Prot: What am I doing wrong with Gruul (H)?

Hi all,

Now that we have the first 6 bosses (screw you Thogar) on farm on normal, my guild wants to progress into heroic. However, as we started working on Gruul I noticed that we take quite a bit more damage from flaming slice than before. In normal I start the encounter as main tank and used Sacred Shield and Divine Protection as I gained stacks of Overwhelming Blows while my Monk OT takes the Slice back and forth between the two group splits. After the third flaming slice he takes over as MT and I hit the groups in the opposite pattern. Sure fine, great. Now cue heroic, tried the same method, but found that the boss hits like a truck compared to normal. I read up on the fight and observed people dropping the glyph off of Divine Protection so that they had a full magical damage cooldown to work with. Here comes my problem. I feel like now that I have to save up Divine Protection for a particular mechanic that I can't use it on a regular basis to mitigate stacks of overwhelming blows and I lose a physical cooldown that I have been used to using forever. As such, sometimes I am knocked out before we even get to the second rotation. In the offchance that I make it to where I mitigate the fire, I have tried to use Divine Protection for the 1st wave, Guardian for the 2nd wave, and then Divine Protection for the 3rd. This leaves me Argent Defender once I get the boss back as MT but if I use it for Overwhelming Blows I won't have it up in the case of a 4th rotation. I've never had this kind of issue before but not having a physical CD every minute feels baring as well. What am I doing wrong? I don't have the most recent log uploaded on AMR or I would share it.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...maothar/simple

As a tank you take physical damage from Inferno Slice (IS) so always keep your SotR up for IS

1) Use glyphed Divine Protection
    2) You can use your Divine shield to soak up one of the IS ( I personally use it on 2nd IS )
    3) Ask for external CDs - Hand of Sacrifice and Vigilance are excellent. Ironbark is a bit weaker and Pain Suppresion has higher CD but those can help too.

10+ Year Old Account
    1st slice: SotR
    2nd slice: SotR+Divine Protection
    3rd slice: SotR+GoAK
    7th slice: SotR
    8th slice: SotR+Divine Protection
    9th slice: SotR+Ardent Defender

Spec Unbreakable Spirit and use the glyph for Divine Protection. Not using the glyph is an extremely bad idea, because it is the physical component of the slice that is more likely to kill you. I also strongly suggest speccing into HA, having SotR up for almost the entire time when you're actively tanking him makes it much easier.

As a side note, upload your logs to Warcraftlogs in addition to AMR. Warcraftlogs allows for a more detailed analysis for the fight.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2015-03-30 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Along as you have another pally in the group I've just used sotr, then sotr plus sacs for the next two. If that isn't enough use the others suggestions and time kings and ardent defender with the second and third.