Thread: wowtoken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    How do you know that?. If blizz were, from time to time, tossing tokens that nobody bought with real money in the AH, how could we possibly know?.
    We wouldn't. But why do you believe Blizzard would give away subscriptions for free?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know that?. If blizz were, from time to time, tossing tokens that nobody bought with real money in the AH, how could we possibly know?.
    We don't *know* that. But it is highly unlikely, for a number of reasons, that Blizzard is tampering with the token supply.

1) They don't need to
    2) It would cost them money
    3) It could have unintended negative consequences on the game

It is far simpler for them to just allow supply and demand to control the system. No need for any tin foil hats to find the explanation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The price is determined by the region's economy. Asian players apparently have more gold than EU players who have more gold than US players.
    Yes, but I've also read that subscription models like in the EU/US ("prepaid playtime") are forbidden in several(?) Asian countries. So they pay for actually in-game played time or something. I think this also might very well contribute to the very high gold price.

Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    The fact that already quite some players received their listed tokens back in the mailbox, implies that there might be more supply than demand. I think many people here overestimate the gold-making capabilities of the true average Joe in WoW. I vaguely remember that some Blue made a likewise statement, that most of the players had 10k or less or something?
    I believe that was during the last half of MoP.... Most of my friends that played back then had very little gold as well, mostly because they would rush to 90, then just do pvp or something. I had one friend in Wrath who played since vanilla and never had more than 2-300 gold, he never sold stuff to vendors because it took to long, and whenever he needed to pick up a quest item he just deleted something from his inventory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    I believe that was during the last half of MoP.... Most of my friends that played back then had very little gold as well, mostly because they would rush to 90, then just do pvp or something. I had one friend in Wrath who played since vanilla and never had more than 2-300 gold, he never sold stuff to vendors because it took to long, and whenever he needed to pick up a quest item he just deleted something from his inventory.
    Hehehe, completely unrelated, but it reminds me of a friend I had in vanilla. He played a paladin and never ever used his seals, because he didn't deem them necessary. He literally only auto-attacked and healed xd.

man i really think there are somehow a lot more people buying wowtokens with gold than buying wowtokens with money.
    kinda unbelievable to me that there are actually quite many people willing/spending $20 for 25k in-game currency, as you guys mentioned.

spending $20 for 25k gold sounds like a really bad deal to me, but spending 25k gold for $15 dollar worth of play time sounds like a good deal.

also, the possibility that blizzard put tokens in AH for ppl to buy with gold? im not sure if that is the case, but if it is, why would they want to do that?
    someone knows any possible reason why blizzard would want to put tokens in AH for ppl to buy playtime with gold???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    We wouldn't. But why do you believe Blizzard would give away subscriptions for free?
    In a momento of panic? yes; anyway i was not talking about unlimited suply of tokens, i said throwing a token now and then, which is very different

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    We don't *know* that. But it is highly unlikely, for a number of reasons, that Blizzard is tampering with the token supply.

1) They don't need to
    2) It would cost them money
    3) It could have unintended negative consequences on the game

It is far simpler for them to just allow supply and demand to control the system. No need for any tin foil hats to find the explanation.
    What money does it cost me to have someone who is not gonna pay the sub, in the game playing for free?
    what do i exactly lose?

And again, i am not saying they are doing it, i simply say if they did how would i know?
    Last edited by mmoccf1d2005b5; 2015-07-06 at 06:22 PM.

What money does it cost me to have someone who is not gonna pay the sub, in the game playing for free?
    what do i exactly lose?

And again, i am not saying they are doing it, i simply say if they did how would i know?
    You don't gain anything from it, either. Overall, it's fairly pointless to do so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    You don't gain anything from it, either. Overall, it's fairly pointless to do so.
    you gain something if the return of those players, prevent the future inmidiate exodus of current subscribed players.
    I do not know if that it is the case, but if it were, then i would be gaining something

my premonitions about gaming usually turn out to be correct, let's see how this one will plays out

Deleted
    In a momento of panic? yes; anyway i was not talking about unlimited suply of tokens, i said throwing a token now and then, which is very different
    Why would they panic? I don't get it. Despite declining subs, their financials are looking resonably solid.
    So what would be the business case? And even if there was a "marketing freebie" thrown in, what difference would it make for us, the players? We have no way of telling either way.