Thread: Fel energy

Fel energy

Hi guys, does anyone know what the fel energy that warlocks use is? From the many sources stating how fel magic is "created" I'm left confused as to what fel energy is.

7+ Year Old Account
    There seems to be some differences between fel magic and fel energy but they both overlap in 1 respect: the act of destroying something to create that "fel" essence.

While mostly fel energy is associated with demons, Warcraft lore leans towards the core of fel being fel magic and people/objects that come in contact with this magic begin to "reek" with fel energy. The energy itself emits off an "eerie, sickly green glow" which is also attributed to a lot of the fel magic spells seen in game that are green.

I think at this point in Warcraft lore that "fel" can now be considered it's own school of magic. Not just in-game mechanic wise, but an actual style of magic. It just so happens to source of fel magic comes from the destruction of life energy originating from demonic entities.

According to Blizzard's historian, fel is a burn life to create kind of thing. This means that fel is NOT the same as the heat, or fire, that burned life to create it (the fel). Fel energy would be the smoke created when life is burned, smoke which would contain the life energy released, or, it's simply life energy that's polluted by the smoke created. As per the comic fel magic can be powered by life force, which is the soul in real life (Muffinus stated fel magic uses souls as energy).

Basically, fel energy is twisted/demonic life force (soul energy) from the Twisting Nether and warlocks harness this demonic energy from Hell (the Twisting Nether) by sacrificing souls.

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/608521632945012738

Real Fel energy consumes souls, yes. Hence, soul shards.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Soul_Shards_of_Summoning

Some of his disciples can summon minor demons. To do this, these lesser warlocks must use a soul shard. The foul crystal creates a connection to the Twisting Nether, pulling a demon through against its will.

https://twitter.com/muffinus/status/613971816298713088

Fel uses souls as energy, erasing them from existence. IMO Imagine you believe in heaven, and you go there, and then suddenly you are wrenched back to Azeroth, and consumed for fuel. Then, neverending blackness. And Sargeras calls to you. Do you want to end this? Serve him. Eternally.
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-09-30 at 10:12 PM.

Deleted
    yeah what the others have said

I might add it's basically sacrificial magic

you kill someone and destroy/consume their soul to create magic/energy/power

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    yeah what the others have said

I might add it's basically sacrificial magic

you kill someone and destroy/consume their soul to create magic/energy/power
    What kind of annoys me is that basically most types, if not all types, of magic involve sacrifice.

Druidic healing involves life force being drained and transferred like warlock healing.

Arcane is derived from the phase transitions of mana (basically you burn mana and arcane energy is released). Mana is the Hawaiian term for life force.

Chi is the life force that Shamans manipulate (per Kosak) and that monks use too. Monks kinda "sacrifice" portions of their Spirit, form it into balls, and chuck it to their enemies.

Imo, all forms of magic are sacrificial and employ life energy. Just different flavor. It's kinda annoying how Blizzard is trying to differentiate the classes when they are all basically the same in the end.
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-09-30 at 11:36 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    What kind of annoys me is that basically most types, if not all types, of magic involve sacrifice.

Druidic healing involves life force being drained and transferred like warlock healing.

Arcane is derived from the phase transitions of mana (basically you burn mana and arcane energy is released). Mana is the Hawaiian term for life force.

Chi is the life force that Shamans manipulate (per Kosak) and that monks use too. Monks kinda "sacrifice" portions of their Chi, form it into balls, and chuck it to their enemies.

Imo, all forms of magic are sacrificial and employ life energy. Just different flavor.
    The base difference though is that those other magics involve sacrificing your own energy and Fel Magic involves stealing it from others to sacrifice.
    My FC is 0430-8669-1800 add me and send a PM. My safari is Audino,dunsparce,Ditto.

"Insert clever saying here"

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsknight View Post
    The base difference though is that those other magics involve sacrificing your own energy and Fel Magic involves stealing it from others to sacrifice.
    There's Life Tap, which does not involve stealing energy from others to sacrifice.

The only thing I can think of that differentiates the energies is the purpose of the caster.
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-09-30 at 11:42 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well...no, not really.

Life Tap
    Well if you think about it, Druids borrow the power of nature. They have to be attuned to nature to use that power.
    Arcane energy flows both within the magician and the world and it is where mages get their power.
    The energy shamans use come from the power of the elements.
    Chi that monks use is kind of a manifestation of physical energy.

Fel-Energy is life and soul itself being forcefully siphoned and used to empower spells through corrupt means.
    It is the difference between working hard to make money and get rich and outright stealing the money to get rich. Warlocks use illicit means to gain power.
    My FC is 0430-8669-1800 add me and send a PM. My safari is Audino,dunsparce,Ditto.

Well if you think about it, Druids borrow the power of nature. They have to be attuned to nature to use that power.
    Arcane energy flows both within the magician and the world and it is where mages get their power.
    The energy shamans use come from the power of the elements.
    Chi that monks use is kind of a manifestation of physical energy.

Fel-Energy is life and soul itself being forcefully siphoned and used to empower spells through corrupt means.
    It is the difference between working hard to make money and get rich and outright stealing the money to get rich. Warlocks use illicit means to gain power.
    Yeah, it's kinda like the intent of the wielder matters...but then things get slightly complicated when we add classes like Necromancers and Dark Shamans.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's kinda like the intent of the wielder matters...but then things get slightly complicated when we add classes like Necromancers and Dark Shamans.
    I think rather than intent it is the means used. A normal shaman communes with the elements and borrows their powers. A dark shaman forcibly enslaves the elements to do their bidding. A necromancer focuses purely on death and the enslavement of souls to raise the dead and play with life for their ends while a warlock uses life and souls as mere energy sources.
    I think warlocks are something between necromancer and Mage. Mages refine their power through various means you can consider "legitimate" while warlocks uses life force and souls to forcibly augment their power regardless of consequences.

Edit: Another way you can see it is the difference between an athlete who trains vigorously through legitimate means to perform and one who uses a ton of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs to enhance themselves.
    Last edited by Deathsknight; 2015-09-30 at 11:57 PM.

A dark shaman forcibly enslaves the elements to do their bidding.
    That's what warlocks do though. They taint and enslave the elements with fel.

A necromancer focuses purely on death and the enslavement of souls to raise the dead and play with life for their ends while a warlock uses life and souls as mere energy sources.
    This is where intent "matters", but in actuality it doesn't. Both warlocks and necromancers manipulate soul (life force) against their will for "the dark arts" (necromancy) and do control undead.

- - - Updated - - -

I think warlocks are something between necromancer and Mage. Mages refine their power through various means you can consider "legitimate" while warlocks uses life force and souls to forcibly augment their power regardless of consequences.
    I like to think of warlocks as dark shamans, necromancers, mages, fel-tainted druids all wrapped into one.

Revenants are elemental spirits that are considered undead. Infernals are constructs, not truly living things, and the elemental spirits that animates them were disembodied.

Warlocks enslave Infernals, which are in essence Molten Giants (the beings that Dark Shaman enslave) = Necromancy + Dark Shamanism
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-10-01 at 12:51 AM.

Deleted
    yeah warlocks can practically do everything other classes do

they can open portals and cast spells like mages

they can enslave elements like (dark) shamans

they can practice necromancy like necromancers

we're op in lore

- - - Updated - - -

Chi is the life force that Shamans manipulate (per Kosak) and that monks use too. Monks kinda "sacrifice" portions of their Spirit, form it into balls, and chuck it to their enemies.

Imo, all forms of magic are sacrificial and employ life energy. Just different flavor. It's kinda annoying how Blizzard is trying to differentiate the classes when they are all basically the same in the end.
    I don't think that life force is the soul however. Druids, shamans and monks use nature and the elements as in the physical power of it, they don't go around and destroy souls to power their magic.

Even a dark shaman does not destroy the souls of the elementals to power his spells, he merely enslaves them.

I wonder how and if at all "Fel" effects affliction spells, I always thought of Affliction and curses as more of a witch doctor type, the anti druid/shaman.

I don't think that life force is the soul however. Druids, shamans and monks use nature and the elements as in the physical power of it, they don't go around and destroy souls to power their magic.

Even a dark shaman does not destroy the souls of the elementals to power his spells, he merely enslaves them.
    Soul is a type of life force/energy. One definition of life force in real life is "the soul" (the thing that animates, gives life to, stuff). Blood was referred to as life energy/force in WoW and Dave Kosak stated Chi, the Pandaren word for Spirit, is the life force that shamans manipulate. So it's clear to me that there is more than one type of life force.

Warlocks aren't actually destroying souls/life-forces, they're transferring them...or at least they can use fel energy to transfer souls/life-forces.

I figure, warlocks use Life Tap to create fel energy then use that "pre-existing" fel energy to create more fel energy.

I wonder what happens when warlocks sacrifice portions of their souls/life-forces...do they develop undead features or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Also...I consider fel/demonic energy a type of divine energy.
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-10-02 at 01:16 AM.

Deleted
    Soul is a type of life force/energy. One definition of life force in real life is "the soul" (the thing that animates, gives life to, stuff). Blood was referred to as life energy/force in WoW and Dave Kosak stated Chi, the Pandaren word for Spirit, is the life force that shamans manipulate. So it's clear to me that there is more than one type of life force.

Warlocks aren't actually destroying souls/life-forces, they're transferring them...or at least they can use fel energy to transfer souls/life-forces.

I figure, warlocks use Life Tap to create fel energy then use that "pre-existing" fel energy to create more fel energy.

I wonder what happens when warlocks sacrifice portions of their souls/life-forces...do they develop undead features or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Also...I consider fel/demonic energy a type of divine energy.
    warlocks definitely destroy the souls, I think you're right warlocks also use the life/chi/w/e stuff but they don't transfer anything, they destroy it, alongside the soul

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Fel

Jeremy Feasel on Twitter (2015-07-10). Retrieved on 2015-08-02. “This is one of the few things I think I know. Real Fel energy consumes souls, yes. Hence, soul shards.”
    Fel energy (or demonic energy) is a potent[2] magical energy which consumes souls[3] and burns life to create magic.

there is no such thing as pre existing fel, when a warlock uses life tap they sacrifice something of their own life force to create fel

fel exists only if you destroy lifeforce or a soul (they're not the same however, otherwise each time a warlock uses lifetap they'd destroy their own soul)

I think life force is the living being and its energy, the soul is what remains after death or after the life force has been used up (but that's pure speculation)

in a way warlock magic is both anti druid and anti priest magic, it's basically pure evil :P
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-10-04 at 05:39 AM.

warlocks definitely destroy the souls, I think you're right warlocks also use the life/chi/w/e stuff but they don't transfer anything, they destroy it, alongside the soul
    Warlocks don't have to destroy souls/life-forces though. Warlocks can store them, or at least portions of them, so they can use them later.

there is no such thing as pre existing fel, when a warlock uses life tap they sacrifice something of their own life force to create fel
    In the comic, it stated fel energy burns life to create magic. This means that you can't burn life to create magic if there isn't fel energy. There must be pre-existing fel energy.

There's also the fact that fel energy is not the same as fel magic, even though Loreology has mistakenly used the terms energy and magic interchangeably.

fel exists only if you destroy lifeforce or a soul (they're not the same however, otherwise each time a warlock uses lifetap they'd destroy their own soul)
    All soul energy is life force, not all life force is soul energy.

Blood was referred to as life force and Dave Kosak stated Chi, the Pandaren word for Spirit, is the life force shamans manipulate. There's more than one type of life force/energy.

The very definition of life force, or at least one definition of life force, is "the soul".

When a warlock uses Life Tap a portion of his/her life is taken and is turned into power. As per canon, warlocks have the ability to convert life force into rewards. If Life Tap takes a portion of the warlock's life and turns it into fel power then fel energy would literally be converted life force.

What are the ramifications of turning a portion of your own soul into fel power? I don't know, perhaps you gain undead features? Perhaps demonic features? Personally, the souls/life-forces of demons are in no sense perfectly attached/connected to them, portions of it were taken and twisted. Like undead the souls of demons are still there but aren't in a state of harmony with their bodies. Demons, imo, are no different from undead...but you know, Blizzard.

Demons can be undead though (Mannoroth anyone?)...it's just a matter of?

I think life force is the living being and its energy, the soul is what remains after death or after the life force has been used up (but that's pure speculation)
    Life force is the energy that animates anything that is animated. Blood and soul are both considered an animating force.

in a way warlock magic is both anti druid and anti priest magic, it's basically pure evil :P
    Evil is a point of view Anakin. =}

In one theory I came up with, fel energy was "created" by An'she, a part of the Earthmother (who would represent Life, the fifth element). As it came from "God", it is divine and cannot be "evil".

I consider the Light to be the manifestation of spiritual energy regardless of whether it comes from An'she, Elune, or the Naaru. In one creation myth, in the beginning there was the Light and the Void. Now, I don't consider the Void to be anything but a force that represents what happens, or what's there, when the Light, or a manifestation of spiritual energy, sacrificed a part of itself. I believe there was a single entity, the Earthmother, that represents simply Light. (According to the flavor text of a TCG card the Earthmother has more in common with the Light than we know).

The Sun, which burns, casts shadows and An'she is the soul/spirit of the Sun and sacrifices a part of himself per canon. Fel would be the burning shadow that An'she casts.

Warlocks, per cannon, channel the Fire and Brimstone (Sulfur) of hell. Fel seems to represents Brimstone/Sulfur, a Greenish-Yellow material which hellfire was believed to consist. The Greek word for brimstone/sulfur means divine and Fire and Brimstone (Sulfur) is an idiomatic expression of the torment the Christian God sends sinners, non-believers, etc. to.

I'm not stating that you do (but you might) consider God using brimstone/sulfur (Fel) to inflict eternal damnation as evil, or cruel, but as God is supreme, what he does isn't wrong. =]
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-10-05 at 01:20 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My 2cp on the subject.

Fel magic, arcane magic, nature magic, spiritual magic, light magic are all different power sources. What you do with them can overlap however.

An arcanist user can create fireballs to cast at his enemies. The same can be done by a fel user and a shaman elements).

A necromancer can either be a user o arcane magic or fel user. Looking at some troll tribes we can say that shaman could technically manipulate unead.

Examples:
    Pyromancer can be arcane, fel, elements.
    Hydromancer/Cryomancer again we see arcanists, elementalists, nature users able to use this.
    Necromancy can be wielded by arcane, fel and spirit.

TLDR:
    There are various power sources (arcane, fel, nature etc)
    What "class" you are isn't dictated by your power source however the source dictates how you accomplish this i.e. request/manipulation etc.
    Last edited by Firann; 2015-10-08 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firann View Post
    Fel magic, arcane magic, nature magic, spiritual magic, light magic are all different power sources. What you do with them can overlap however.
    They all use the same power source. Blizzard is just poorly attempting to confuse people though.

For instance, Dave Kosak stated that Chi, the Pandaren word for Spirit, is the life force that shamans manipulate. Mana in real life (and in Diablo) is a spiritual energy and is defined as a life force. Fel (demonic) energy is a twisted soul/spirit energy or life force (fel magic uses twisted souls as energy and in the comic a mage stated he'll use life force to power fel magic).

It's more like fel magic, arcane magic, nature magic, etc. all use the same power source (except void), they're just different flavors of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firann View Post
    What "class" you are isn't dictated by your power source however the source dictates how you accomplish this i.e. request/manipulation etc.
    I would state that class shouldn't be defined by power source more-so than the goal/intent of someone. To me, if a mage uses arcane energy to summon and command demons then that mage is a warlock.