[suggestion] Remove nationality bias from moderation

A lot of people from all over the world post on these forums, especially OT. OT is one of your most visited areas, it would seem as if treating everyone fairly there would be a fairly obvious course of action.

Yet day after day, we see countless insults to others based on their nationality, most are taken care of via infractions and bans, yet most infraction worthy posts with American targets are largely left untouched.

Here's something I reported yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Are you stupid or just american? This is a tv show, this is not reality.
    Why is such a post left untouched by the moderation staff when it's blatantly against forum rules? I could spend 5 minutes in OT and come up with another 20 unmoderated comments, many of which have posters saying they've already reported, yet nothing is ever done.

Is the goal of the moderation staff to further the idea that certain individuals deserve to be insulted with no consequence? Is there some sort of exception due to our nationality?

"PM a super mod"

No, I'm not going to PM a super mod every time I make a report because OT moderators are biased. The report function should work without having to jump through hoops because I'm an American.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Because this forum is european run and moderated, with a large userbase of european people. Of course hating on Americans is fine. They laugh at us until they need us to bail them out of wars, recessions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Because this forum is european run and moderated, with a large userbase of european people. Of course hating on Americans is fine. They laugh at us until they need us to bail them out of wars, recessions, etc.
    And when you're done with it, they laugh at you again, those roaches. But who would've thought that The Savior would be that overweight?

OK, jokes aside. You guys are being paranoid. There's no "anti-american agenda". It's just forums. You can't regulate every single post that's being made. Sometimes you see stuff pass that just screams "ban", because nobody was looking. And then there's infractions for the most silly and harmless stuff. Mods are just people, they can't look everywhere all the time and some of them aren't very smart. Sure they've got their biases. But they certainly aren't organized to be specifically "anti-american". That's just how forums are, no need to interpret outlandish things into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That'll never happen. As much as Europoors pretend to be democratic and free, they only ever accept free speech when they agree with it, not the other way (which can proven scientifically just by visiting OT on this site).
    Merica and Straya unite - down with the Eurofags. They hate us cos they aint us.

- very high don't take me seriously...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh come now. True Americans don't care what other countries say, because we're America, and what other countries think doesn't matter.

That's how I approach "nation bashing" or what have you on these forums.

It seems to work out fine.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Oh this will be productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Merica and Straya unite - down with the Eurofags. They hate us cos they aint us.
    Australians make jokes about stupid Americans 24/7.

We're more like Europe really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Why do you care what people say on the forums? There is hard evidence showing America is the most successful country in the world. Who cares what people say

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's serious, it's kind of a problem, more for the person that believe it.

Otherwise, it if it is just a joke, it's not really something that big of a deal.
    Most of the internet got that image of the fat patriotic gun craving eagle fucker american.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll add a [suggestion] to your suggestion topic. Take off your tinfoil hat - not everything is a whacked-out conspiracy. Do you seriously think the mods here IP check every post in the OT forum?

Moderator 1: Ban this guy! Look at what he just posted in the-

Moderator 2: Wait, wait. He's from America, its fine.

Moderator 1: Oh, right. Sorry.

Seriously... no, just no. I'd be insanely depressed if I read into stuff the way you do. Stop being so paranoid before you hurt yourself.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Maybe that post was not reported?
    It was, by yours truly 20~ hours before I made this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'll add a [suggestion] to your suggestion topic. Take off your tinfoil hat - not everything is a whacked-out conspiracy. Do you seriously think the mods here IP check every post in the OT forum?
    Er, I don't think your understanding what was posted? Not sure what you're talking about.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

To quote yourself OP: This type of thinking could do you in.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Oh..alright then

Well, since this topic is still open, let us hope for a mod to clarify
    Personally I've reported a post 2 times, then contacted a super mod (It wasn't even directed to me the post, it was just really bad) and they infracted the person.
    Apparently the reason was with so many reports flooding through, sometimes some are just missed?

That being said, it reminds me of that one post from a mod even saying something similar about America. Someone has it in their sig, Baar I think?

*Gasp* They don't check it?! So that means i as a European can be banned for what i am going to say? D:

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post

- very high don't take me seriously...
    So that means this should be a reportable and banable offense too right? To Europeans and homosexual people in Europe.

Sometimes you gotta take things not too serious. Especially on the internet.

And let's face it. America is more in the news for well, dumb shit. Or are you going to say that parents being shot by their 2 year old kid by a GUN ain't stupid?
    And a lot of tv shows come from, guess where. I mean, who in their right mind would watch a fat kid running around on tv. Or spend coupons they saved up for ages...

Sorry, but that is just completely stupid.

I guess America is going to become the "Belgium people are so dumb" jokes.

Ban all the mods for not doing their job! A post that is reported should be banned within 10 seconds boys!

Making a elephant from a mosquito is a serious job.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

10+ Year Old Account
    We have moderators from all over the world (including quite a few that are US-based), which is about as close as one can get to removing nationality bias, short of hiring robots.

We don't allow nation bashing, regardless of nation. Feel free to report any post you feel violates the rules and it will be addressed. Keep in mind that that doesn't always mean an immediate infraction. Just because you don't see a particular post infracted does not mean that the person was not infracted for a different post, warned, or another action taken... or maybe there are simply not active mods available at that moment and it will be handled later. The moderator team is a group of volunteers and we cannot reasonably expect them to be available 24/7 and handling post reports -- especially in a place that generates so many like GenOT -- instantly.

Edit
    to address a few more points:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Because this forum is european run and moderated
    No it isn't and no it is not. Many moderators have their locations in their profile; you can see even in GenOT that a good deal of them are from the US. The forums are owned by Curse, which is a US-based company.

Do you seriously think the mods here IP check every post in the OT forum?
    Outside of admins and supers, moderators do not even have access to IP information.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2015-04-26 at 07:15 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |