Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Rerolling VS feeling of investment

My current Blood DK has progressed quite a bit in WoD, as you'll see here

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uvano/advanced

Btw acheev points are low because I don't pay attention to it. Unless it unlocks something of value I don't care. Moving on...

The Paladin seems to fit my personality the most (slayer of evil things, defender of good guys) so I'm thinking of re-rolling one from Level 1 (I have heirlooms). However given the progress the DK has made, I'm hesitant to give it up for a completely new character. The DK has a ton of followers who are L100 and Epic, I have over 200 Elemental Runes, and a fully functioning L3 Garrison.

Just wondering if anyone else has felt invested with one character before? Surely I should play something that feels "like me" right, rather than what is cool at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post

<snip>
    Surely I should play something that feels "like me" right, rather than what is cool at the time.
    What I suggest you is to try it out. Feeling and thinking you like a class may be one thing but actually playing it will tell you how it really is.

You can still keep playing your Blood DK (probably less, though), maybe a few missions here and there to at least keep some sort of progress without much time investment. In the end the indecision will not help you. Also the last part you wrote seems strange. Maybe what feels "like you" also changes with time and you thought that DK was the class most "like you" at the time you created it.

Try it out and see if you like it or not, not much is lost if you just level the paladin. The DK can have his time-off.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can't tell you what class to play (and if the thread becomes that it will be closed) but since you asked a different question I'll answer it by saying that you should play what you like. I've played my shadow priest since Burning Crusade when she was both strong and weak. I've invested in her for a certainty. I think most players with longtime mains will agree. I'm curious to know how people with 10 or 11 'mains' answer this.

Keep your DK. You can always return to it if you like. Perspectives change over time. Starting over from level 1 will help you to get inside your character's head if you're the sort that does that. Your idea of the character will change as the character grows. I'd advise you not to rush too much but that's very subjective.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2015-03-03 at 12:46 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    For a time my Hunter was my main. I switched to a tank in WoD because I was sick of queue times, but then I found it fun because I rarely died.

I thought maybe the DK was "weaker" due to not having a shield, but it doesn't seem to bother skilled Guardian Druids or BM Monks. Mionel (?) didn't seem to be concerned about that when he was soloing previously-unsoloable raids.

I did have another Prot Pally back in MoP, and he obtained the Niuzao cloak as well. So I'm experienced with both of those tanks. Just stating a fact, I'm not looking to know which is better, don't worry.

I'll go play them both.

The idea of rolling an alt with the intention of NEVER playing your main again is frankly ridiculous. Unless you find out you just absolutely love Paladins, you probably won't be playing it exclusively. As Kaharon said the only way to know if you'll like it or not is to try it, and I suggest giving it at least until level 70 to see if you really like it. I found Paladins quite boring to level, but I boosted one with WoD and it's a ton of fun now.

The other problem to face is the legendary quest, luckily leveling is pretty quick if you put the effort in so you shouldn't miss out on more than a couple weeks. It is still a huge hassle to go through the first 5 quests or so. Those damn Apexis crystals, especially now with farm groups not existing and daily raids being killed.

Garrisons are also really slow, gathering the 2k resources for level is a pain if you haven't had the alt at 91/92 stockpiling them for months. Leveling/upgrading Followers will take a good month or two.

All that being said gearing alts is quite fast, stick a War Mill in your Garrison and pray to RNGesus through Nagrand and you can be doing heroics straight away if you're lucky. Otherwise crafted gear is super cheap and Highmaul LFR only needs 615 ilvl.

In short; Try the alt, but don't completely neglect your DK just because you have an alt, switch between them as you get bored. I always enjoy having multiple characters I can play to get different perspectives. It also helps being familiar with mechanics of other classes.

Play both. Focus on the one you find more fun . Easy.

I don't see much investment here. This DK has really only raided this expansion. Three months is not a significant investment in WoW.

Play the Paladin.

Try out the paladin. I have found, though, that I always seem to end up going back to my original main. I played a hunter from the beginning, then just before Wrath came out I started playing my druid and got him geared up. Then I fully switched to my druid until the end of Wrath when I went back to my hunter. Then during firelands in Cata I switched to my paladin. Then I went back to my hunter in MoP and up until now. I have a dk, paladin, druid, and warrior at 100 and am currently leveling a monk (I like tanking on my alts, no queue times). But hunter was my first toon and I always end up coming back to him.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No way I could dump the Blood DK now. Picked up a useful trinket from Kromog and, more importantly, I have my first Elemental Tablet.

7+ Year Old Account
    I only have these feelings when I'm considering rolling an alt of a class I already have a developed character of. Why would I reroll a character of the same class, when my developed mains already have nice (or unobtainable) gear/titles instead of playing just that character?

If it's another class I might make my main, I just have fun leveling it in my off-time / non raiding time and gear it up appropriately in LFR/Alt runs. If the time has come where the character is decently geared and I still like it, I can swap mains and know for sure I'm not making a bad mistake.. I already went through all the trouble to get it where I want it to be and liked playing it

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post

Btw acheev points are low because I don't pay attention to it. Unless it unlocks something of value I don't care. Moving on...

The Paladin seems to fit my personality the most (slayer of evil things, defender of good guys) so I'm thinking of re-rolling one from Level 1 (I have heirlooms). However given the progress the DK has made, I'm hesitant to give it up for a completely new character. The DK has a ton of followers who are L100 and Epic, I have over 200 Elemental Runes, and a fully functioning L3 Garrison.

Just wondering if anyone else has felt invested with one character before? Surely I should play something that feels "like me" right, rather than what is cool at the time.
    Outside of tanking no. I will never not tank on my Paladin unless they take it away from us at some point. I usually switch between my Shaman, Lock, Priest, DK, Warrior, or Monk(now) for what secondary DPS role we may need when tanks get a break. I have no "loyalty" to any other character besides my Paladin. I don't worry about Achievements either, the only ones I have are the ones that come from normal play without doing anything specific, the clears and ahead of the curves, and some of the ones that tally up as you do things. I don't try to do dungeon achievements, nor does our raid go after raid achievements unless it is some thing we all want to do. I think I just passed 10k and my Paladin has been around since launch.