Our Enh Shammy is struggling on AoE, any advice?

Greetings,

My guild is currently working on heroic blast furnace progression, and among the (many) issues I am seeing constantly is our enhancement shaman just isn't pulling the AoE DPS we need him to. Unfortunately, the limit of my shaman knowledge is that enhancement pulls solid AoE dps, so I would really appreciate the help!

Armory: us . battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Pyralis/advanced
    Logs: www . warcraftlogs.com/reports/xHJgLnAjrYRad7Pb

Sorry for the weird links, I haven't posted enough yet to include links :-(

I think you need to worry more about the rest of your raid not killing primal elementalists than this enh's dps. This shaman who you think is struggling actually did more dmg than all of your hunters, your warlock, and your rogue, and 2 of your other mages on primal elementalists. Your rogue should be pulling insane amount of dmg onto those elementalists, he's slacking/padding meters.

Keep in mind that although his damage is subpar on these attempts that you guys had, but he is not the reason why you guys are wiping on furnace. Also furnace is only a good fight for enh shamans if your tanks know how to tank correctly, firecallers and security guards should be tanked close to elementalists but not on top of them to avoid them getting the shield.

His opener is way off, it seems like he's not macroing his burst cds, it's a good idea to macro the openers so he can get them out at the same time. He's not using the unleash elements buff on his fire elementals, he used it on the first flame shock. He's not using unleash elements on cd, he's also not using liquid magma on cd, missed 1 ascendance.

Tell him to get the addon: Hekili, or at least make weakaura icons for his CDs, it'll help him with his rotations a lot.
    Last edited by 16dots; 2015-03-06 at 10:16 PM.

Sorry for not making myself clear. I know there are a LOT of other issues which we are desperately trying to work through. Pyralis is one of the best at following mechanics, regardless of his numbers, which is the reason I've taken a particular interest in seeing where the disconnect between him and other enhancements I've seen on this fight. I'm well aware that he's not the reason for the wipes, but he's the one actively asking me what he could be doing better, and looking at what he's attacking when, I think he's doing well, but his numbers are just a little lower than I would expect.

That said, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll forward that information to him as soon as I see him next, thanks! I know he's already using Hekili, but maybe he's tweaked the default rotation or something? Regardless, thank you!

Like it was said, phase two and three of the fight are almost strictly single target/cleave, it's a misconception that this is a true "aoe" fight aside from phase one. Even then phase one focusing operators is priority. Honestly aoeing can be detrimental to the attempt in phase two and three if slags are exploding all over your raid when blasts are going off.

For enhancement specifically, because of how nova works, and that it's a significant single target gain to fire nova at 4+ targets, it most certainly is an AE fight, if the rest of the raid is aware of it. Our raid usually has 5-6 slags when we hit phase 3, and interrupting them and letting the other enhance and I fire nova them down and just avoiding the explosions is a significant help in terms of both boss damage, and reducing raid damage cuz they're not casting while dead. Same with elementalists. Kill them quicker, get out of phase faster. No other spec (that I'm aware of) increases their single target damage by hitting extra mobs, except maybe a few cases of dots giving cast resets.

The most important thing on that fight is maintaining the proper pace. When P1 ends, you finish off the remaining adds, kill slag, kill elementalist, then repeat. If at any point you find yourself overwhelmed with adds, or you don't kill an elementalist on the first go, it'll probably be a wipe simply because you'll get overwhelmed at the end.

Deleted
    Judging by the setup of your raid you have plenty of ranged dps and the melee you have are good at cleaving. What first comes to mind is a good tactic for first phase.
    For this tactic you will be dragging all the adds to one side of the room. and Ranged dps will position themselves in the middle. Adds will be cleaved on the melee side, and that side will be blown up first. While ranged kill the bellows operator on the opposite side. Once one side's regulator is down. Move the boss and adds to the other side. and repeat. Be sure to top when there is no chance of a bellows operator spawning or being at high health. Keep in mind that this fight is a single target fight with a strict priority list. So any talents or specs should be chosen for that. Having many adds on one side would greatly benefit the dps of both your DK and the Enhance and will ensure that you waste less dpstime on important targets. This tactic overall makes for cleaner and faster transitions into p2. After that it is a simple rince and repeat of killing a slag, nuking the elementalist and cleaning up firecallers. Don't forget that cap totem is a great thing to use during p2.

personally i also prefer to run UF on this fight, as it helps single target dps later on, aswell as having 5% extra multistrike is great during the small bits of AoE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 16dots View Post
    He's not using the unleash elements buff on his fire elementals, he used it on the first flame shock.
    Maybe I have misinterpreted this sentence, but the Unleash Flame buff from Unleash Elements does not buff your Fire Elemental so using it on his first flame shock is what should typically be done on single target. For AoE, of course, you would want to use the buff for your FN.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of the post, if your player is having trouble tracking abilities then WAs would definitely help (since he is already using the Hekili rotation addon)

Quote Originally Posted by splinternz View Post
    Maybe I have misinterpreted this sentence, but the Unleash Flame buff from Unleash Elements does not buff your Fire Elemental so using it on his first flame shock is what should typically be done on single target. For AoE, of course, you would want to use the buff for your FN.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of the post, if your player is having trouble tracking abilities then WAs would definitely help (since he is already using the Hekili rotation addon)
    Ok, we were both really confused by that suggestion. Thanks for clearing that up!