10+ Year Old Account

Question [PvP] Full Glass Cannon In BGs - Stat Priority

Greetings,

I hope this will be a straightforward answer so I'll try to keep my question brief.

Assuming the following:
    • Fresh 100 lvl Frost Mage (Interested in Fire too though)
    • Random BG 90% / Arenas 5% / WPvP 5% (% of time spent on average)
    • Solo Queued. No Support.

What stats should I stack to do the most burst as quickly as possible with no regard for self preservation?

I understand the current model is to stack Haste into oblivion, followed closely by Versatility (or Multistrike depending on who you ask).

I am only interested in gearing towards the biggest boom. I understand that I may very well become close personal friends with the spirit rezzer.

Having math to back it up would be a plus, although I will consider anything that "feels" good.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Lostblade01; 2015-04-30 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Grammar... I lacks it. Class spec /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Lostblade01 View Post
    Greetings,

I hope this will be a straightforward answer so I'll try to keep my question brief.

Assuming the following:
    • Fresh 100 lvl Frost Mage (Interested in Fire too though)
    • Random BG 90% / Arenas 5% / WPvP 5% (% of time spent on average)
    • Solo Queued. No Support.

What stats should I stack to do the most burst as quickly as possible with no regard for self preservation?

I understand the current model is to stack Haste into oblivion, followed closely by Versatility (or Multistrike depending on who you ask).

I am only interested in gearing towards the biggest boom. I understand that I may very well become close personal friends with the spirit rezzer.

Having math to back it up would be a plus, although I will consider anything that "feels" good.

Thanks in advance!
    For frost, if you truly just want biggest boom,

I'd go with:

Versa -> Crit -> Multi -> Haste

Haste is quality of Life for gettign SHeeps off and lower GCD, Going HAste then Versa gives you good damage while letting you actually do things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    For frost, if you truly just want biggest boom,

I'd go with:

Versa -> Crit -> Multi -> Haste

Haste is quality of Life for gettign SHeeps off and lower GCD, Going HAste then Versa gives you good damage while letting you actually do things.
    Awesome! I'll give it a go! Thanks!

Edit: Just had a thought. With Crit being half as effective, would it still be worth more to get than Multistrike (considering we're attuned to it).
    Last edited by Lostblade01; 2015-04-30 at 07:10 PM. Reason: After thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostblade01 View Post
    Awesome! I'll give it a go! Thanks!

Edit: Just had a thought. With Crit being half as effective, would it still be worth more to get than Multistrike (considering we're attuned to it).
    Multistrike is also less effective, you only get one roll for multistrike in pvp as opposed to the two rolls.

Its a debate you can have, they are both going to be fairly close to each other, but crit makes it so you can get the big shatters, easier, at least until you hit the softcap.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the soft cap? 33%?

While I'm not the biggest PvP buff, the OP asked for "pure damage with no regard to his health", so why would you say Versatility is #1, Schmeebs? Vers gives among the lowest DPS.

Assuming he doesn't want to count luck stats (Crit/MS), I'd say Haste and Mastery* should be better in terms of raw damage (again, assuming OP still wants no regard to his safety).

* It's better than Vers for his situation since he'll be Frostbolting aplenty in random BGs.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Crit and multistrike values are HALVED in pvp now, so mages got shafted big time. If you are running solo I'd definitely stack haste though, as it translates into more mobility thus more survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Crit and multistrike values are HALVED in pvp now, so mages got shafted big time.
    The fuuuuuuuuuuuck? When did that happen? Still though...

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    If you are running solo I'd definitely stack haste though, as it translates into more mobility thus more survivability.
    Exactly. Vers is still a good PvP stat, but when you don't care about dying, not so much.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Hes asking for biggest burst, Haste is good for getting off sheeps/rings, all your burst as a mage in pvp comes from Comet/IN, a little bit from Bolts and lances, but those aren't the heavy hitters, adding 1% damage to all your abilities is going to be more of a burst gain than from multi or crit (because of the nerfed effectiveness in pvp)

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    While I'm not the biggest PvP buff, the OP asked for "pure damage with no regard to his health", so why would you say Versatility is #1, Schmeebs? Vers gives among the lowest DPS.

Assuming he doesn't want to count luck stats (Crit/MS), I'd say Haste and Mastery* should be better in terms of raw damage (again, assuming OP still wants no regard to his safety).

* It's better than Vers for his situation since he'll be Frostbolting aplenty in random BGs.
    Agree with you on the haste/mastery. It's what I have been stacking on my Frost mage and those novas hit like a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Agree with you on the haste/mastery. It's what I have been stacking on my Frost mage and those novas hit like a truck.
    Neither of those stats increase the damage of ice nova.