Question about lunkers

I know that lunkers now drop from fishing pools as of 6.1, but is the % increased than just free fishing?

Everything I read seems to be a 5% chance at a lunker at 1100 skill, but I don't know if that applies to pools or free fishing or to both of them.

In the case it applies to both of them can I assume that free fishing is better because you don't need to constantly find pools? And I could fish with other people and use the fragrant fish to get a potential of 1200 skill to further increase the drop rate while not having to share pools?

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn’t realize that you could now catch them in free water. I fished for about 30-35 minutes the other night. Ended up with 4 lunkers, all fished from pools. I have max fishing, plus the dragon rod and I was using bait so my skill wasn’t that much higher than max. It seemed like the rate has increased, or I was just lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I didn’t realize that you could now catch them in free water. I fished for about 30-35 minutes the other night. Ended up with 4 lunkers, all fished from pools. I have max fishing, plus the dragon rod and I was using bait so my skill wasn’t that much higher than max. It seemed like the rate has increased, or I was just lucky
    You could always catch them in open water, it was that they added the ability to catch them in pools in 6.1

From personal experience, the drop rate is definitely higher from pools. Have had a few instances where I got lunkers twice in a row from pools.

I was going to check drop rates on El's Anglin site but he seems to have disappeared. /sadness

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xentronium View Post
    I was going to check drop rates on El's Anglin site but he seems to have disappeared. /sadness
    I did the same thing

There's no difference in droprate for lunkers between open water and pools. RNG is RNG. Some people might get more from pools, some might get more from open water. Doesn't matter. They're both the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin-Sane View Post
    There's no difference in droprate for lunkers between open water and pools. RNG is RNG. Some people might get more from pools, some might get more from open water. Doesn't matter. They're both the same.
    Indeed i find this to be true, fishing from open water was much faster for me, as you said, no need to run about, was getting times where I would get all 5 lunkers in the space of my fishing buff, sometimes only getting 1-2. I fished for the 2 pets and it didn't take long at all, way faster than i thought it was gonna take

Now to grind out the mount ;o hehe, goodluck^

rng

farmed all in open water next to a edge of reality spawn location
    i was done farming coins for everything nat sells before a portal spawned on my spot

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Indeed i find this to be true, fishing from open water was much faster for me, as you said, no need to run about, was getting times where I would get all 5 lunkers in the space of my fishing buff, sometimes only getting 1-2. I fished for the 2 pets and it didn't take long at all, way faster than i thought it was gonna take

Now to grind out the mount ;o hehe, goodluck^
    pet?
    mount?

please explain

Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    pet?
    mount?

please explain
    http://www.wowhead.com/faction=1358/nat-pagle#items

Fish up lunkers, turn in for coins (and rep if you're not already exalted) trade said coins for stuff.