Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    From PTR testing so far I would that my list goes as follows:

Rogue/DK>Feral/Monk>ret/enha/warrior. Set bonuses might change some of this, but this is my opinion for now.

world of logs for numbers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RyuuSaber View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been thinking of Re-rolling from my warrior to another melee class. The problem though is I've a really hard time deciding what I should re-roll to.
    I've been clicking on each sub section on mmochampion to read each classes nitches and would probably say to myself I should pick the one I enjoy the most, but that would obviously be warrior.

Therefore I'm reaching out to the community to get some insight on what could be the viable melee class to roll into. As a sample I know Rogue has insane mobility and defensive cooldowns, hence they're favoured in Mythic BH. I know Monk has a lot of movement and nice cleave with the wind earth and fire, but I'm not sure what the other melee class has to offer which could play a major role in the decision making.

Therefore I ask again, what is /(do you think is) the most viable melee class in 6.2? (Focused on Hellfire Citadel Myhtic Progression)
    if its a permanent reroll you should think about it more in general

you can never make a mistake by picking hybrid class, game shifted towards these classes during WotLK and its not going back, also the situation in which you stack 5 specific classes/specs just to make certain mechanics easier will not happen so often in the future and getting a spot in raid as a rogue has always been difficult (and to be honest, as someone said, we dont know how good are they going to be, in highmaul they were pretty average at best and had same toolkit as they have now). Best 6.2 melee to reroll? Well, your goal is extremely shortsighted if you want to reroll to best melee class in one single patch which will last half a year maybe. This fotm crap will change every patch, do you want to reroll every single patch? Because if you pick wrong class there is huge chance of this happening to you...

Long-term advice: go hybrid , shaman, paladin, druid or monk.
    Short-term (6.2): go DK, rogue brings basically nothing to the raid except one meh cooldown (as DK you can still tank if necessary)

Deleted
    Yeah, uh, about that theory with hybrids being strongest of yours, it's funny how they're actually consistently the weakest DPS specs in the game, isn't it? No guild seriously wants Shamans or Ret Paladins atm given any sort of sensible alternative, whereas especially Rogues and to some degree DKs are always strong just due to the basic class mechanics of "cheese literally everything with Feint" and "grip shit for more efficient AoE". Like, I don't even know where you've gotten the idea from that getting a spot in a Mythic raid as a Rogue is hard when Rogues are perennially the least played AND most in-demand melee in the game.

If you're going to be doing Mythic progression (which is the entire point of the OP), you're not just randomly going to be asked to tank right out of the blue - at worst you'll be asked to simply re-roll to another class/DPS spec between tiers. Picking one that's not fucking useless 9 tiers out of 10 is a much better bet than picking a hybrid because "hey maybe then I can heal or tank" if you're not already a competent, experienced healer or tank, because in Mythic progression people have pre-defined roles and are expected to show up to every raid.

Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    Yeah, uh, about that theory with hybrids being strongest of yours, it's funny how they're actually consistently the weakest DPS specs in the game, isn't it? No guild seriously wants Shamans or Ret Paladins atm given any sort of sensible alternative, whereas especially Rogues and to some degree DKs are always strong just due to the basic class mechanics of "cheese literally everything with Feint" and "grip shit for more efficient AoE". Like, I don't even know where you've gotten the idea from that getting a spot in a Mythic raid as a Rogue is hard when Rogues are perennially the least played AND most in-demand melee in the game.

If you're going to be doing Mythic progression (which is the entire point of the OP), you're not just randomly going to be asked to tank right out of the blue - at worst you'll be asked to simply re-roll to another class/DPS spec between tiers. Picking one that's not fucking useless 9 tiers out of 10 is a much better bet than picking a hybrid because "hey maybe then I can heal or tank" if you're not already a competent, experienced healer or tank, because in Mythic progression people have pre-defined roles and are expected to show up to every raid.
    Not really much else I can add on to this. If you're raiding, other than the absolute extreme niche situations (Shaman on Spine of Deathwing is the last time I remember this even happening, before that, Paladins in Hyjal/Felmyst) you don't regularly jump roles in serious mythic raiding guilds, especially ones that consider rerolling.

Sure, between tiers people may shift around to fill tank or healing spots that have opened up, and DPS will switch around, but by and large if you go as a DPS, you will play a DPS, you won't switch to offspec, you will switch character to the one that is OP. If it isn't serious mythic raiding, then this thread is largely redundant because the answer changes significantly.

Deleted

where did i say hybrids are best melee dps classes? I dunno, people always imagine things. Hybrids are best to pick in general, if it wasnt clear. They are best to get a spot in raid. If some patch screws you over you can always go tank, heal or be a ranged damage dealer. As a rogue? Well you are screwed.

Also OP did not provide much information and you immediately assume he is in a top10-20 mythic guild with huge roster and being able to have perfect raid comp every single time (and chance of this being the case is small since he is reading forums to find out which class to pick and i think he doesnt even have these classes leveled up otherwise he would know - but thats my observation based on what he wrote) . Guess what - 95% of mythic guilds are not like that. What i see atm are guilds desperately trying to recruit people with strong OS simply because they are unable to field 20 ideal players for each encounter.

And yes, getting a spot as a rogue is hard because of mathematics. As many people correctly stated in this thread you will always want more ranged than melee, this has always been the case since forever. I dont know where exactly were rogues "in high demand" during highmaul. Or any other mythic encounter besides blackhand? Its hard because there usually is a rogue in a mythic guild, or a DK but getting another ranged dps is usually welcomed. Ele shaman or moonkin are completely viable and judging by looking at dps performance the ranged classes/specs are simply dominating the charts - thats why i said hybrids are actually the best, simply having an option to change spec depending on fight is golden. To me going pure melee class will bring OP to the same position he is currently in.

TLDR, again to repeat myself, long-run (permanent reroll) go hybrid/ranged, short-run go rogue or DK (i prefer DK)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post
    where did i say hybrids are best melee dps classes? I dunno, people always imagine things. Hybrids are best to pick in general, if it wasnt clear. They are best to get a spot in raid.
    They are not though. I'm a recruiter for my guild so know what the market is. At any time, there are relatively few guilds asking for either Paladin or Shaman (for DPS) but Rogues are always in high demand. For example, we have no DPS Shaman since ours stepped down and we aren't replacing them. I was taken on by the guild a year ago because they thought our utility would remain strong after the pruning (lol).

You can easily see this for yourself. Just pretend you are, in turn, a Ret Paladin, Enhancement (or even Elemental) Shaman and a Rogue on WoW Progress and search for a guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post
    where did i say hybrids are best melee dps classes? I dunno, people always imagine things. Hybrids are best to pick in general, if it wasnt clear. They are best to get a spot in raid. If some patch screws you over you can always go tank, heal or be a ranged damage dealer. As a rogue? Well you are screwed.
    History would show us it's far more common for all 3 of a hybrids specs to be shit than for rogues to not have a top pick melee spec.

It's not about dps (well it is, but its not the driving factor that causes this). You know getting a rogue is always a safe bet because feint exists. Stuff like cloak and smoke bomb is nice too, but mostly because feint exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Still BLAH BLAH BLAH. Has anyone actually read the topic title?

It mentions 6.2.

So while your suggestions are very nice and detailed and quite true, every single answer here fails to comply with what OP asked.

He's not asking which melee DPS class is the most viable in a mythic raid progression IN GENERAL.

EDIT: Kudos to Zekyu for actually answering the question based on his PTR experience.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2015-05-06 at 12:44 PM.

Rogue, next question?

Rogue or Death Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallX View Post
    Ret

*bursts out laughing*
    Hey dog, I am in the taunt rotation for Gruul Mythic, where I can soak a fire swipe thingy by myself (bubble + taunt). That's utility right?

This is only really true if you're talking about melee hybrids. Ele Shaman and Boomkins are always good, with Boomkins being the most overpowered DPS class of this tier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Hey dog, I am in the taunt rotation for Gruul Mythic, where I can soak a fire swipe thingy by myself (bubble + taunt). That's utility right?
    Yes; totally needless, but certainly utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    WE DON'T KNOW YET.
    We know that toolkits rarely massively change mid addon so unless some of the specs that are currently not worth mentioning here are massively overtuned in terms of damage making educated guesses is entirely fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyu View Post
    From PTR testing so far I would that my list goes as follows:
    Rogue/DK>Feral/Monk>ret/enha/warrior. Set bonuses might change some of this, but this is my opinion for now.
    Would have been my list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyu View Post
    Be prepared to bow down to your subtly rogue overlords unless the set bonuses change. All other melee become redundant.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    In terms of pure dps it really depends on fight. I play warrior which we all know isn't in the best place. But I can still keep up and beat all the other melees in most fights.
    I truely believe that the dps is really dependent on the player and not the class in most fights. As we all know Blackhand is one exception.

But in terms of overall usability in Mythic raiding, rogue for sure. Their survivability is just insane compared to others.

Think its a bit to early to speculate in what will be the strongest in 6.2. It can all change over a night, multiple times.

If history repeats itself, Warriors will outshine the rest with incredible damage from their ability to scale extremely well with gear. Given that they'll start hitting crit %'s where BT's will constantly proc RB's I wouldn't be surprised if they start topping charts.

Having said all that, the way they've been constantly been buffing and nerfing nearly every spec in the game during a specific patch even when it's not broken may negate all that.