Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a long time Final Fantasy and knew coming here that there would be comparisons to XIV's "boss" music.

Crucify me, but I prefer a lot of what WoW has. I'd like to see more dynamic music in WoW for fights but if I had to pick what we have now versus some annoying repetitive song playing everytime I initiated combat in the outside world or in a dungeon I'd keep what we have now. For the record I loved Titan's music and thought it meshed perfectly and Ultima's music was great too..but everything else I encountered just got super annoying. I'm going to agree with MapleMeringue and his opinion about Soken. I love Uematsu, Mastuda and Hitoshi Sakimoto but the FF14 guy does not even come close to the greatness of those three.

Anymore when I'm forced into playing FFXIV I just mute the music.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMeringue View Post
    That music came at a price. Most of XIV's music is total bunk outside of the primals. The bulk of the dungeons, zones, towns, etc all have mediocre filler tracks compared to other MMOs. Being real, Soken is probably one of the worst key composers Square has had.

The full Nobuo Uematsu original soundtrack from when the game launched was so much better it wasn't even funny. The battle music and zone music was so fucking good. I'd ditch the whole Soken overworld soundtrack for On Windy Meadows and Quicksand on loop.
    I think you're mistaking personal preference for quality, and the fact that the only stuff you like in ARR and beyond being the primal music, which is the Soken composed stuff that gets closest to Uematsu's work, is no coincidence (in other words, it's your bias toward a certain sound, not the quality of the work or talent of the composer).

I have, and listen to frequently, both soundtracks. Both are really good, with Uematsu tending to use a bit more rock/electronic stuff in places that aren't primal boss fights and Soken tending to stick with orchestral themes if it's not part of a specific boss/primal fight.

Each track fits the zone or dungeon it's in just as well as anything Uematsu did for 1.0.

And if I'm being extra honest, Quicksand is among the most generic JRPG-style tracks on any of the two (well, now three including the 2.1 to 2.5 stuff) soundtracks for FFXIV.
    Last edited by Berethos08; 2015-09-06 at 04:58 PM.