Am I Doing Something Wrong? (90-100)

Currently level 96 with 630 crafted staff. Playing balance. Im doing 8k single target Dps in dungeons. But there was a elemental shaman with 560ilvl staff. He was doing 7.5k-8k dps. Is it normal? Or im just bad at this spec? ={

ele shammy have "win button" in dung (at bosses) called Ascendance + ele is good at low lvl but mages are op for example arcane mage at 98lvl on bosses can do 20k to 30k (with only heirloom weapon +green/blue eq)

edit: and this ele shammy was bad :P

I can't really say if you're doing something wrong as I only play boomkin, which I do quite poorly, when I don't want to tank an LFR but I will say that in the leveling instances and instances with geared people the classes that have the highest uptime on cooldowns will always look better even overcoming huge gear differentials if the CDs for the other person aren't up.

As an example popping ascendance and having it up for 90% or more of the boss fight will make you look amazing. cut that to 50% uptime and you fall off, get it down to 10-30% range like on a raid boss and all of a sudden your class has fallen behind.

Don't try to compare yourself to bursty classes, focus on comparing yourself to other boomkins if you can.