Wish for next X-Pac: 4th Spec for more Classes

Rather than a whole new class I fell like a lot of great niches in gameplay could be filled by a 4th Spec option for a few classes, Demon Hunter comes to mind as a perfect 4th spec for Warlocks, a pet-less, dual wielding Tank or Melee DPS. With this addition I can see them opening up Warlocks to Nelfs, and could easily add in additional races with some Lore handwaves.

Shaman Spec: Earthwarden
    By fusing with an Earth Elemental, the shaman's body erupts in rocky outcropings. An Elemental hybrid, preferably more like a priest's Shadowform, than Warlock's metamorphosis.
    Mail Agility Tank

Deathknight Spec: Necromancer
    A ranged Spellcaster and pet class, the Necromancer uses endless streams of suicidal undead minions.
    Plate Int DPS

Hunter Spec: Packmaster
    Able to summon 2 non-exotic pets to work in unison, this Hunter leads from the front using melee weapons. Powerful control over threat and mitigation as pets absorb damage and spread it through the pack.
    Mail Agility Tank

Mage Spec: Timewalker
    In the heat of battle these Mages have the ability to create pockets in time, saving those inside from damage, or rewinding time to undo deadly harm.
    Cloth Int Healer

These are just a few workable(?) ideas but I'd love to hear some feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehache View Post
    Rather than a whole new class I fell like a lot of great niches in gameplay could be filled by a 4th Spec option for a few classes, Demon Hunter comes to mind as a perfect 4th spec for Warlocks, a pet-less, dual wielding Tank or Melee DPS. With this addition I can see them opening up Warlocks to Nelfs, and could easily add in additional races with some Lore handwaves.

Shaman Spec: Earthwarden
    By fusing with an Earth Elemental, the shaman's body erupts in rocky outcropings. An Elemental hybrid, preferably more like a priest's Shadowform, than Warlock's metamorphosis.
    Mail Agility Tank

Deathknight Spec: Necromancer
    A ranged Spellcaster and pet class, the Necromancer uses endless streams of suicidal undead minions.
    Plate Int DPS

Hunter Spec: Packmaster
    Able to summon 2 non-exotic pets to work in unison, this Hunter leads from the front using melee weapons. Powerful control over threat and mitigation as pets absorb damage and spread it through the pack.
    Mail Agility Tank

Mage Spec: Timewalker
    In the heat of battle these Mages have the ability to create pockets in time, saving those inside from damage, or rewinding time to undo deadly harm.
    Cloth Int Healer

These are just a few workable(?) ideas but I'd love to hear some feedback.
    It's a common request, fourth specs.

Ever since Druids got their fourth spec back in Mists people have been coming up with various suggestions as to what they could be and whether or not they should be introduced.

There are pros and there are cons.

Pros are obvious. You broaden the experience people have with their existing classes. It would be a big selling point for the expansion as well. People would be excited for it. You'd also allow people to potentially experience different roles on their existing characters, such as a Shaman Tank or Mage healer.

Cons are that Blizzard would have ten more specs, over three classes worth, to balance. They may not wish to do that, although given how each spec in each class are getting progressively isolated from each other it maybe more achievable in the modern day and age. Blizzard wouldn't have to worry as much about the unintended consequences of buffing ability x to improve spec a, but inadvertently empowering spec b.

There is also the potential for idea fatigue. Ten new specs and you're bound to retread some ground other classes have already staked out. How many different ways are there to tank or to heal after all before you find you're simply repeating mechanics. More often and more obviously than you did previously at the very least.

And not to mention what about those people who chose a certain class to avoid a certain role? Imagine the Mage happy as a pure dps suddenly finding he has a healing spec and his guildmates hinting heavily that they need a new healer to progress. Or the shaman being encouraged to discover the joys of tanking?

Still, I'd be in favor of fourth specs. I'm ready for my existing toons to be broadened, to have more options, to have something fresh brought to the table. Maybe in November.

I care not whether or not other classes get fourth specs, I just want the return of dark apotheosis.

15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think the addition of a 4th spec would breath a lot of new life into the game. I think it would be a great new feature since it would give an new option on how to play your characters to everyone without having to level up a brand new class or race.

Deleted
    For me it like
    new class > 4th spec.

they cant even remotely figure out 3 specs for the classes. i would rather they improve what we've got than add more garbage to the pile.

I would like to see Dark Rangers and Tinkers added to the game, but I do think there is room for a 4th spec for some classes.

Hunter - Beastcaller - A melee hunter that can take on the spirits of different beasts to alter his/her combat effectiveness/role.
    Warlock - Demon hunter - A melee dps (or possiblly tank) that imbues weapons with fel energy and takes on the abilities of demons.
    Shaman - Colossus - The shaman becomes a being of pure elemental energy, able to tank and heal themselves using the elements.
    Paladin - Exorcist - A ranged spellcaster DPS that uses DoTs.