[Resto] Help Me Fix My Guild's Healers

I'm slowing trying to fix our guild's issues one member at a time. One area that I am woefully unprepared to fix is healing. Our resto druid has looked at guides and really wants to do well, but his output is very low for his ilvl. Can anyone help me dissect his log to see what he could be doing differently? We're 7/10 normal and I feel that to progress any further we're going to have to fix these healing issues.

I apologize for the formatting below, but I can't yet post real links.

Operator Kill from Last Night:
    www[dot]warcraftlogs[dot]com/reports/qkaNF98jZbyJr7pH#type=healing&source=7

Gruul Kill from Last Night:
    www[dot]warcraftlogs[dot]com/reports/qkaNF98jZbyJr7pH#type=healing&source=7&fight=1

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I'm seeing some problems right away.

1. He's using Soul of the Forest for his lvl 60 talent, but barely ever actually activates the buff and utilises it? It's a waste of a talent in that case. Unless he starts to actually use the talent properly, he should opt for Incarnation: Tree of Life instead. I find it's better for throughput increase, especially because SotF can be kinda fiddly to use properly.

2. Harmony uptime on Gruul is rather good, but not so good on Operator. Still, it's better than his Lifebloom uptime which really isn't good, on both bosses, with Operator being the worst. Lifebloom should be like 95% uptime at least; as close to 100% as possible for optimal healing. I highly recommend that he get a WeakAura to track these two spells, such as this. Lifebloom needs to be up as much as possible, to proc Omen of Clarity and give the free Regrowths which are pretty essential to mana conservation.

3. He's using Dream of Cenarius, and using it a lot. DoC can be useful for mana conservation at lower gear levels, but it will can hurt throughput if you use it instead of other spells when there's actually damage going out. It should be woven amid regular healing, or used on downtime when nobody's really taking damage.

4. His spell usage is really odd on Gruul. He barely casts Rejuvenation, for one. Instead, casts Regrowth a lot, which, considering the fact that he has bad LB uptime, means that all of these cost him a lot of mana. It doesn't seem like he used Swiftmend much; it should generally be used off CD, and it's like a 15 sec CD or so (remembering off the top of my head, might be wrong but it's around that, i think) which means he could've cast it about 15 times during that fight - Gruul, that is - and he only cast it 7. Wild Growth, he also didn't cast as much as he possibly could've. If cast on CD, he could've used it 22 times during that fight, but only used it 7. Obviously with low mana regen it might not be ideal to cast it on CD, but he also didn't use any mana pots during the fight, which didn't help with that situation. He didn't use Tranquility at all, which is a big throughput loss.

5. Doesn't look like he used Wild Mushroom much on Gruul. A fight like that is perfect for it; shuffling it around the groups taking damage from inferno slice, or precasting it under a group you know is about to take that damage. It's a very powerful spell.

5. For Operator, he used Rejuvenation much more, and it was his top heal, but didn't use it enough. Mana wasn't as much of an issue here. Mushroom was second top heal, which is really odd considering the level of movement involved in that fight. Dream of Cenarius was his third top heal; also not ideal for throughput, indicating he was hardcasting it pretty much all throughout. Regrowth was used a lot, and again, with low Lifebloom uptime this can cause mana issues. Tranquility didn't seem to heal for much? I'm confused on that one, but he used it, which is better than Gruul at least. Wild Growth, he barely used; it should always be high usually, especially on a fight like Operator with the damage going out from Man-At-Arms. Swiftmend he cast only 3 times; with the length of the fight, it could've been cast around 26 times. Swiftmend should always be used on CD; it's cheap, so causes no mana issues, but ultimately powerful.

6. Ironbark was used only once during Operator; on a 1min CD, it could've been used around 6 or so times during the fight. It wasn't used at all on Gruul, and could've been, around 3 times. It's a really useful external for helping out tanks, and one of our Draenor perks improved it by increasing the periodic healing the IB target receives by 20%, so helps with throughput too.

I'm gonna sort through the logs more and see if there's anything else I could suggest.

To sum that up, these are just little tips for them:

1. Start using SotF properly, or switch out to ToL.
    2. Fix Lifebloom uptime; keep it up on a tank at all times. Improve slightly on Harmony uptime. Aim for at least 95%+ on both. Install WeakAuras and use something like this to help.
    3. Use DoC less, or switch out to another talent - of the two others, preferably Nature's Vigil for default choice, which should usually be used on CD.
    4. Cast Rejuvenation and Swiftmend more, also Wild Growth but keep an eye on mana. Utilise Tranquility for each fight, too.
    5. Keep Wild Mushroom uptime high, especially on fights wherein players are often clumped together.
    6. Drink mana pots to account for the increased spell usage. Probably try and get two spirit trinkets if mana is an issue; alternatively, one spirit, one throughput.
    7. Utilise Ironbark more.

If anyone disagrees with anything I've said here, feel free to say. I'm tired and haven't compared the logs much or looked into them too deeply so it'd be good if you can point out any errors! But hopefully this is okay, and should help.
    Last edited by Teramelle; 2015-05-29 at 05:50 AM.

First things first, you really shouldn't be running two discipline priests in a 12 man raid. With a raid size that small, they are definitely going to be hurting each other with the Weakened Soul debuff a LOT.

On to the resto druid though.

Gruul
    • As the previous poster said, he is using Soul of the Forest, but is not proccing it frequently enough. On Gruul, you should be able to proc SoTF as every slash comes out, and then Wild Growth the damaged group.
    • His Harmony uptime was actually really good at 97%. However, it looks like he refreshed it most of the time using Regrowth, which would not be an issue if he was getting Clearcasting procs from Lifebloom, but his Lifebloom only had a 40% uptime. He should aim to have this at 90+%. Casting 25 Regrowths is a lot, especially with LB uptime that low.
    • Wild Mushroom is VERY good on this fight, but he only cast it 4 times. And didn't have it down for about the first and last 45 seconds of the fight. On Gruul, it should be up 100% of the time, and always be under the group that is about to take Inferno Slice.
    • His mana is a lot lower than it should be, especially for running Dream of Cenarius on a short fight like Gruul. This is most likely due to all the Regrowths he is casting without Clearcasting. However, he did not go OoM, so it is not an immediate issue.
    • He also didn't use Tranquility at all on that encounter. If he can chain it with an Aspect of the Fox, it can be good to use during Destructive Rampage, otherwise, after a group receives their second slash is a good point to use it. Not using it is just free healing down the drain.
    • There are small things he isn't doing correctly as well. For example, he never cast Barkskin on himself throughout all of Gruul. Barkskin is on a very short 60s CD, so it should be used very liberally, especially on a fight with as much predictable damage as Gruul. The same goes for Ironbark, the Damage Reduction External. It is also on a very short CD and should be placed often on the tank about to take slice damage. Overall though, if he fixes the above issues, that is the bulk of the work.

Thogar
    • Again, improper Soul of the Forest use looks to be the biggest issue here, he only procced it THREE TIMES over a 6 minute 30 second fight. Proccing SoTF on Swiftmend CD would put him at about 26 uses, so he should be aiming for around 20 realistically.
    • He only used Tranquility once in the very last few seconds of the fight. He could have used it at least once more during the fight, possibly twice more. This is either bad intuition on his part (not using at times of high damage), or bad raid leading (not calling it at the proper time) depending on how strict you are with Raid CD's.
    • Harmony uptime wasn't great, but also not awful, sitting at ~80%, it should definitely be higher. This issue mostly fixes itself he learns to use SoTF correctly, as Swiftmend will refresh Harmony.
    • Again, Lifebloom uptime is nowhere near where it should be, at ~35%. Lifebloom is our most efficent heal (HPM wise), it should be up all the time, and on top of that it gives free casts of our emergency heal.
    • Still, too many casts of Regrowth, most of which not free from Clearcasting procs. This could be due to a few reasons. The first being that he may be used to healing 5 mans, where fights are much shorter, and Regrowth is a lot better to spam due to this. The second due to the fact that beside him, the only 2 healers are disc priests. Again This is a really bad healing comp, as it leaves the resto druid up to do all the single target healing that isn't absorbed from the Disc Priests.
    • Pretty poor Wild Mushroom uptime again. It should be about just about always. When up, it does at LEAST 9k HPS, usually more towards 13-15k. That is a lot of free healing just missing.

Overall
    I would recommend you to change your healing comp, and switch out one of those Disc Priests with a Holy Pally, or Shaman, or just about anything except a Disc Priest.
    Nightbloom needs to learn how to use SoTF better, he should be casting Swiftmend on CD basically - unless he knows damage is about come out and wants to hold onto the proc for a few seconds for it. For example, on Kromog, you may want to hold onto Swiftmend if you know Stone Breath is coming, that way you can Wild Growth the AoE damage.
    Work on his Lifebloom uptime and Mushroom usage A LOT, and to a lesser extent his Harmony uptime. To fix this I would recommend this Weak Aura: http://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveW...portant_spell/
    He should cast Tranquility more! It does a ton of HPS and is super cheap mana wise.

If you have any further questions, of if he would like to ask me any questions directly, either of you can contact me in game (Dalsar#1121), or in this thread.

EDIT: I just noticed he is also running with the Haste enchant instead of the Spirit one. Right now, this may not be a problem for him, however, once he adjusts his play style to cast more Wild Growth with SoTF, he definitely will run into mana issues with his current setup, especially looking at his armory since he only has 2 spirit items (cloak and legendary ring). So, this may not be something he wants to fix right now, it probably will be in the future.
    Last edited by Sporax; 2015-05-29 at 02:30 AM.

Very detailed suggestions! Thank you both for the write ups!

As a side note, I thought our other healer was Holy. That is my fault for not noticing that he switched to Disc.

I will wade through this information and relay it to our druid.