Question New(ish) Holy Priest help - H HFC

Hello!

I recently joined a new guild and due to their already having a regular disc priest, I opted to switch to holy. I played disc for years so this was a bit of a switch.

I read up on it and got a little practice in and I'm still a bit rusty, but I am pretty sure I'm not doing something right.

Here are some logs:

One of our H Archimonde attempts:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports.../#type=healing

Fel Lord Zakuun:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...j#type=healing

Iskar:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&fight=25'

And my Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...efina/advanced

I feel like maybe I'm renewing too much, not PoMing enough, and I rarely use PoH, but I don't know if that's good or bad... Help!

I don't think your gear is great, you'll see an upgrade with 2pt17, likely even with 685 pieces (shoulders/hands). Don't overthink holy - Pom on cd, coh on cd, fill with renew. Playing SoL/DS with only 1660 spirit and a weapon proc for regen makes me think you should have mana issues on long fights. My reference is your 8min arch wipe. I'd presume mindbender Halo would be better. However, on that pull I don't see your mana dropping, so, perhaps you're not always casting.

Forgive any minor technical errors, but the pull I looked at showed you at 32.7 casts per minute. On my most recent arch pull I was at 48. A fel lord kill shows 38 and another arch shows 29 for you. While I'm not perfect or say that my style is optimal, I think there's a concern that you're not always casting. So, cast more and fix your UI so it's more intuitive to healing.

(Edits since doing this on phone is a mess)
    Last edited by Smight; 2015-10-07 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks - I am definitely needing some better gear, and started with less than optimal gear too. I plan to use 2pc T17 and 2pc T18, once I get them! I think you are right that I'm probably not casting enough. It was easy as disc to just pump out a bunch of shields but as holy I'm hitting a mental wall and don't like the idea of wasted renews... possibly because I am having mana issues.

So Surge of Light isn't something I should be running all the time? I mean once I'm comfortable with my spirit?

I think the surge choice is fight/comp dependent. If we underheal and I meter whore, I'd go surge/DS. With respect to renew, you can sustain renew spam without being concerned about mana. I find that glyphing binding heal over deep wells and relying on bh bh poh is my personal preference for those times where you want poh.

Quote Originally Posted by Smight View Post
    Don't overthink holy - Pom on cd, poh on cd, fill with renew
    Prayer of Mending on cooldown, Circle of Healing on cooldown, fill with Renew. Phones ...

Don't underestimate the power of the glyphed binding heal. And yeah, once you are confortable with your mana regen, go SoL/DS whenever you can.

I have around 2k spirit right now and run SoL full time. To whoever said PoH on CD above, I hope he meant CoH. Only use PoH in combination with CoH for really bursty aoe heals and only if you can afford it manawise, or simply never us it.

I'm not sure I like glyphed binding heal... is that a must have?

No its not mandatory by any means. If you find yourself using BH a lot then I would run it as it's additionally healing that you'll get. If your running into mana problems, drop the glyph and see how it feels without altering your play style.

Above, yea I meant coh, not poh - that should be clear. As for glyph of binding heal, I'd suggest using it. I disliked it at first and, after forcing myself to focus more on efficient BH use I really like the glyph. I wouldn't call it mandatory, but I think 'vastly superior' would work.

You can also argue that Glyph of CoH is mandatory depending on raid size/overhealing. Personally I run Glyph of Renew, Deep Wells and swap out BH/CoH depending on the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    You can also argue that Glyph of CoH is mandatory depending on raid size/overhealing. Personally I run Glyph of Renew, Deep Wells and swap out BH/CoH depending on the fight.
    I'd be very interested to know which HFC fights you switch, if you don't mind!

Well lets see.

Assault - you can run anything as it's fairly easy to heal. For progression I took BH glyph as we're split up most of the time and were chaining CD's when the bosses come out.

Reaver - CoH for artillery damage. You can drop out deep wells for BH if you want to run both, however with people spread out all over the place most of the time you're PoH won't hit all 5 people and I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Kormrok - CoH for sure, really helped out with healing during Pound. I ran BH, CoH, and Renew for this and was able to keep people topped off just fine.

Council - Deep Wells, CoH, Renew. Lots of healing to be done here and CoH shines quite nicely. Didn't need the BH glyph as I run DS + SoL for this and get plenty of serendipity stacks through that.

Killrog - Don't have time to stand still and cast BH then I need to (Death Throes) so went CoH.

Gorefiend - Depends on how you handle feast, I was fine with CoH for progression, but if we needed the extra healing, BH would have been fine.

Iskar - CoH hands down, lots of damage that can be healed up quickly. DS + SoL works great here as you can game the AoE cap from your range + melee stack groups.

Socrethar - CoH due to apocalypse. Outside of that, there really isn't to much damage going out.

Tyrant - CoH as the fight gets capped out for healing and BH would just be a waste/pad tool imo.

Fel Lord - CoH , BH, Renew Lots of damage and being able to burst heal with CoH, BH, BH, PoH was very nice

Xhul - CoH as the raid can be spread out for a lot of the fight. Damage ramp up until the last 20% as is.

Mannroth - CoH due to a lot of movement in the last phase.

Archimonde - CoH due to amount of movement and the lack of group damage rendering BH BH PoH slightly useless.

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    Well lets see.

Assault - you can run anything as it's fairly easy to heal. For progression I took BH glyph as we're split up most of the time and were chaining CD's when the bosses come out.

Reaver - CoH for artillery damage. You can drop out deep wells for BH if you want to run both, however with people spread out all over the place most of the time you're PoH won't hit all 5 people and I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Kormrok - CoH for sure, really helped out with healing during Pound. I ran BH, CoH, and Renew for this and was able to keep people topped off just fine.

Council - Deep Wells, CoH, Renew. Lots of healing to be done here and CoH shines quite nicely. Didn't need the BH glyph as I run DS + SoL for this and get plenty of serendipity stacks through that.

Killrog - Don't have time to stand still and cast BH then I need to (Death Throes) so went CoH.

Gorefiend - Depends on how you handle feast, I was fine with CoH for progression, but if we needed the extra healing, BH would have been fine.

Iskar - CoH hands down, lots of damage that can be healed up quickly. DS + SoL works great here as you can game the AoE cap from your range + melee stack groups.

Socrethar - CoH due to apocalypse. Outside of that, there really isn't to much damage going out.

Tyrant - CoH as the fight gets capped out for healing and BH would just be a waste/pad tool imo.

Fel Lord - CoH , BH, Renew Lots of damage and being able to burst heal with CoH, BH, BH, PoH was very nice

Xhul - CoH as the raid can be spread out for a lot of the fight. Damage ramp up until the last 20% as is.

Mannroth - CoH due to a lot of movement in the last phase.

Archimonde - CoH due to amount of movement and the lack of group damage rendering BH BH PoH slightly useless.
    Thank you, that is very useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    Thank you, that is very useful!
    Keep in mind, if you're raiding a smaller group (eg 10-15) the usefulness of Glyph of CoH diminishes. That doesn't necessarily mean that Glyph of BH is better, just that CoH will be overhealing more. In that situation I would recommend running Glyph of Fade for some personal damage reduction.

In my experience I do not feel a single fight warrants dropping glyph of COH. I would also believe that 2 charges / lightwell is not worth the binding heal glyph. The glyph that is most often swapped is bh for deep wells.

Really it's a matter of the kind of damage your raid is taking. If your raiders are consistently dropping below 50% then deep wells is always worth it as it will rarely overheal. BH is a great glyph and really makes me wish we could have 4 glyph spots.