Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaer View Post
    Hi, so I've gotten into mythic raiding, and I want to know how I can keep track of all he mechanics and do them right, while still doing my rotation right. I practice my rotation for an hour a a day almost every day. On fights like Gruul I top meters, but later on as I get to more difficult bosses, I find that in rode to not die/do mechanic right I can't pull off a good rotation. How do top players manage to pull this off? I am only human and I can only keep track of so many things at once.
    Kudos to you if you're actually practicing your rotation an hour a day. As a player with #1 class server/#1 class world ranks at some point or another... here's my three cents.

1. Key bindings - I presume you have everything you would ever possibly use in raid keybound, if not, that's step 1. Keybind intelligently, and keep them the same across characters if you can. Easiest buttons to hit for most often used abilities. For example, 1-5 for most commonly used abilities, shift 1-5 for proc usage/finishers, CTRL modifier for major cooldowns or abilities you don't want to hit on accident. I use CTRL T as a major DPS cooldown for all 11 alts. I use SHIFT F as a major raid wide defensive for all 11 alts. Q is my interrupt. Keybinds I won't ever set off on accident but are easy to hit when I want it. Keybinds can be whatever you want, but follow the golden rule of easiest to hit-most often used. Mostly I use 1-5, qerftgywz and SHIFT/CTRL modifiers for those 14 buttons, 42 abilities.

2. Movement - people move their character in different ways, but I would suggest binding A and D to strafe left and strafe right if you have been key board turning, using your mouse to move your camera. As a melee, perfect movement is KEY, any time out of melee range is lost DPS. As ranged, if you can strafe move in 1s when you keyboard turned for 2s, you've lost dps. You should be comfortable enough to be able to move in a straight line, jumping, turning 180 degrees, attacking, turning 180 degrees, and continue running in the direction you were moving. Practice on a hunter. Any Mythic Hanz and Franz fight will show you the people with subpar movement setup. As an aside, my movement and keybinds cause me to tend to strafe left.

3. Actions per minute and muscle memory - professional starcraft players and people in general who seem to do things at superhuman speed aren't born faster than you. They practice the exact same activity in the exact same order, thousands of times. Build orders in Starcraft are a great example of this. You're halfway there if you have practiced your rotation a lot. The second half is doing each fight exactly the same, every time. You always pop CDS on pull, and you always stand in the exact same place, and move in the exact same way, and CDs exactly at this point in the fight, etc. When you've mastered that, then you can tweak CDs to align with procs and adds spawning, etc. Your DPS on Gruul wins meters because it's very easy to execute your planned rotation in its exact order and your planned movement on that fight. You need a movement and abilities plan for other fights. Try to always do each fight the same, just like you're always trying to do your rotation the same. Having a plan and doing the same thing every time is proactive and predictive versus reactive (which will get you killed/mess you up).

4. User interface - sample UI: http://imgur.com/ghcwNuM Bartender/weakauras/moveanything
    Any information on your screen that isn't absolutely vital to doing more damage, purge it from your screen. If an ability has no cooldown and you have the keybind memorized, consider hiding that ability (bartender can fade out entire bars that light up as you mouseover, look closely at SS). Everything in your UI should be tight. Pretend you had to mouseclick everything, and you want to minimize the amount of distance your cursor has to move. Why? Because your eyes have to do it. If your eyes can see everything you need in a 5x5inch monitor space, do that instead of spreading everything out to the far corners of your screen. Delete too much, then add it back as you need it.

5. Add ons to track cooldowns and procs - weakauras is your friend. I remember creating my first weakaura to track Inquisition when I first started playing my paladin. My dps went up some 10-15% because I was always forgetting to keep inquisition active. Creating your own string in weakauras looks complicated at first, but it's not as hard as it looks. Use them to track cooldown downtime and uptime. Weakauras are ESPECIALLY great for tracking procs, from your trinkets or ability procs. I track all trinket proc uptimes, and finishers. A second, RED weakaura takes over if an ability has procced and it is about to run out/I would waste it. You can always import weakaura strings from other players to get started.

6. Remember that rotation is not rotation, it's ability priority. Make sure you have researched correctly...

If you have done all of the above, the most important advice I can give is to focus on never making a Global Cooldown Error. If you do 50k dps, every second wasted moving, facing the wrong way, out of range, wrong ability hit, is 50,000 dps lost you can never get back. Say "Error" out loud each time you make a mistake in an encounter, and you'll get a feel for how much higher your damage can be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolti View Post
    Do the Hexos Brawler's Guild fight. Best way to practise doing your rotation blindly.
    Very true. And it's awesome to help you streamline your UI, by showing you which elements you can keep track of in your head and which you just have to doublecheck at times.
    Although you can outgear it already :P

@Mustle-memory topic:
    I stand by my word that mustle memory is a huge factor at getting better/faster at the game. If you have any idea of how the brain works, or any experience actually playing the game and not only typing away on MMOC you'd probably agree.

15+ Year Old Account
    If ur gotten to mythic u SHOULD KNOW these things already, unless u were carried.

So this is what this game have come to, THESE kind of ppl are doing mythic, if u cant do both, u should stay in norm/HC, simple as that
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    A great UI will help a lot, you can make WeakAura strings that will literally tell you what the next 5 buttons you need to press are.

I still reiterate that practice makes perfect. The more attempts, the more CDs popped, the more 20% health priorities you do, the better you'll get. And if things are still too grueling or complex, why, there's 20+ different ways to DPS, 5+ ways to heal, 5 ways to tank...pick your poison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    If ur gotten to mythic u SHOULD KNOW these things already, unless u were carried.

So this is what this game have come to, THESE kind of ppl are doing mythic, if u cant do both, u should stay in norm/HC, simple as that
    I noticed that too...a very odd question to hear from a so-called Mythic raider.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It is sad and amazing how people will assume somebody must be cheating if they are outdone by them. When you could try to learn from them and improve also. That of course requires admitting that you have room to improve and aren't as good as you can be. It is amazing how people will assume they are fantastic at everything they do when time after time they are proven otherwise.
    Whether someone is cheating or not, if they are doing better than you then you should strive to try better yourself. Also, to anyone saying the rotations are simple muscle memory I don't think that is the case. Procs and such aren't just muscle memory. You have to have good reaction time and be able to see when things change very quickly. If I close my eyes on a test dummy I would lose a lot of dps because I wouldn't know when to react to the procs that are available to increase my dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Whether someone is cheating or not, if they are doing better than you then you should strive to try better yourself. Also, to anyone saying the rotations are simple muscle memory I don't think that is the case. Procs and such aren't just muscle memory. You have to have good reaction time and be able to see when things change very quickly. If I close my eyes on a test dummy I would lose a lot of dps because I wouldn't know when to react to the procs that are available to increase my dps.
    I'm not sure what your point is tbh. You do realize that a good UI and mustle memory are not mutually exclusive, do you?

Randomly switch around all of your keybinds before manhandling that test dummy. You would be performing at your best right? Oh wait, no you wouldn't...
    Last edited by mmocb77704d67b; 2015-06-06 at 11:17 PM.

Deleted
    awareness,knowledge and reflexes are the key pretty much for both gameplay and UI,if you know how to arrange your UI its gonna be a huge help and if you dont it will probably distract you-->

1.get a fitting Ui for your needs honestly build one yourself,nobody knows what you need/want (for example im raiding only with default ui and some addons and it works just fine even for world 20ish)
    2.read about your class/specc and think about specific encounters,timings and cd usage -->get general knowledge and a feeling for your class in general
    3.raid raid raid and raid,practice is key
    4.look at logs,point out your mistakes to yourself to improve and learn from raid to raid
    5.try to perfect the things above and get a good overall view for raid encounters (e.g dont always look for the pack beasts on darmac but focus on the abilities,just get a look for the important things,and a small details like adds spawning after a while)
    6.profit

hope it helped

Quote Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
    The majority of the HB users that were banned were down to using rotation bots.

Pretty easy to see, have a look at some of the top pharsing players who have not log'd a single pharse since the great banning wave and you'll see that!
    Top parsing players used bots? Wot? Were they actually that well scripted?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    No, he's just fantasizing.

'I can't do this so it must be impossible for anyone else' etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    It's the wants-to-be-top group that I've seen cheat the most. They are not capable of performing at the very top, but they still feel they deserve to be up there (or they just WANT IT NOOOOOW). I've seen it in pvp and I've seen in pve.
    I do believe that most of the very top players play legit. They are the ones who invest their time in creating add-ons that are legit, and sometimes are spread in the community via curse/wowi. They are the ones who spend insane amounts of time on the game, plus are naturally quick thinkers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrov View Post
    No, he's just fantasizing.

'I can't do this so it must be impossible for anyone else' etc
    You can just as well turn that around. 'Consistent .01 second interupts, flying while carrying the flag, instant dispel on random debuff, perfect reaction to certain procs without casting a filler spell that any human would need - probably just a better player, must be legit'

There's bads that just spew their envy everywhere, there's bads that cheat, and there's legit awesome players. So what.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's all about the ui

once you have a ui that lets you play without looking at your hotbars, your eyes are free to read the encounter

But no really, weak auras.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere. At least he's on the forum asking for tips and help. Not saying mechanics are too hard so they should be nerfed so he can clear Mythic. Those are the people who should stay in N/HC.

first 6 on mythic are pretty damn easy with the 5 ilvl buff tbh, they don't feel very mythic, they feel like the first 8 in SoO very easy no gear requirements, then malkorok really steps things up as does thogar.