Lightbulb optimal spec for proving grounds

I've been trying to get to wave 30 in proving grounds for dat der proven assailant title and only gotten to 23, was wondering what you guys would think the best spec'd be for it. I feel that BM and MM are stronger than SV due to the limited burst (no dps cooldown). But I feel SV could be the best if you go fully mobile with lone wolf instead of focusing shot which seems horrible when you need to focus on mobility

I was unable to complete it as MM because of lack of AOE damage but I feel the same way if I went SV I think I would lack the burst

I've gotten farthest with MM but you definitely need to use barrage and rapid fire in round 3 13 and 23

Proving grounds have never really been my scene, so this may seem stupid. But with it scaling to the same level as challenge modes, wouldn't BM serve you best like it does in challenge modes? It gives you burst in both AoE and single target, and on a shorter CD than with MM.

For me, i liked doing it with SV better than MM, but this is probably largely due to my playstyle during the waves (i prefer high movement).

getting 30+ comes down to having a solid strat for each of the waves and a plan for getting to 30 (managing zerkings, etc). and yes, this means pre-trapping each level, so you need to know where each wave will spawn.

place a raid flare down on the side of the interior circle that faces the door. this was my frame of reference for mob spawn locations.

The 'hard' waves for me were 6 and 8. i popped a zerking buff on 8 and 10. i popped personal cds (my on use trinket, lolsvcds) for 3, 5, 8, 10

wave 6 strat: pretrap one of the two mystics, pretrap explosive the center. start wave with a barrage hitting everything but your trapped mystic. unload dps on the untrapped mystic, ignoring heals (you are baiting heals by dmging the center mobs). save interrupts (count your frost trap cd as an interrupt) for second mystic.

wave 8 strat: get a serpent sting rolling on each mob, pop cds and interrupt mystic. have mystic either sub-20% or dead by time first banshee spawns. pop zerking when this happens, blow up first banshee, save barrage for when second + third are up at same time (aim it at both other mobs as well), then finish off the other mobs.

for the other waves, use the amber shapers to your advantage, as well as murder of crows' cd reset. also important is getting a few mobs rolling with serpent sting so you dont have as much to do as the wave winds down.

other 'oh, duh' things - use cheetah all the time. glyph of black ice was also marginally useful at times.

I did it to 23 with MM, barrage and exotic ammunition poison and switching to fire ammo for waves 3,13,23. Without lone wolf and since all the raid buffs are already covered I choose the nether ray for bloodlust, the 10 mins cd resets just in time for the last big guy.
    Done this way it becomes very nice, all the cd and spell clicks together, just remember to switch the ammunition at 23, I didn't because I was bored and I failed...

it really doesn't require much planning unless you're trying to rank. just have a at least a cd or berserk buff for wave 10/20/30, and otherwise use them when you feel like you might not beat the clock. you don't need to know what, when, or where mobs are going to spawn before they do, you just need to react appropriately when they do. all three specs are completely viable, but as for the most optimal one, i'd say that's probably the one you feel most comfortable with.

Found it pretty easy as MM with lone wolf. AoE really sucked though.
    Glyph of no escape and pre trap every wave for a free crit.
    As for proving grounds scaling, I don't think it's the same as challenge modes. It scales up with you instead of scaling you down.
    Last edited by Timp; 2014-12-22 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantof View Post
    Proving grounds have never really been my scene, so this may seem stupid. But with it scaling to the same level as challenge modes, wouldn't BM serve you best like it does in challenge modes? It gives you burst in both AoE and single target, and on a shorter CD than with MM.
    I haven't done a lot of Proving Grounds in WoD, but I did spend hours trying to get to Endless 30 as BM in MoP; finally gave up and had it within a few tries on SV.

The problem is that the pet has major major major derp deciding what to attack, and has a lot of delay in attacking it, and if you happen to be shooting something different than what the pet decides on, he spends half his time running around like a headless chicken... and when half your DPS is being a headless chicken, the multiple-mob waves become difficult. It is quite effective on the AOE bits, it is reasonably good on the single target waves... but whenever there's more than a couple mobs up, and especially if there's distance between them... bah. From what I saw on getting silver and gold in WoD, the pet derp hasn't improved.

Likely SV for SS dots and decent AoE. Only drawback would be doo doo burst for the large adds.

Deleted
    you don't need any burst (cooldowns) for the large adds. wave 5/15/25 can be done without berserking simply by following your standard SV rotation and for 10/20/30 you can do the same with berserking

i got to 42 (fucked up a small banshee with no pressure -.-) as SV with TotH/Crows/Barrage/LW and I think anything up into the 60s should be doable without witchcraft