So I really enjoy my rogue, so questions...

I keep hearing rogues are being benched in pve and stuck as combat in pvp but recently ive being doing randoms for the heck of it as assassination and the playstyle suites me and i know i have a long ways to go before i consider myself good but I've been enjoying myself. Question is that my friends in my guild want to start raiding and doing rbgs, they asked if i wanted to reroll and finish leveling my hunter. I told them that i rather roll with my rogue but with all the nay say going on about rogues...will i really be holding my guild back if i continue? Because i do want to put all focus on my rogue now than dabbling into many alts due to nerfs and buffs down the line. Anyone have any insight on how competitive we will be?

If you want to play your Rogue because you enjoy it then I would be adamant but if you enjoy the raiding experience more then I would adjust for the guild you're in now or find a new guild that is accepting rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by GreedyNinja View Post
    If you want to play your Rogue because you enjoy it then I would be adamant but if you enjoy the raiding experience more then I would adjust for the guild you're in now or find a new guild that is accepting rogues.
    Well i guess i might as well practice being on top of my game because they might let me, so ill try to work with the numbers and stick with it.

If your DPS is competitive to their raid team's DPS(top 5 every fight) then there is no issue.

I'm leading a raiding guild at the moment on my rogue and my DPS is just as high as the "top DPS" classes in our raid group (Ele, Fury, Balance). If you take the time to learn your Rogue inside and out, you should have no problem keeping up. And just remember, once BRF comes out, the gear is MUCH better optimized for Sub or Assassination than it is in Highmaul at the moment.

Now the one thing I will suggest, if you want to pull good numbers on your Rogue, switch to Sub. I absolutely LOVE Assassination. It's always been my favorite spec, but if you want to show them that it's worth bringing you in, you're going to pull MUCH better DPS playing Sub than you would playing Assassination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SylintGaming View Post
    I'm leading a raiding guild at the moment on my rogue and my DPS is just as high as the "top DPS" classes in our raid group (Ele, Fury, Balance). If you take the time to learn your Rogue inside and out, you should have no problem keeping up. And just remember, once BRF comes out, the gear is MUCH better optimized for Sub or Assassination than it is in Highmaul at the moment.

Now the one thing I will suggest, if you want to pull good numbers on your Rogue, switch to Sub. I absolutely LOVE Assassination. It's always been my favorite spec, but if you want to show them that it's worth bringing you in, you're going to pull MUCH better DPS playing Sub than you would playing Assassination.
    Once again, someone who thinks rogues are fine because she/he manages to be in top 5 DPS of his own guild. These figures are proving you wrong on two statements :
    1) Sub is not the best DPS output.
    2) If you learn your rogue, you still do not have the tools to compete with those who also learned their class. At most, you will be better than bad players of other classes.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/6/#

In Mythic difficulty, we may reasonnably think the rogues who still have a raid spot are pushing the rogue class to its upper limits... and are, of course, not struggling with the combo point change anymore... But they only manage to remain at the last third of the DPS scale.
    Furthermore, as the iLEvel is higher in Mythic, these figures are also saying that whereas rogues were getting better in the former expansions with iLevel, this improvement mechanism is now broken and rogues are going down deepr and deeper in the DPS charts.
    Last edited by mmoc972a289242; 2014-12-27 at 01:14 PM.

Deleted
    Rogues are stacking worse with gear right now than we ever have before in WoW. It used to be that rogues got better with gear, but with the big gear and scaling changes Blizzard has implemented it is not so anymore. Rogues are simply just tuned for low-damage at the moment, and blizzards stance on this apparent fact is rather worrying.

Problems with rogues right now is not only low-damage, it's:

-Outdated class mechanics. Example: Rogue finishing moves cost energy and combo-points, and instantly after reward energy back. This makes for a clunky energy-management, compared to Monks and Druids.

-The fact that Blizzard apply certain design philosophies to all classes BUT the rogue. For example: Cooldown-stacking and positional requirements. This along with other things makes the rogue feel outdated.

-Bland and boring talent-tree with little to no actual choice. The only tree in the game (along with DK) that does not change at all through all 3 specs.

-In the current progression raiding meta-game Rogues need 2 Gear sets with different stats to perform viable Single-target and AoE damage and change their spec depending on the fight.
    With the way gear is now Hybrids need 1 gear set to principally do MORE AoE and Single-target DPS than any of the 3 rogues specs.
    They can also Tank and Heal (if needed) with almost same ilvl (not weapon).
    Making hybrids much more valueable to a raid like this puts a huge tax on the rogue class.

Yes, the rogue has great survivability with Feint + Cloak. But remember, using Feint you sacrifice dps. This "sacrifice dps for survival" was removed from other classes where the rogue is left with this outdated mechanic.

Smoke bomb? Compare other (pure) 3-dps-spec-classes and you will see how completely lacking rogues are in the utility part...

I'm going to keep playing my rogue because... reasons...
    Last edited by mmoc02442228ec; 2014-12-27 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekah View Post
    If your DPS is competitive to their raid team's DPS(top 5 every fight) then there is no issue.
    This.

If you like the class, and are pulling your own weight in your raid, then there shouldn't be an issue. Yes, the class has issues, but unless you're class stacking I wouldn't worry about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cfStatic View Post
    This.

If you like the class, and are pulling your own weight in your raid, then there shouldn't be an issue. Yes, the class has issues, but unless you're class stacking I wouldn't worry about it.
    Yes, what you mention makes sense and I agree with you. Personnaly, only raiding twice a week at low level I usually manage to finish in the upper part of the DPS chart as an Assassination rogue. I am not complaining and my guild is apparently not complaining also. But I keep my eyes on the parses of top guilds to have a better idea of what the future will be... and I see dark clouds on the horizon...