Tanking WoD dungeons while leveling

Hi guys,

I seem to be taking a crapton of damage as a guardian druid, in leveling gear, while I'm in dungeons, especially in the iron docks. I try to maximise uptime on savage defense, and use excess rage for maul procs and heal, mixing in bearskin. However, my HP spikes so much, even when I do all of that. Is it a gear problem, as in I don't have a lot of bonus armour since it's levelling gear ? What should I do to not take that much damage ? Or is it normal ?

Thanks !

I hate to say it bud, but it's unlikely to be you. Bears in general during leveling are spiky as hell even to the point that many rerolled from them at level 100 because of how spiky they were in dungeons. Once you get some gear they level out a bit more, however, I would personally recommend that you avoid dungeons until you hit level 100.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would personally recommend you rerolling another tank class if that's what you want to do. Brewmaster, Prot warrior or Prot Pally seems to be the way to go, these days.
    Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Yeah I'm just staying away from dungeons for now, almost 100 anyways. Thanks for your feedback

Deleted
    Bear is just weak overall in low gear, however they scale tremendously well and tbh they are actually really good for large packs of mobs in comparison to other tanks.

Question for OP: Are you running with the same healer on all these dungeons? I did dungeons as a bear my entire way up to 100 (been maining drood tank since BC) without much problem. I found that if your healer relies on direct heals (paladin, shammy, priest who forgets they have renew) they will struggle to handle the spikes, whereas our fellow druids and renew-happy priests do just fine and have no complaints about any perceived spikiness.

I do agree though, things get a lot better once you start getting into 640s, 650s, and especially 660+ ilvl. It's looking like we'll be blessed with scaling game once again!

Things were pretty dismal though when I would compare myself to my warrior co-tank when we first stepped into highmaul - now that we're both 660+ though, all our healers prefer to heal my fat bear ass

Bolgrom
    Last edited by Bolgrom; 2015-02-03 at 03:14 PM.