Disc Priest - Help Me Improve

Hello community. I am looking for ways to improve my play. I tend to rank in the mid to high 60% (sometimes I go to the 80s, sometimes lower) for most fights as far as HPS goes for players at my ilvl. Here is a video and the logs, maybe you guys could advise me.

--Please let me know if i need to track something on my UI better
    --If I need to get an addon
    --If i should add a macro
    --If I am doing somethign wrong
    --Not using something correctly
    --Any tips

Here is the video -- Pug H Flamebender
    youtube.com/watch?v=uTlk3bjwst4

Here are the logs -- From this video Pug H Flamebender
    askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/05efa5eb-c67c-484e-be2e-742231eedf6e/report/18#v=1,d=1

Thanks for all your constructive feedback.

Ive found that I never cast flash heal unless the tank is about to die. In the video it seems that you are trying to snipe heals with flash heal.

What I generally do on fights in this tier is work up evangelism stacks to 5. Then wait for a big damaging ability or raid wide damage. around 15 seconds before it pop archangel, and get the free Prayer of Healing crits off. Then pop power infusion and blanket the raid in bubbles. Once the big ability is over or you run out of power infusion go back to stacking evangelism stacks for the next time. ALWAYS stay in front of the damage, you seem to be reacting well but you need to predict. One thing I do is bubble molten torrent targets as they run in to melee, then bubble all melee (or try to) before the torrent hits. Keeps them topped up and your HPS soars. A lot of times your mana will restrict how many bubbles you can put out, and your groups DPS isnt helping with the length of the fight (or your mana).

About the video you linked though. Your UI looks fine. Your raid members seem to stand in avoidable damage, as they burst down faster than the healers can keep up.
    Just remember to not cast PoH without Archangel, penance on CD, always keep a bubble on the tanks, and bubble everyone else right before AoE damage. Nice kill though. In the end you guys got the kill, and thats what healing is all about. One thing to keep in mind, you didnt pre pot, or combat pot on almost every pull.

Thanks for your help!

What should I be pre-potting, Intellect? I was under the impression that pots share CD with my mana pot which i like to have available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leau1945 View Post
    Thanks for your help!

What should I be pre-potting, Intellect? I was under the impression that pots share CD with my mana pot which i like to have available to me.
    They share CD.
    I always pre-pot int on fights that have huge damages on the first 30 secs or less. As soon as the fight starts, pop PI and get those 5 evangelism stacks ASAP.
    Do a pre-defensive penances before the pull if you're running 2 pieces. After 5 evangelism stacks, pop archangel and SPAM PW:S on the raid. If a group takes damage, go for your Prayer of Healing with Empowered Archangel on them.

There's no need to track anything as a disc priest, actually - maybe your archangel stacks if you're not used to knowing how many you have based on what you just cast. I use weakauras for Mindbender/Solace, my mind has associated a specific "bling" soudn with solace being off cd.

Very nice tips from Apollose.

On flamebender video:
    You're casting cascade on when there's no damage to the raid, which is just a waste of mana. Don't flash heal, only if you really need to get that big shield + heal on the tank with an empowered AA (Flash Heal with AA + Penance is a very high burst of healing)
    You need to pre shield stuff as a disc. Like the molten torrent stack on melee, blackhands falling stuff, etc.

Every fight that there's going to be a raidwide damage, spam shields randomly, it doesn't matter who's getting it (Blast furnace, blackhand, oregorger, kromog, twin ogrons, etc.). Hell, use this macro (spam button) if you want to go full random:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Power Word: Shield
    /targetraid
    /cast Power Word: Shield
    - If there's pre-set group damages (Gruul, Mythic Butcher) pre-shield them with a 10s, that'll do for 5~6 shields.
    - Area wide skills (like Iron Maidens line Shot) can be easily countered by using mouseover macros and shielding whoever is on the line.
    - Pay attention to pre-set timed debuffs, Iron Maidens fight is like the king of that - Admirals Random shots (check who has 'aggro'/who is being target), dark hunt, The blood coil, the three axes, the and the aim.
    - Also, damaging debuffs, snipe shield'em! Best source of heal farming! If it's a big one like Blackhands impale, go for some CoW with no shame.

Deleted
    Hey Leau ^^ pre-potting is to have the cd being able to reset, so you can indeed use an intellect pot right before pull, I save my combat cd for a mana pot myself, just to be safe.

I always penance on the tank who is tanking the boss on CD. Cascade on CD or 3 seconds before burst damage to proc some DA. PoM on CD on tanks. Solace on CD, now we have our awesome 2 set bonus so archangel will be on almost all the time.

Like Apollose i find myself neither using flash heal ever, maybe if tank is about to die, then still i go for PS rather then a flash heal, disc is more a spec to support other healers and give them a little extra room to let them heal up the raid rather then doing this ourselves, it is basically just a waste since other healers are way more powerful to do this, if of course they keep up

Your UI looks fine to me, this is really just a matter of preference imo ^^

Like Apollose said, disc is all about calculating damage before it happens, this is why i love disc so very much!
    One last tip, Clarity is amazing if your raid would have trouble keeping the tanks up.

In the end, everybody plays their class their own way, as long as it is helping the raid i find that people should play how they like, but there is always room for improvement of course!

Quote Originally Posted by moothz View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip Power Word: Shield
    /targetraid
    /cast Power Word: Shield
    Thank you guys so much for all the tips. I will work on implementing them. Also, I want to make love to this macro. Thanks!

so couple of tips. for flame bender anyone with Molten Torrent who cant solo soak should run into melee. that means you should always keep pw:s on all the melee.
    all the other damage in this fight is very unpredictable so I switch to clarity of will and just tank heal while not bubbleing the melee.

this fight does not have a high healing requirement so ranking higher then 80 to 90% would probly require your raid to take more unessary damage then a good raid would.

such as not useing barrier when firestorm comes out and so on.

Thanks for your help. Reducing my Flash Heals to almost nothing and using POH only on AA and getting more AA stacks has improved my HPS by 8-12k per fight. Thanks!

Once I get more settled in it, I will post again for more input.
    Last edited by Leau1945; 2015-03-11 at 07:23 PM.