Thread: Help with Holy

Deleted

Help with Holy

Hello all,

First time poster here and I would appreciate some advice. I recently switched from maining disc to holy because we had two disc priests in our team for Highmaul and it turned out that BRF encounters are much more healing intensive. I'm quite happy about that and can say confidently that I grasp the holy spec to a fair degree, yet I am sure I could improve by a lot.

We went 6/10 heroic BRF yesterday and our resto druid who is a great healer indeed was ahead of me by about 15k hps on Kromog. That did not alarm me at all. What did alarm me later during the night was a quick LFR run where another holy priest with ilvl very close to mine was ahead of me by about 20k hps.

I attempted linking logs for our guild BRF run but obviously I cannot do that yet, they are available should anyone be willing to check them out.

I should note here that I haven't been using glyph of CoH and just switched that last night after the LFR run.

Additionally, I need to improve on my usage of Holy word: Sanctuary and binding heal/glyphed binding heal as I overheal a lot with. My overhealing on renew is also horrendous.

I realise that a lot of this has to do with the healing team composition but any input would be much appreciated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodkaoneice View Post
    Hello all,

First time poster here and I would appreciate some advice. I recently switched from maining disc to holy because we had two disc priests in our team for Highmaul and it turned out that BRF encounters are much more healing intensive. I'm quite happy about that and can say confidently that I grasp the holy spec to a fair degree, yet I am sure I could improve by a lot.

We went 6/10 heroic BRF yesterday and our resto druid who is a great healer indeed was ahead of me by about 15k hps on Kromog. That did not alarm me at all. What did alarm me later during the night was a quick LFR run where another holy priest with ilvl very close to mine was ahead of me by about 20k hps.

I attempted linking logs for our guild BRF run but obviously I cannot do that yet, they are available should anyone be willing to check them out.

I should note here that I haven't been using glyph of CoH and just switched that last night after the LFR run.

Additionally, I need to improve on my usage of Holy word: Sanctuary and binding heal/glyphed binding heal as I overheal a lot with. My overhealing on renew is also horrendous.

I realise that a lot of this has to do with the healing team composition but any input would be much appreciated.
    If you can link the logs, than i am sure someone will point out things you could do better and tell you which talents is better for you to use.

- - - Updated - - -

oh 1 post, I'm dumb i didn't see..

YOu can still link the logs just put DOT instead of the actual dot, and tell us your char name.

I think it will help if you state your guild name or name and server so that they can look up your logs to assist

Deleted
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MVhCY4zmHjtkx7gK

just read that it's possible to post links if you remove the url characters. These are the logs for 3 out of 6 encounters.

Many thanks

Added link - Red
    Last edited by mmocc73a7e76d4; 2015-03-05 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    Can you remember the name of the other priest?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magition View Post
    Can you remember the name of the other priest?
    Crossblésser

Also thanks to Redsparowe for adding the links.

Deleted
    ahah that was me!!!

If you need any help you can message me matey! I'm from middlesbrough so know that geordie twang!

Your CoH/T90 uptime is good, but PoM usage is slightly lacking.

Attempt to always have at least 1 PoM in both melee and ranged groups and to keep it on CD for fights with regular ticking damage like Kromog, Gruul and Oregorger*.

*Oregorger doesn't really have pulsing damage until the rolling phase, which is where you need the healing most. It's also good if people miss interrupts or are slow to move out of pools.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-03-05 at 02:38 PM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    try to place your lightwell before pull circa 1-2 mins too then you get to use it twice if you didn;t do that already. Pom on cd as already said, keep your renew up and i'd use the coh glyph instead of the binding heal. LW glyph is also an option.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hello all,

You're not tracking your Serendipity for one - you cast a lot of binding heals and flash heals but hardly any PoH and no Heal, so you're just letting your Serendipity stacks fall off. I would drop Holy Word: Sanctuary; very few priests use it and even if you get 100% of the ticks with no overhealing, its use is still questionable. That's all I have time to look at this morning

Deleted
    ahah that was me!!!

If you need any help you can message me matey! I'm from middlesbrough so know that geordie twang!
    Aesome, just awesome, I dag up your armory after LFR and realised I must have been failing at sth. Very inspiring use of the class and spec indeed. I noticed your CoH was above your renew and your overhealing miniscule compared to mine. This is what I want to reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Your CoH/T90 uptime is good, but PoM usage is slightly lacking.

Attempt to always have at least 1 PoM in both melee and ranged groups and to keep it on CD for fights with regular ticking damage like Kromog, Gruul and Oregorger*.

*Oregorger doesn't really have pulsing damage until the rolling phase, which is where you need the healing most. It's also good if people miss interrupts or are slow to move out of pools.
    Having recently switched from disc were PoM is never hard cast, I've been using TMW to track it. Getting better at it but there is plenty of room for improvement. My question here is this: Let's assume that the ranged raid members have just taken dmg which requires CoH and it is still on CD. I am in the middle of casting PoM when CoH comes off CD. What would the priority be there? Cast a couple of Renews say to reduce the CoH CD faster followed by CoH or continue with hard casting PoM? These are the kinds of small details that I've been considering regarding PoM usage. Thanks for taking the time to look the logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    You're not tracking your Serendipity for one - you cast a lot of binding heals and flash heals but hardly any PoH and no Heal, so you're just letting your Serendipity stacks fall off. I would drop Holy Word: Sanctuary; very few priests use it and even if you get 100% of the ticks with no overhealing, its use is still questionable. That's all I have time to look at this morning
    I have set TMW up for serendipity and have used it for heal/PoH but on all if not most occasions those casts seemed to be wasted to overhealing. I suppose learning the fights better would improve this over time, but this was our second or hc Kromog kill and my second or third week of running holy. I defintely need to work on managing my srendipity stacks better though.

In regards with sanctuary usage, I read on a post that it's purpose is to lower the CD of CoH. Is this the case or was maybe the poster misinformed? Thank you for your input.

try to place your lightwell before pull circa 1-2 mins too then you get to use it twice if you didn;t do that already. Pom on cd as already said, keep your renew up and i'd use the coh glyph instead of the binding heal. LW glyph is also an option.
    Had not considered casting Lightwell earlier. I generally do it right before the pull which I'm now realising is inefficient. In regards with PoM usage, see my comment/question to PosPosPos's reply. Timing spell CD's right seems to be the major issue especially with CoH and PoM.

Many thanks for all replies.

Additionally, I need to improve on my usage of Holy word: Sanctuary.
    Yes, by not using it :>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Deleted
    As some others have said unless your raids are stacked 100% of the time sanctuary ranks up there with some of the worst spells in the game. Especially as it has a cool down!(LOLWUT) also with regards to the Pom question. You should use your own judgement with CoH as I tend to use it if there has been heavy raid dmg or 3- 4 raiders have taken dmg, others wise it's Pom on cd and I'm renewing. You should be tracking your words of mending too. So that when it hits 10 stacks you can place a renew on the tank and it will auto put that Pom on the tank assuming he doesn't alrite have it. Most fights are best for twist of fate too but for them other situations pairing your power infusion with divine hymn will help a lot.

You should also track your serendipity, and when you do track it don't jut use PoH, get some heals in too.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think we're talking over you a little bit - you should be sitting in Chakra: Sanctuary for most phases in most fights (for a new holy priest, just staying in it wouldn't be a bad thing either). BUT you don't use the Holy Word: Sanctuary from the Chakra stance - you're only in the stance to reduce the CD on CoH with frequent Renew and PoM casts.

Deleted
    As some others have said unless your raids are stacked 100% of the time sanctuary ranks up there with some of the worst spells in the game. Especially as it has a cool down!(LOLWUT) also with regards to the Pom question. You should use your own judgement with CoH as I tend to use it if there has been heavy raid dmg or 3- 4 raiders have taken dmg, others wise it's Pom on cd and I'm renewing. You should be tracking your words of mending too. So that when it hits 10 stacks you can place a renew on the tank and it will auto put that Pom on the tank assuming he doesn't alrite have it. Most fights are best for twist of fate too but for them other situations pairing your power infusion with divine hymn will help a lot.You should also track your serendipity, and when you do track it don't jut use PoH, get some heals in too.
    Modified my UI to show when WoD is at 9 stacks and Mending buff is up. Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I think we're talking over you a little bit - you should be sitting in Chakra: Sanctuary for most phases in most fights (for a new holy priest, just staying in it wouldn't be a bad thing either). BUT you don't use the Holy Word: Sanctuary from the Chakra stance - you're only in the stance to reduce the CD on CoH with frequent Renew and PoM casts.
    Indeed this is what I do, thoguh generally i start the encounters in serenity. I've macroed serenity to my flash heal so that I can get the +25% healing buff on the tank for "aw shit" moments but other than that I tend to stay in sancturary for most fights in BRF. The only reason I ever used sanctuary (the ground effect) was because I'd read that while healing ppl for almost nothing, it reduces the CD on CoH. I cannot verify that however as I' tried to experiment with it and it doesn't seem to be working.

I will post this comment here if i can find it again.

In the menatime thanks a lot for the advice.

Edit: I may have misread the comment I was on about. Doesn't say that the ground effect helps to reduce CoH CD. Not sure how my brain translated it that way.
    Last edited by mmoc7fe18fbe5e; 2015-03-06 at 01:37 PM.