inside the addon. The most accurate way to get ways is from simcraft, as others have mentioned.
    Remember
    Me