Idea for adding content, using existing technologies.

I have been thinking about a system to add some content for the casual players, that wouldn't require any new art. (art being the development bottleneck)

By combining the boss scaling technologies from Flex raiding, the item level scaling of heirlooms, and the appearance changing technology of transmog, Blizz could *theoretically* easily revamp every dungeon in the game up to current level.

This would do a number of things including adding an ever increasing list of dungeons while leveling (Ding 68! Time to run Utgarde Keep until The Nexus is available =D).

Also, by using the scaling technology from heirlooms, you could present item drops that are always relevant to your level. This offers a strict sense of increasing power between levels, even at max level.

By incorporating the transmog technology you could change the appearance of items based on a level range. using existing models, Blizz could create item sets that represent an escalation in power as you level and get new gear.

This plays a role at max level by again utilizing the boss scaling technology. By banding mechanics to different level ranges and difficulties, every few levels, and again at max level during heroics, the dungeons would feel and play differently.

This system more aligns with the Battlegrounds that are already featured in PvP, where as new expansions come out, the older battlegrounds still retain some value, and there is an ever growing list of them available. (albeit a little list).

Anyway, just some thoughts I had. Any feedback is welcome. thank you!

I think implementing Flex tech into all the old dungeons/raids would actually take a lot of work.

imho - they should just up the health and damage of all the dungeons and raids to make them work at max level. Boom! Tons of stuff for max level folks to run.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting idea, but I feel it would only really work for a little bit...and then turn into "Well, I need gear/experiance, so just gonna run the highest exp/hr dungeon over and over and ignore the rest!" really quick :<

I know Blizzard has said they're looking into ways to use the item scaling to enable running old content, but it sounded like they're still not sure of the best way to do it effectively. Molten Core was probably a good example of how they could force the content to work, but without manually tweaking it some fights were overly difficult, while others were just the opposite.

Provide more rewards for Heroic Dungeons to replace the loss of valour. Offer Apexis, follower tokens and maybe even offer the chance of getting follower contracts.

The problem is that older dungeons are just kind of shit compared to new ones.
    They're very slowly updating them, but nobody would really want a scaled up dire maul to be in the random dungeons list. Or Uldaman. Or Hellfire Ramparts, for that matter.

7+ Year Old Account
    This already exists in game files, it's called Timewalker, and just hasn't been enabled yet. It's basically completely ready (in fact, Proving Grounds and the Molten Core LFR both used the technology). I think the hold up is that they don't know what kind of rewards to give.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard! Hire this guy! Great post, just drool of the idea to re-run Nostalgic areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    This already exists in game files, it's called Timewalker, and just hasn't been enabled yet. It's basically completely ready (in fact, Proving Grounds and the Molten Core LFR both used the technology). I think the hold up is that they don't know what kind of rewards to give.
    **Furiously typed the said technology into Google!** "drools"

This is extremely interesting, thanks for sharing. Time to research all about it!

Edit: DROOOL
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15700617137
    Last edited by Mister K; 2015-01-26 at 11:29 PM.
    -K