Deleted

Damage reduction for Shadowfel Burst (Archimonde HC)

Hello all. I am a restoration druid and I was wondering if I would be able to solo soak "Shadowfel burst" from Archimonde.
    According to the Dungeon Journal the ability does 653.400 damage (in heroic difficulty). This means that if I use both Barskin and Ironbark when I get it (40% damage reduction total) the damage I get would be 392.040. Since (buffed) I have 404.000 health that means that I should be able to (barely) solo this ability (as long as I am in full health). However, since normally damage reduction does not work for falling damage I am not 100% this strategy will work... has anybody tested something like this? (using damage reduction NOT immunity).
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayta View Post
    Hello all. I am a restoration druid and I was wondering if I would be able to solo soak "Shadowfel burst" from Archimonde.
    According to the Dungeon Journal the ability does 653.400 damage (in heroic difficulty). This means that if I use both Barskin and Ironbark when I get it (40% damage reduction total) the damage I get would be 392.040. Since (buffed) I have 404.000 health that means that I should be able to (barely) solo this ability (as long as I am in full health). However, since normally damage reduction does not work for falling damage I am not 100% this strategy will work... has anybody tested something like this? (using damage reduction NOT immunity).
    Thanks in advance.
    It's not falling damage so your theory is correct, however I wouldn't bother since you're nearly killing yourself. Stick with soaking it, it's not even hard anyway.

First of all thats not how math works 20% + 20% is not 40% more like 36% or something. + its really not needed. If you want to play smart displacebeast into melee or something
    N

Deleted
    So what you are saying is that the second 20% damage reduction does not apply over the "original damage" but over the reminding 80% so actually using two 20% would actually make the damage you take 80% * 80% = 64% of the original damage? Can somebody confirm that this is how "stacking damage reductions" work? I always assumed each one was always over the original damage tbh.

Edit: Extra question: If I do displacement beast to where nobody is, do I still get the damage?

So what you are saying is that the second 20% damage reduction does not apply over the "original damage" but over the reminding 80% so actually using two 20% would actually make the damage you take 80% * 80% = 64% of the original damage? Can somebody confirm that this is how "stacking damage reductions" work? I always assumed each one was always over the original damage tbh.
    Of course it works like that, otherwise 5x 20% Dr's would be an immunity which would be stupid.

It's really easy to soak and its the best way to do it imo.

Deleted
    Yes, of course soaking it (with more players) is the intended mechanic. I just was wondering if it was possible to cheese it with damage reductions (which apparently is possible but 36% is not enough in my case) so the other ranged players can just keep DPS'ing as they would if a Hunter or Mage got affected.
    Can displacer beast be used to "negate" the damage or would I still get it? (distributed with people that may be around me when I land).

Yes, of course soaking it (with more players) is the intended mechanic. I just was wondering if it was possible to cheese it with damage reductions (which apparently is possible but 36% is not enough in my case) so the other ranged players can just keep DPS'ing as they would if a Hunter or Mage got affected.
    Can displacer beast be used to "negate" the damage or would I still get it? (distributed with people that may be around me when I land).
    You'd still get it. If you displacer on to one person you'll kill them as well.

Deleted
    Okey. So until I get a bit more health I can either try to Displacer Beast to melee (which is risky as hell since I have to make sure I am at the exact distance when I spread) or just soak it normally with the rest of ranged... I will stick to the intended mechanic for now then.
    Thanks to everybody for all the useful information :-).
    Last edited by mmocaceabbaf1e; 2015-08-26 at 08:15 AM.

Okey. So until I get a bit more health I can either try to Displacer Beast to melee (which is risky as hell since I have to make sure I am at the exact distance when I spread) or just soak it normally with the rest of ranged... I will stick to the intended mechanic for now then.
    Thanks to everybody for all the useful information :-).
    Never displacer beast or blink. It tends to completly bug shit out and kill people occasionally, even if done "right"

just smokebomb under boss and reduce dmg by 100% (unless hotfixed this wednesday).

Deleted
    just smokebomb under boss and reduce dmg by 100% (unless hotfixed this wednesday).
    What do you mean exactly by "smokebomb under boss"? :S.

step1: boss starts casting shadowfel burst.
    step2: rogue pops smokebomb in the center of his hitbox.
    step3: no purple voidzones appear and no dmg is done.

Deleted
    it's a rogue cooldown...

if your raid has one...that time would be a good time for the rogue to use it..

Deleted
    Unfortunately rogue is the ONE class my guild raid team lacks (and is trying to recruit asap) :P. I will take it into consideration if we do get one in the near future.

Deleted
    The damage shown in the dungeon journal usually scales with your versatility and with the number of players in the raid. Make sure to recheck inside before getting killed.

Ranged are gonna need to stack after shadowfel anyway for allure so there isn't really a point to cheesing it like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game