LF advice on Tyrant Velhari boss fight

Hello, first time posting on the forums, but an avid reader for a long time now, so bear with me!

I'm the raid leader for my guild and we've done normal HFC this week pretty much succesfully until we reached Tyrant Velhari.
    I was wondering if I could get some advice for strats here and usefull links to guides that helped your guilds.
    On the first phase, we can survive the first tempest using a Devotion Aura, but at the second tempest, the resto druids can't use tranquility since they have to move aswell, so about 3-4 people die, and we lose dps/heals and have to wipe.
    For the positioning, we tried to position the ranged/healers in a semi-circle around the boss, but it seems to me that we are very clustered together, and we get unwanted raid damage.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you're moving too much during tempest? You don't need to run from every single circle instantly, they take couple seconds to fill up and explode so you can place 2 in the same spot and then move. Saves you some damage from the Aura, which adds up quite nicely. It can suck if you have a lot of melee and they chain the debuff on themselves (obviously the mini-dot during tempest has to have splash damage, because melee would have it too easy otherwise), but it doesn't seem like this is your problem.

And obviously dispel anyone on low hitpoints during that part so they can be healed - getting hit by Annihilating Strike right after Tempest can be deadly. Well, maybe not so much on normal, but it's a painful combo.

Deleted
    Easiest way I can think of is....

Treat phase 1 like Malkorok, so spread in a close circle so only people around the smash need to move rather than the smash person. Tap WASD accordingly to deal with the tempests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatari View Post
    Easiest way I can think of is....

Treat phase 1 like Malkorok, so spread in a close circle so only people around the smash need to move rather than the smash person. Tap WASD accordingly to deal with the tempests.
    The smash targets the tank, so with proper positioning, noone needs to move.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we did this some people in our raid were moving so much during the storm or with the breath that they were taking more damage from the aura than they would have if they'd just eaten the fire damage to the face. Once people understood what they were doing wrong with this, the healing requirement dropped massively.

Make sure people are spread out so they don't have to move for the breath thing... just stay still and get hit in the face by it then tiptoe out of the patch under you. You can't afford to move around (taking ticks of the aura) and then get hit by breath after.

With the storm, stay still until the patch under you is just about to explode and lightly sidestep out of it. You only need to get like 3-4 ticks of the aura to be more damage than you would have taken by just standing in the fire... if people are running around like headless chickens you will struggle.

Alright, thanks for the input guys! We will try this out tomorrow on raid day and I will get back to you! Cheers!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    The smash targets the tank, so with proper positioning, noone needs to move.
    Anihilating strike doesn't target just the tank. I'm not sure where you've gotten that from. It targets a random member of the raid and does frontal cone damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatari View Post
    Anihilating strike doesn't target just the tank. I'm not sure where you've gotten that from. It targets a random member of the raid and does frontal cone damage.
    Bigwigs has the tank yell "Annihilating Strike on me!" even though they don't have it, so people get confused by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    Bigwigs has the tank yell "Annihilating Strike on me!" even though they don't have it, so people get confused by that.
    This was an issue for some people with high latency, it's resolved in the latest releases however.
    https://github.com/funkydude - https://github.com/BigWigsMods
    Author of BadBoy, BasicChatMods, BigWigs, BFAInvasionTimer, SexyMap, and more...

the knockup from tempest is pretty easy to avoid, you just need to sidestep it. You can lay two circles on top of each other but it isn't strictly necessary.

something that's not immediately obvious is that the pulsing damage from tempest has a two yard aoe, so if people are stacked too close (melee, basically) they will take a lot more damage from it than necessary.

People who aren't being targeted by annihilating strike should also step out of it; you take much less damage moving ~5y and back than you do getting hit by the strike (and you have to move out of the fire circle afterward anyway.)