7+ Year Old Account

[SHADOW] DPS Rotation

Hi guys!

I've levelled a Shadow priest as my main alt, and I plan on getting into alt raids in my guild. Could someone give me a basic priority rotation?

I was also wondering about optimal talents (Insanity and CoP?) and how to manage dots during certain times (Executes - 40% SW buff with no dots?)

When do I dot, when don't I dot? Is Surge of Darkness better than Insanity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Assuming you don't take CoP, it's Vampiric Touch, Shadow Word: Pain (can be cast in any order I'd assume just don't let them fall off), Mind Blast on cd, Mind Flay filler, and Devouring Plague when you can. If you took Insanity, you can usually go 2 full Mind Flay casts before having to recast Mind Blast so no real change as I can see.

But if what I heard is correct, Surge of Darkness is good for high movement where Insanity is good if you can stay still.

With CoP, it's Mind Blast, Mind Spike x3 (usually is when Mind Blast comes off cd), Devouring Plague when possible, Mind Flay until Plague falls off then repeat. While you lose dps for dots on your main target, you can still dot other mobs and keep your bonus and if you switch targets and there's still dots, mind spike then run the rotation.

The times to use cds like Shadowfiend/Mindbender and the lvl 90 talents still apply but this is the basic rotation for Non-CoP and CoP respectively. As I said these are the basic rotations but I'm positive a much better shadow priest can come in and fix whatever it is I screwed up here.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...est-Discussion

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arity-of-Power

^ Optimal dps rotation, and sub 25% ish stop applying dots at all because you want that SW Smiley buff to shoot your dps up in execute range.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    When you use SoD on twin ogrons you sometimes still have time to put VT on the offtarget. So still dots > regular mindspiking. Just make sure you don't use your sod procs and swd on the target with dot(s).

You can use SoD procs on the off target because it won't take off the dots (if it's a proc), but def keep your dots on the offtarget including DP so that you can continue the MS spam on the main target without taking any dots off. I use clique to mouseover cast my dots and use the boss frames so I don't have to keep switching my main target to dot and MS.

Quote Originally Posted by clutchbot View Post
    You can use SoD procs on the off target because it won't take off the dots (if it's a proc), but def keep your dots on the offtarget including DP so that you can continue the MS spam on the main target without taking any dots off. I use clique to mouseover cast my dots and use the boss frames so I don't have to keep switching my main target to dot and MS.
    The reason you don't use SoD procs on the target with dots is COP. You lose the COP damage of mind spike, regardless of it clearing the dots or not, if u use it on a target with dots.

IIRC the CoP rotation is:

1. Mind Spike + Blast on CD
    2. When you get your 4th orb from Mind Blast, do: Mind Spike -> SWP -> VT -> MB
    3. Hit Devouring Plague, Insanity -> MB (clip the insanity to cast MB) and then cast DP again
    4. Insanity -> MB, then go back to #1

I'm fairly certain that's the gist of how it goes. You might clip your DoTs with Mind Spike at the end of step #4, but it's not a big deal, as far as I know.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

dont dotweave under %20

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

3. Hit Devouring Plague, Insanity -> MB (clip the insanity to cast MB) and then cast DP again

I'm fairly certain that's the gist of how it goes. You might clip your DoTs with Mind Spike at the end of step #4, but it's not a big deal, as far as I know.
    it depends on your haste if you cast SD:P ond 4 or 5 orbs i guess. I cast it on 5 orbs and the dots perfectly run out (0,1 sec) before my MS hits.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

your rotation is wrong, you never want to cast DP right after a MB or you'll lose insanity ticks.

there are different rotation depending on when do you want to start your dotweave (4 or 5 orbs), what you need to learn is:
    1. You always want to have a spell casting, you don't want to stay without doing anything.
    2. You never want to have to cancel DoTs with Mind Spike.
    3. You never want to waste orbs by generating one if you are on 5.
    4. You always want to double SW: D a sub 20% hp target (possibly without dots) to reset the CD asap.
    5. You always want to have MB on CD.

Also get the addon HaloPro to know when you are at the right range for get the max from Halo.

During Execute if you have insanity you'll want to do something like this for priority:
    1. Devouring Plauge at 5 orbs
    2. SW: D x 2
    3. MB
    4. Devouring Plauge
    5. Insanity

If you are not in execute range the 2 main dotweave rotation are like this:
    1. MB(4) (Meaning you reach 4 orbs with this mind blast
    2. MS
    3. MS
    4. SW:P
    5. MB(5)
    6. VT
    7. DP
    8. Ins[1] (Meaning you get off only 1 gcd of it or 2 ticks of damage)
    9. MB(3)
    10. Ins[2] (a full Insanity cast)
    11. DP
    12. MB(1)
    13. Ins[1]
    14. Ins[2] (after the MB you cast Insanity and then spam it so you cast it again after 1 gcd reaching 6 ticks of it)
    15. MB(2)

1. MB(5)
    2. SWP
    3. VT
    4. DP
    5. MB(3)
    6. Ins[1]
    7. Ins[2]
    8. MB(4)
    9. Filler (meaning any kind of damage you can use in 1 gcd that's not a Mind Spike, so it is something like SF>Halo>PW:S(with reflective shield and knowing you will get enough damage from the target to reflect a good amount)>SW: D(glyphed)>Mind Flay[1])
    10. DP
    11. Ins[1]
    12. MB(2)
    13. Ins[2]

during BL or at really high haste you may find that you would remove the last ticks of your dots with your MS, try to avoid it by casting other damage spells, same priority as the Filler.