Thread: Competitive PvP

Competitive PvP

Trying to work my way to 2k rating, first time I've competitively pvp'd in Arena SOLELY for that elite conquest set, my questions are as follows

1. Which bracket is it best to climb in? (For us Dks)
    2. Which spec should I be rolling?
    3. Talents?

Posted this in the DK forums but really didn't receive much of a response... hoping its better here

No rage please, I've been playing since classic and up until this grind have thought myself to be a pretty good player... however since everyone on these forums seems to say 2k rating is easy and I can't seem to reach it I am forced to assume I am playing incorrectly or doing something wrong...

So I am posting already stating I obviously am not a great player like I once thought I was and in need of some assistance...

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceDevilos View Post
    Trying to work my way to 2k rating, first time I've competitively pvp'd in Arena SOLELY for that elite conquest set, my questions are as follows

3. Talents?

Posted this in the DK forums but really didn't receive much of a response... hoping its better here

No rage please, I've been playing since classic and up until this grind have thought myself to be a pretty good player... however since everyone on these forums seems to say 2k rating is easy and I can't seem to reach it I am forced to assume I am playing incorrectly or doing something wrong...

So I am posting already stating I obviously am not a great player like I once thought I was and in need of some assistance...

Thank you!

2k is easy if you have a dedicated team that consists of good players, and can continuously meet each week to push your rating. That is the hardest part. As far as your other questions are concerned, see below.

1. Which bracket is it best to climb in? (For us Dks) - I would say for any class it's 3s. They are really the only arenas worth doing.
    2. Which spec should I be rolling? Most DKs I've seen are unholy I believe for 3s. I see some frost, but mostly in 2s.
    3. Talents? This varies depending on the comp. You'll want to switch talents and glyphs like most other classes while inside the arena.

Personally I would head over to here: Arena Junkies - Rankings - DK and see what those players are using. Test it out and then make small adjustments to your playstyle. Again, you'll need to switch out talents on the fly when in arena pregame, as well as glyphs. I play warrior, so I can't tell you which ones you should use in which situation, but maybe someone else here can go into more detail on that for you.

Also, here is a site that lists the comps you should be partnering with: DK Arena Comps

3. Talents?

Thank you!
    It is easy after you achieve it once =p

Every bracket is possible, it will be easier or harder depending on who can play with you.

For 2s, frost DK and healer (pally being your best bet) will get you there. If you would rather play double DPS go for ret pally > rogue = hunter.
    For 3s, TSG with a monk healer (sometimes called TSCHI) is a R1 viable comp, and very easy to play at lower ratings (train something non-stop, very little CC involved), in this comp you can play frost or unholy, but frost will be better.
    Other comps you can play, in order of efficientcy, are Smoke bomb cleave (Rogue / Frost DK / Healer), PHD (hunter / frost dk / healer) and Shadow cleave (Aff. Lock / Unholy DK and healer). I have seen some teams playing ebola cleave (unholy / feral / healer) and vanguards cleave (priest healer / DK / Warrior), but very few, so I would assume they are not as efficient.

On talents, BoS is the only mandatory one, as it does huge burst once you learn to use it correctly.

Thank you both for the responses... hopoefully I can get some recorded game play put up so someone can possibly point out if I am doing anything wrong

Deleted
    As a hunter Im a fan of phd (dk hunter holypali). I've had a lot of fun with this and its fairly easy to play which is great if your starting out in 3s with not alot of experience. A good comp to get your feet wet with.

Quote Originally Posted by nightgerbil View Post
    As a hunter Im a fan of phd (dk hunter holypali). I've had a lot of fun with this and its fairly easy to play which is great if your starting out in 3s with not alot of experience. A good comp to get your feet wet with.
    PHDK isn't particularly strong past like 2500. Not that it applies to this, but just a heads up if you want to go higher.

While not Rank 1 viable, find a GOOD Windwalker and you can do 2's and 3's while having a lot of fun and with great results.
    2's WW/DK just train the healer, or DPS if you can split their team up with CC. Burst is awesome.
    3's, generally spread pressure - UH DK and WW clones wear down the other team while training their healer.

Deleted

3. Talents?

Thank you!
    I think that "2k is easy" is a wrong perception. 2k is like top 5-10% of the active players. It's easy if you already have prior (high rated) experience and know a few good people, but if you just started with arenas it is pretty hard to find partners who are willing to learn together with you and who don't want to see instant results.

That said, improvement can be achieved on any level. I would pick 2s to climb, simply because you only need one partner.

10+ Year Old Account
    2s all the way. Getting a competent healer, and knowing how to do dps PvE style can get you to 2k easy. It is the easiest bracket by far.