whats a good heirloom armor that i can buy and use on all classes for levelling?

looking at buying some heirloom back piece and head piece for now (and legs when i get more rep with my guild)

was wondering which armor can i get and use for all my classes (just for the xp boost?

i was thinking cloth (since everyone can wear cloth) and strenght (since lotta classes need strength)? is this a good idea since i dont have a lot of money and just want the xp bonus?
    jedi? dark jedi!

7+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that since 6.0, if your class/spec doesn't use a stat, you don't get any benefit from having that stat on your gear. Strength is used by death knights, warriors, and paladins (prot and ret only). Strength does not do ANYTHING for any other classes. They don't even get a strength bonus for equipping it.

Same goes with intellect...warriors, death knights, non-holy paladins, and any class without a mana bar do not get any benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Keep in mind that since 6.0, if your class/spec doesn't use a stat, you don't get any benefit from having that stat on your gear. Strength is used by death knights, warriors, and paladins (prot and ret only). Strength does not do ANYTHING for any other classes. They don't even get a strength bonus for equipping it.

Same goes with intellect...warriors, death knights, non-holy paladins, and any class without a mana bar do not get any benefit from it.
    which classses dont have a stat? i thought all classes have a primary stat.

but yeah if i just use the 2-3 heirloom pieces for the xp bonus is that ok? i dont mind missing a little stat as long as i can still be ok.
    jedi? dark jedi!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can literally level to lvl 80 Naked.

Having a few pieces of gear as "unintended" primary stats will not affect you really, since you will still get the Stam/Secondary stats anyway.

Go Cloth gear if you want the most versatile minus Primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    You can literally level to lvl 80 Naked.

Having a few pieces of gear as "unintended" primary stats will not affect you really, since you will still get the Stam/Secondary stats anyway.

Go Cloth gear if you want the most versatile minus Primary.
    right on thanks

what do you mean you can level to 80 naked lol? with 0 armor and stats wouldn't u die quick? also i dont see myself lasting long in in a dungeon group if they see me naked lol.
    jedi? dark jedi!

Quote Originally Posted by bolnahalke View Post
    right on thanks

what do you mean you can level to 80 naked lol? with 0 armor and stats wouldn't u die quick? also i dont see myself lasting long in in a dungeon group if they see me naked lol.
    The amount of stats you get from gear is not very important compared to the stats you get from just leveling. It'll accelerate your leveling, sure, but you don't need it at all.

I don't know whether having your weapon counts as being 'naked' because that's still important for most classes.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by bolnahalke View Post
    which classses dont have a stat? i thought all classes have a primary stat.

but yeah if i just use the 2-3 heirloom pieces for the xp bonus is that ok? i dont mind missing a little stat as long as i can still be ok.
    30% XP bonus probably out-ways the reduction in killing speed from being in appropriate gear. Factor in non combat time and "wrong" heirlooms should pull ahead significantly. If kill speed becomes an issue, you can always use macro's to switch gear before turning in a load of quests.

I would go with a cloth shoulder piece. Out of the 10% XP items, it has the least amount of stats assigned to it. For 2nd piece a cloth helmet would be a good choice, they are one of the last pieces you get without heirlooms. If you want to use heirlooms on the largest amount of characters, always go with cloth.

If you're going to go be cheap and want the XP bonus, then yes, cloth is the way to go.

Just keep in mind that heirloom gear has 2 benefits: the XP bonus and gear that generously scales in stats as you level. If you pick a bad attribute you'll still get the bonus XP but make one of your item slots essentially worthless. Instead of having an item that makes you stronger, you'll basically be penalizing yourself, so the rest of your gear will be much more important to maintain.

As some others have said, you don't really need the extra stats from gear, you'll just have a harder time of it than if you had the correct gear. Probably 20% weaker than someone else with normal gear, maybe 30-40% weaker than someone with the correct heirloom gear.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    If you're going to go be cheap and want the XP bonus, then yes, cloth is the way to go.

Just keep in mind that heirloom gear has 2 benefits: the XP bonus and gear that generously scales in stats as you level. If you pick a bad attribute you'll still get the bonus XP but make one of your item slots essentially worthless. Instead of having an item that makes you stronger, you'll basically be penalizing yourself, so the rest of your gear will be much more important to maintain.

As some others have said, you don't really need the extra stats from gear, you'll just have a harder time of it than if you had the correct gear. Probably 20% weaker than someone else with normal gear, maybe 30-40% weaker than someone with the correct heirloom gear.
    With what I bolded, the abundance in Stam and Haste/Crit on pretty much every piece of heirloom gear means that a Cloth piece is still not useless, whilst you aren't stronger through Str/Agi/int, You will still often be just as strong compared to simple green items you pick up from quests, since you will cast faster/crt more often/have more Stam.

Having a Cloth Heirloom with 40 Stam, 40 Crit/Haste and a useless Primary, will still even out around the same as a piece of green quest gear of the same Character level that had like 20str/20stam. Heirlooms have incredibly large stat budgets for equivalent levels.

You're mostly looking for the XP boost, so the stats aren't really that big of a deal. All of them have stamina and that's all you need. If you can afford two sets, I'd get cloth head and int cloak for casters and leather head + any other cloak for melee.