Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Not sure if this thread is trolling or not. BM offers you superior play in every single situation. People can argue that SV/MM are viable (and they are), but you are gimping your raid by not playing BM right now. It has T3 Single Target DPS, incredibly versatility in the form of on demand burst as well as sustained single target, an execute, strong Cleave, Strong AoE, Strong Personal survivability abilities.

It has one of the best if not THE best raiding toolkit of any class right now.

As for the RNG arguement - without 4 pc, BM is still within 100 DPS of the other specs - and still offers the same superior tool kit. With a 4 set and the worst possible RNG, you are still getting the extra pet 100% of the that BW is up and that alone pushes it ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Amen, and FotM always is silly. It inevitably is over-hyped, or requires a gimmick, or gets nerfed (in the case of unintended FotM).

Such as? Please don't say "Is your pet attacking? Is it on the right target?" That's Hunter 101.

There's no call to be condescending. Fun fact, Method's hunters don't use BM, supposedly because they don't like the "godlike this pull, shit the next" RNG.
    So what's worse - A player that plays FOTM spec well and is always optimal for their raid? OR a player that is too stubborn to play a superior spec?

Also, where do you get your information on the thought process of Rogerbrown? Maybe it's true that they prefer survival, but being in the best guild in the world != being the best hunter in the world. Good players playing bad specs, will always trump bad players playing good specs. Good players playing good specs will trump both.
    Last edited by Hogarr; 2015-03-06 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogarr View Post
    Not sure if this thread is trolling or not. BM offers you superior play in every single situation. People can argue that SV/MM are viable (and they are), but you are gimping your raid by not playing BM right now. It has T3 Single Target DPS, incredibly versatility in the form of on demand burst as well as sustained single target, an execute, strong Cleave, Strong AoE, Strong Personal survivability abilities.

As for the RNG arguement - without 4 pc, BM is still within 100 DPS of the other specs - and still offers the same superior tool kit. With a 4 set and the worst possible RNG, you are still getting the extra pet 100% of the that BW is up and that alone pushes it ahead.

So what's worse - A player that plays FOTM spec well and is always optimal for their raid? OR a player that is too stubborn to play a superior spec?

Also, where do you get your information on the thought process of Rogerbrown? Maybe it's true that they prefer survival, but being in the best guild in the world != being the best hunter in the world. Good players playing bad specs, will always trump bad players playing good specs. Good players playing good specs will trump both.
    SV is a good spec, though. I'm assuming what you mean to say is "good players playing the best specs will trump both". Of course, we're basing "the best" off sims which aren't as relative to overall importance when it comes to guilds that I'm sure break down fights far more than the average Heroic raiding guilds.

Only two guilds in the entire world have completed 10/10M. These hunters are clearly doing something way better than 99.9% of hunters could ever do.

Not sure if this thread is trolling or not.
    No, this thread boils down to... prepare yourself for heresy... some people do not enjoy BM! My God, how dare they say such things?! Call in the Beast Cleave Inquisition!

BM offers you superior play in every single situation.
    Demonstrably and objectively wrong.

People can argue that SV/MM are viable (and they are), but you are gimping your raid by not playing BM right now.
    No, you're not. There are more than enough real world examples in this forum about SV being better for AoE (i.e., the tanks can't neatly stack everything for your convenience) and MM being better for priority target burning. Further, and this is what doesn't seem to be soaking into BM Defense Force skulls: BM is only best with 4 piece, by a small margin that can be negated by bad RNG luck with 2 piece or Focus Fire.

*snip*The same tiresome chest-thumping "here's a list that NOBODY has posted before listing all that BM can do!"
    Sometimes I wonder if the BM Defense Force is composed of used car salesmen.

Until you hit a fight where it falls flat on its face. Oregorger says hi.

I choose Option C, a zealot who thinks that meters = optimal for raid.

Also, where do you get your information on the thought process of Rogerbrown?
    Looking at the armory, knowing the fights, knowing my class, and using my head. Try it, it's better for you and your raid than blind FotM and propagandizing.

Maybe it's true that they prefer survival, but being in the best guild in the world != being the best hunter in the world.
    Please, explain to us then why you're not in Method. After all, since you're effectively claiming to be better than their members, shouldn't they be recruiting you?

Good players playing bad specs, will always trump bad players playing good specs.
    Please prove that MM and SV are bad, preferably with something better than "herp derp, they sim slightly less.

Good players playing good specs will trump both.
    So why aren't you in Method or the like? Could it be they realize that padding the meter and personal glory don't mean jack for progression?
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2015-03-06 at 07:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

All this talk about padding meters. It's not like you don't have the option to single target as BM.

I suggest you point that out to all the BMs who chest thump over Beast Cleave and BRF add fights, then.
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Guys now I'm confused!? Is BM the best hunter spec right now? I'd love to go back(as it is my favourite spec) but ATM I'm doing really well as MM. Any help explaining the situation would be great!

Such as? Please don't say "Is your pet attacking? Is it on the right target?" That's Hunter 101.
    I would say that BM has a few more things to look out of.

Aside from the more obvious buffs (Steady Focus / Beast Cleave / Focus Fire) that you have to watch out for and keep up; there are also a few more finesse things that you want to keep an eye on.
    Focus management for example is much more important with BM (IMO). Getting the focus just right so that you enter BW with enough focus to prevent having to use Cobra; not running dry by a misplaced arcane shot.

I always found SV very forgiving when it comes to buff management and focus management. The only thing that costs a lot of focus as SV is black arrow, which is only once every 24 seconds; it found it very very hard to actually not have enough focus for an Explosive Shot. Focusing Shot also generally gives you plenty of focus to work with and the pace of the SV rotation with it's simple mechanics seems more predictable.
    Other than trinket procs (which BM also does to some extend), there are little procs or buff you really have to adjust around. LnL is simple as it's highest prio and requires no setup as the shots are free, Serpent Sting is simply always on if you play with Focusing Shot.

That said however. BM is not hard, most of the "complains" (it's more of a tiny nag) about it come from people who simply have to readjust.

No, you're not. There are more than enough real world examples in this forum about SV being better for AoE (i.e., the tanks can't neatly stack everything for your convenience) and MM being better for priority target burning. Further, and this is what doesn't seem to be soaking into BM Defense Force skulls: BM is only best with 4 piece, by a small margin that can be negated by bad RNG luck with 2 piece or Focus Fire.
    That a risky thing to state, if not straight up false. BM is already better by a small margin for me and i dont have any set bonuses (anecdotal, but reported by several other frequent hunter players).
    And the BM RNG is highly overestimated. Yes BM is not as predictable and smooth as SV, but it is SV that is the exception to the general rule and not the other way around. Most classes have some form of RNG to their spec. SV is rather exceptional in that it has an extremely predictable and consistent playstyle and damage output.
    The only real annoying BM RNG is frenzy stacks, but it actually failing to the point where it's not maintained is quite rare. (It just sticks because when it happens its highly aggravating)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    All this talk about padding meters. It's not like you don't have the option to single target as BM.
    That's not really the point that was made. You got it the wrong way around.

The discussion is not that BM doesn't have the ST capability besides being able to pad dps on adds.
    The discussion was around the fact that MM is often sidelined because it doesn't have the pad option; which totally disregards it being a super effective spec for critical points in most BRF encounters (that being high burst damage on priority targets).
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2015-03-06 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Some illogical syntax

Well, all right. Overlooking MM on the "they'll die anyway" kind of add fights simply because of the lack of aoe (which translates into lower total numbers) is a mistake I agree. I just got the feeling of "BM is only padding anyway" being said, which I disagree with. I guess I misunderstood.

Nythiz, before I begin, thank you for a much more reasonable tone than the usual "someone doesn't like BM! They're bad and I've been personally insulted!" routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    I would say that BM has a few more things to look out of. Aside from the more obvious buffs (Steady Focus / Beast Cleave / Focus Fire) that you have to watch out for and keep up; there are also a few more finesse things that you want to keep an eye on.
    Focus management for example is much more important with BM (IMO). Getting the focus just right so that you enter BW with enough focus to prevent having to use Cobra; not running dry by a misplaced arcane shot.
    Steady Focus is not exclusive to BM, Beast Cleave is "press Multi", and Focus Fire is far less complicated these days to the point it's almost "press it when it's up". Focus management is also not BM only, you don't want to go into Rapid Fire dry or miss a Chimera, and for SV, Focusing Shot may make it smooth, but it's also all but required to pay for everything. Really, assuming your UI is set up decently, all of what you mentioned is easy to see.

BM is not hard
    Careful, the Inquisition frowns on this quite heavily.

That a risky thing to state, if not straight up false.
    Better tell Azor to edit then, unless of course he's already done so in his famous "that was never there" manner.

And the BM RNG is highly overestimated. Yes BM is not as predictable and smooth as SV
    Actually, like the OP, I find it tedious at best, especially after MoP forced it on us for the whole time. It also feels the least like I'm actually doing anything, and more I'm cheering the pet on.

Yes, yes, Kill Command, etc. BM Stampede sims ridiculously beyond any other ability, and combined with melee and Basic Attacks, most BM damage is from the pet. You're simply there to boost it. Some people don't enjoy the spec for that, nor does it help that those that do are very obnoxious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    Well, all right. Overlooking MM on the "they'll die anyway" kind of add fights simply because of the lack of aoe (which translates into lower total numbers) is a mistake I agree. I just got the feeling of "BM is only padding anyway" being said, which I disagree with. I guess I misunderstood.
    That's absolutely not what I was saying, and perhaps could have expressed it more clearly. It's simply that MM and SV aren't suddenly useless, and that your role is more than simply putting up the biggest numbers possible, which has been used multiple times as an argument for BM.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2015-03-06 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    What i hate froom BM is this 2set RNG
    Sometimes i can get 2-3 even 4 BW in a row other times i can get nothing few mins in the fight.Sometimes i stack up focus fire prety fast other times takes ages

Quote Originally Posted by Rassman View Post
    Guys now I'm confused!? Is BM the best hunter spec right now? I'd love to go back(as it is my favourite spec) but ATM I'm doing really well as MM. Any help explaining the situation would be great!
    All three specs are completely viable, and competitive, is a raid environment today. Enjoy playing whatever spec you enjoy playing.

(Pro tip: in future, remember that if you have to ask this question you are highly unlikely to be raiding at a level where the answer makes a significant difference, since improving personal skill and understanding of the spec is likely to have a higher effect on performance than the FoTM spec does.)

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    All three specs are completely viable, and competitive, is a raid environment today. Enjoy playing whatever spec you enjoy playing.

(Pro tip: in future, remember that if you have to ask this question you are highly unlikely to be raiding at a level where the answer makes a significant difference, since improving personal skill and understanding of the spec is likely to have a higher effect on performance than the FoTM spec does.)
    Well I've played my Hunter for 10 years now. And I don't think my guild really cares to much we're halfway through heroic BRF now and no ones complained.

Nythiz, before I begin, thank you for a much more reasonable tone than the usual "someone doesn't like BM! They're bad and I've been personally insulted!" routine.
    Cheers, you too. I'm getting a bit tired of all the useless flaming going about. We're all here to help each other get better or learn something new. This sounds very lame, but in the end I'm here to expand my knowledge on hunters.

Steady Focus is not exclusive to BM, Beast Cleave is "press Multi", and Focus Fire is far less complicated these days to the point it's almost "press it when it's up". Focus management is also not BM only, you don't want to go into Rapid Fire dry or miss a Chimera, and for SV, Focusing Shot may make it smooth, but it's also all but required to pay for everything. Really, assuming your UI is set up decently, all of what you mentioned is easy to see.
    Agreed. Though BM is the only one really using steady shot. SV used it for a while, but combined with FS, which makes it a brainless addition.

Beast Cleave is indeed "press multi" but fitting in your barrages and KC is always extremely tricky (if not cluncky). I always feel like this is a place where I can gain a lot of ground. At times (see NOTE) I feel like I either have to sit on Barrage or let BC drop off for a while. Let alone use KC
    I have not found a real answer for this.
    NOTE: I'm mostly talking about situations where:
    a) You don't start with 120 focus (as that allows you to MS > Barrage > MS)
    b) You don't have FF (as that gives you enough haste to prevent the rotation from going "focus negative"
    c) You don't have / can't use BW to elevate the high focus requirement.

And I agree that MM shares a lot of the same issues.

Better tell Azor to edit then, unless of course he's already done so in his famous "that was never there" manner.
    Dunno. I'm just saying this is the case for me and several others.
    I'm not saying I disagree with your initial statement. Because I disagree with the guy saying that "not playing BM means you are gimping your raid". I completely disagree with that. (For reasons I already stated). I just think that saying that BM requires the tier set to outperform the other two specs is questionable.

From what I understood as well(from both Azor as other theorycrafters). BM, with 4p tier, is ahead by a small margin IF you have bad RNG. If you have average or good RNG it's ahead by a lot.
    But if thats wrong, I stand corrected.

Actually, like the OP, I find it tedious at best, especially after MoP forced it on us for the whole time. It also feels the least like I'm actually doing anything, and more I'm cheering the pet on.

Yes, yes, Kill Command, etc. BM Stampede sims ridiculously beyond any other ability, and combined with melee and Basic Attacks, most BM damage is from the pet. You're simply there to boost it. Some people don't enjoy the spec for that, nor does it help that those that do are very obnoxious about it.
    Maybe. I personally don't feel that way really. I feel like a Beast Master spec should have at least 50% of it's damage coming from the pet or the spec is simply not setting itself apart enough.
    Back in MoP what I hated most about MM/SV was the fact they were practically identical other than that their abilities had different names and icons. BM has always been the "unique" spec in that regard.

That said. I do think the BM RNG could use some help. I think Frenzy is a rather badly designed mechanic to start with (40% chance on a bite/claw/smack attack); those kind of mechanics are fine if it just stuck to Frenzy. But having Focus Fire (especially now that FF is HUGE for BM) work off it, just makes it feel rather clunky.
    However not having the RNG would just mean "pop FF on cooldown" which would make it a dull button.

Maybe they need to build in some kind of fail-safe.
    E.g. Frenzy has a 30% chance per basic attack, but if it didn't proc it adds 30% on the next attack (doesn't stack, so max 60%).

What this does is reduce the fail chance.
    Currently you have about a 21.6% chance ((1-0.4)^3) of not getting a single frenzy stack after 3 basic hits.
    Above change would change that to 11.2% chance (0.7 * 0.4 * 0.4). Alternatively lowering the added percentage from 30% to 20% (so you get to 50% max chance) would make that 17.5%.

Currently you have a 1.00% chance that Frenzy will not refresh itself within the 30 second window (9 attacks, as the interval between basic attacks is closer to 3.33 seconds).
    With the above change that would be 0.05%. Even lowering the added percentage from 30% to 20% (so you get to 50% max chance) would only make that 0.27% which is still much lower.

This guts the positive RNG (it'll be about 5x as rare to get 5 frenzy stacks on the first 5 attacks); but makes frenzy a lot more predictable.
    Obviously numbers need to be balanced. And you shouldn't be getting in the situation where you can chain Focus Fire into Focus Fire; but you get the idea. Alternatively they could take another approach (another suggestion would be tagging a +% on KC for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    What i hate froom BM is this 2set RNG
    Sometimes i can get 2-3 even 4 BW in a row other times i can get nothing few mins in the fight.Sometimes i stack up focus fire prety fast other times takes ages
    Don't have the 2 set yet, so I can't say I know what you're talking about.
    But I get the idea that it's extremely RNG to the point it gets frustrating.
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2015-03-07 at 12:11 AM.

No, this thread boils down to... prepare yourself for heresy... some people do not enjoy BM! My God, how dare they say such things?! Call in the Beast Cleave Inquisition!

Demonstrably and objectively wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if the BM Defense Force is composed of used car salesmen.

Until you hit a fight where it falls flat on its face. Oregorger says hi.

I choose Option C, a zealot who thinks that meters = optimal for raid.

Looking at the armory, knowing the fights, knowing my class, and using my head. Try it, it's better for you and your raid than blind FotM and propagandizing.

Please, explain to us then why you're not in Method. After all, since you're effectively claiming to be better than their members, shouldn't they be recruiting you?

Please prove that MM and SV are bad, preferably with something better than "herp derp, they sim slightly less.

So why aren't you in Method or the like? Could it be they realize that padding the meter and personal glory don't mean jack for progression?
    Lol you know nothing about me and your assumptions are completely off. Survival AoE comes with the high cost of doing absolutely abysmal single target damage. Any decent hunter can maintain middle of the pack single target while also pulling respectable cleave dmg and heavy AoE when needed.

If BM is so bad on oregorger why are their BM hunters in the top 10 on Mythic for all classes. I imagine you're one of the failbots that chases the boss around instead of killing boxes.

Trust me, I'm well aware that there are plenty of morons running around doing BC spam topping meters that think they are king. I'm not one of those people. I wasn't referring to meters as the optimal for raid part. I was more thinking along the lines of consistent dependable burst damage, with an execute, with additional survivability, etc etc.

I spend a good portion of my time critically thinking about what's best for the raid. Being a raid leader and GM of a guild means setting an example. There is not a single fight in this instance that heavily favors MM/SV over BM - not just from a DPS standpoint, but from a utility/toolkit standpoint.

I never said SV or MM were bad - I just said they weren't as good as BM, which is true.

As for me being in Method. The first issue is that I'm an American =).

That being said, I'm fairly confident I could hold my own in ANY Guild. I've got the raid credentials and the skill to back it up. I raid led Gag Reflex to US Top 10 Finishes in every tier in Cataclysm, and a US 1st finish in T14, as well as a few World Firsts along the way - so please, in the future, do me the courtesy of showing a little respect and not just assuming I'm some epeen lord looking to destroy meters. I understand fully the difference between effective and meaningless damage.

If you find BM tedious and annoying...
    Than I'd probably says don't play most of the classes in the game except maybe Rogue or Warrior.

BM's micromanagement and tracking what you need to do to maximize what you do in that spec is pretty low compared to the majority of specs.

Or, if you want to hinder yourself, find or create a mod that will do all of the "work" for you.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Im sorry, i can`t hear you over the sound of how awesome my Loque'nahak is

Well I've played my Hunter for 10 years now. And I don't think my guild really cares to much we're halfway through heroic BRF now and no ones complained.
    Sorry if that sounded like "you suck" -- it wasn't meant to, but I'm terrible at saying things then having to extract not just my foot, but my knee, from my mouth.

I totally don't play at that level either, BTW. I was BM before 6.1 <hipster glasses> because I like it much better, and that makes the difference. I put in the effort to excel, where I might gain some paper DPS from SV, but my hate for the spec leads to me not caring so much, and being less effective overall.

If you are clearing the content and not suffering wipes to the berserk timer or healers all being OOM, you are likely doing just fine. Which is where, like, 99 percent of people are.

FF and 2set RNG is balls.. but I don't mind BM really.

Lol you know nothing about me and your assumptions are completely off.
    I know what you said and how you came off.

Survival AoE comes with the high cost of doing absolutely abysmal single target damage.
    Please post proof, because no respected numbers would agree with this.

If BM is so bad on oregorger why are their BM hunters in the top 10 on Mythic for all classes.
    And you wonder where I get the idea you only care about the meter.

I imagine you're one of the failbots that chases the boss around instead of killing boxes.
    Now who's making assumptions? I'm killing boxes as MM.

Trust me, I'm well aware that there are plenty of morons running around doing BC spam topping meters that think they are king. I'm not one of those people.
    Then don't talk like them.

I wasn't referring to meters as the optimal for raid part. I was more thinking along the lines of consistent dependable burst damage, with an execute, with additional survivability, etc etc.
    Yes, we all know the list of Glorious BM Virtues. Your frequent burst comes at the cost of low damage outside of it. Consider that BM *is* Stampede right now, as shown by DPET. Now it may be due to needing sleep, but I'm honestly entertaining the list a moment: Do tell, what additional survivability? Spirit Bond? Roar of Sacrifice?

I spend a good portion of my time critically thinking about what's best for the raid. Being a raid leader and GM of a guild means setting an example. There is not a single fight in this instance that heavily favors MM/SV over BM - not just from a DPS standpoint, but from a utility/toolkit standpoint.
    Then you haven't been regularly reading the 400+ page thread.

I never said SV or MM were bad - I just said they weren't as good as BM, which is true.
    Except that the only metric that supports that is in simmed DPS. I thought you said this wasn't about the meters?

As for me being in Method. The first issue is that I'm an American =).
    Fine, make it Midwinter or Blood Legion then. You're effectively claiming to be as good or better than their members, even subtly implying they're bad. So, why haven't you been recruited yet?

That being said, I'm fairly confident I could hold my own in ANY Guild. I've got the raid credentials and the skill to back it up. I raid led Gag Reflex to US Top 10 Finishes in every tier in Cataclysm
    Do you mean this Gag Reflex? Let's see, 159 US, 693 world H Nef. 271 US, 1223 world H Chogall, and 209 US, 871 world Sinestra. Hmm, maybe you mean 10 man?
    No, those scores match.

Ok, maybe T12? Well no, US 41, world 236 H Rags. 10 man? Ah, US 15, world 146. Better than T11, but still not top 10 and anyone with a shred of honesty will admit H Rags 10 was easier from room size.

T13? Nope, US 32, world 157 H Madness. 10 man? Finally! US 10, world 88. So much for top 10 in all tiers though.

and a US 1st finish in T14, as well as a few World Firsts along the way
    Since we know to look at 10 man now...
    US 1, world 21 H Fear. Well done. I'm not seeing any world firsts for T14 though.

Maybe you mean T15? A few top 10 USes, not on Lei Shen or most bosses though, far from it. Still not seeing world firsts.

T16? US 101, world 408 Garrosh. No sign of any top 10s, let alone world firsts.

So at best, you exaggerate or perhaps misremember.

so please, in the future, do me the courtesy of showing a little respect
    Well, Your Grace, even if your claims were fully supported and you proved you're who you say you are, that doesn't buy you anything. You put out a list of "BM can do this" with zero support and focused on DPS.

and not just assuming I'm some epeen lord looking to destroy meters.
    Gosh, where COULD I have gotten that idea? Surely not from what you wrote...

I understand fully the difference between effective and meaningless damage.
    Glad to hear it, yet your post clearly equates top damage (i.e. ranks) with being good.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2015-03-07 at 05:04 AM.

The best spec, is the spec you play the best.

For a bunch of people who love to throw sim results at each other and crunch numbers... everyone seems to overlook a little actual science.. It's simply Theoretical vs Actual Yields. The sim is your theoretical yield (ie; your expected result if you do everything right 100% of the time), your dps is more likely to be your actual yield (ie; your limitations effect your results *shocker*)... Your limitations, ignoring all other issues between specs (one is better for this or that) will have the most impact on spec differences. Playing the spec you enjoy the most, knowing the little nuances of that spec will be the true separator for the average player.

Too many people on here come in with this elitist attitude.. "No spec is hard bro, l2p".. "You can learn the spec in 3 minutes man"... They may be right, you can learn most rotations/specs in a little amount of time, but that's not the point. The point is enjoying what you're doing and what you're playing. It's funny how it easily translates to outside of the game too. You'll do better (and be happier) doing a job/profession you enjoy than you will at one you're only doing for a paycheck.