Poll: Are Garrisons killing Alts?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Garrisons killed everything..professions. socializing, exploration.. basically anything that made WoW feel like an MMO
    Socializing got killed off in WotLK when they introduced the LFD system.

Well you create an alt to experience the game one more time with your alt. If they add everything for alt, it would be like whats the point of playing it when I can't work for its progression.

Deleted
    Well from my own personal experience, I've definitely been put off leveling as many alts as I usually would, the questing experience is excellent the first couple of times, but I think the garrison coupled with the Linear progression path is what's putting me off the most, at least in Northrend we had 2 starting areas and could shake up which zones we went to.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, Garrisons have a lot of concrete, solid ideas. I enjoy that. Though I will say that it has really killed a lot of the socialization aspect to this game. Though a lot of that has been gone since LFR and LFD were introduced. I loved LFD at the time it came to fruition, but now I realized all it killed In the game. In regards to alts, I really don't think so, though IDK nor don't care. I have a few, but I'd rather be so many things to do on my main (Important rep grinds, attunements, farming, quests, and other things) on my main before I worry about touching my alt.

But that is my personal opinion on the subject even though I went on a bit of a tangent a tad.

I like garrisons, think they are a good addition to the game. I do agree that blizzard made some blatent mistakes with them as well (gating the profession crafting with work orders for one; making the herb garden and mine available for everyone is another), and I still kinda hope they come back on that. They can easily remove both my mentioned things and it wouldnt have a huge impact on the game.

On topic though:

I think they are too big of an impact on alts. But that impact might also largely be self inflicted.

"I feel like if I ignore the garrison I fall behind", is something that is stated multiple times in this thread. But does it really ?
    Would you really fall that far behind on an alt if you ignored or did the minimal possible in a garrison. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't, or at the very least not more than you did in previous expansions. Because don't come with the nonsense argument that those kind of grinds were never present. Every expansion had some kind of "mandatory grind" for alts to keep up (be it badges or reputation or whatnot).

I think some people should stop viewing garrisons as some kind of mandatory grind, and instead judge it more like a daily quest hub.
    The problem is, the garrison is too much "in your face", and you get so much for just 15 minutes of "garrison maintenance" that it feels mandatory, even though it really isn't.
    So mandatory even that people do it on alts they really don't want to be competitive with, but just have for some fun. First thing you do though, is spawn in your garrison and immediately feel obliged to do your chores.

I personally hope they improve on this without killing the garrison. Because in concept I think it's pretty awesome; I love the missions, the followers and the fact you chose your buildings. It's a pretty well implemented version of player housing. Problem is there are just too many thing screaming at you to do your chores.

Deleted
    I wonder if it would be better if work orders and missions could be sent out from anywhere in the world via the garrison button. Obviously you'd have to return to your garrison to pick up stuff and use profession buildings.