Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Are you even allowed to get smashed at blizzcon?
    If you can't have a good time without the sauce...that's a pretty serious sign of alcoholism.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by brapbrap View Post
    I watched the opening ceremony last year I remember closing it disgusted, Mike Morhaime started talking about how people on the Internet should not be vile, while his own admins delete and close pacifist threads on the official forums which point out problems with their games
    Thanks for that slight chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Are you even allowed to get smashed at blizzcon?
    Yes because a party has to involve alcohol for it to be called a party. And no, alcohol and drugs are not allowed on the premises. Same with a lot of game events like Pax.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Lol, did Mike take your parking spot or something?
    He took mine but jokes on him, I don't even drive!

There's a thread on these boards showing all the promised or talked about content at BlizzCon which never appeared/was cut in game. It's tremendous.

So why go there? To listen to Metzen try to overhype a bunch of nothing? To be lied to and later disappointed? To feel the hype of your fellow delusioned watchers and wanting to believe Blizzard is going to release something amazing? Is it really going there out of joy or out of desire to see something real for once?

I watched the opening ceremony last year I remember closing it disgusted, Mike Morhaime started talking about how people on the Internet should not be vile, while his own admins delete and close pacifist threads on the official forums which point out problems with their games, and they kept showing this shot of a lady and her two 4-5 year old kids every time he used the words "we're a family". You're not my family Mike, if I had cancer I doubt you'd show up by my bedside. You don't even know my name.
    content gets cut, every expansion. the growth of social media has put a bigger magnifying glass on it but its always happened. and what do you think blizzcon is? its a giant advertisement for blizz aka hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, you mean they might have to remove things they PLANNED (not promised, stop being stupid) because things didn't go as they wanted? THOSE LIARS! BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Its called fun. Give it a try some time. You'll never believe despite what the live stream shows there is all kinds of fun to be had. And you'll never believe there is a giant city right outside as well with more fun things to do. But hey, its all about the panels and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Toijin View Post
    Explain to me this concept, is it like chicken INSIDE the waffle? or is the waffle folded over and chicken in the middle like a sandwich? Is it like creamy chicken or some sort of flavour? Because it might be a bit dry without some sauce.
    just some waffles served along side fried chicken. but it is oh so delicious. i personally put some syrup on the chicken! mmm mm good!

I never understood how people can take previews of beta content/content under development and take that has a signed contract that nothing will get cut/changed/removed upon release.

Do you get pissy when a scene/song is in a movie preview but doesn't end up in the final version/soundtrack?

Never, in the history of my time following Blizzard, have I seen them preview something/outline their plans for future features/etc and say "This is how it's going to be. We promise that this is what we will deliver." Hell, most of the time they even put up big disclaimers saying "beta footage" or "we'd like to/planning to/working on/hoping we can" to drive home the point that, while it's what they're shooting for, they can't promise that's how it will end up.

Not only that but Blizzard is no more guilty of this than most developers. There's plenty of developers that are even worse about it (hello Daikatana and the Fable series) yet I rarely see near as much hate and vitriol directed towards the worse offenders (which isn't to say they don't get some sent their way, which I have to point out because otherwise I'm sure someone will come in going "um actually.....".

In short, it's a convention for a gaming studio. There are PLENTY of reasons to go even outside of the announcements for WoW/other games. If you can't see what those reasons are then maybe it's time for you to move on?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Because Blizzcon is awesome and fun!

Besides, it sounds like you don't understand the development process that games go through. They aren't promising or guaranteeing you anything, they only show you their ideas, concepts, and what they're working on. Nothing is concrete and set in stone when it comes to the development process, that's just how game design is.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

I would go again and again as I owe my very own being today to Blizzard. You bet I will buy if they literally box a pile of shit and wrap it up and put in stores.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know I'm sick of quibbling over semantics; What's a promise and what's a plan. What's a commitment and what's wishy-washy lawyer-speak avoidance bullshit. Long delays and going dark for three months. Ghostcrawler vs now. etc etc.

If you put something up in front of 20,000 people on a giant bloody screen and say "this is the direction of the game" than normal, rational human beings can take that as the direction of the game. People are allowed to tell Blizzard repeatedly and vociferously that they didn't deliver what they said they were going to deliver.

Beyond that, why do people get jaded? White Knights put down your swords and Salty people put down your condiment shakers. The blunt reality is regardless of Blizzard answering to shareholders or being part of a larger company or having alternate revenue streams, for christ's sake... They had 10 million paying subscribers. They sold millions of $60 game boxes.

Blizzard are not subsisting on Kickstarter funds and they're not an indy developer. Blizzard are one of the most experienced AAA developers and publishers in existence today and yes, WoD was sloppy. It wasn't good enough. It wasn't up to the standard customers expect and as paying customers and recurring subscribers the community is entitled to two things:
    • A bloody explanation for why WoD was a such a monumental cock-up.
    • A concrete promise backed up with demonstrable evidence that this shit won't happen again.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

15+ Year Old Account
    The last Blizzcon was pretty bad in terms of what they announced versus what they delivered, but it isn't usually like that. I actually thoroughly enjoyed Cata and MOP, but with legion I don't know what to think.

Sig by Isilrien

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yes because a party has to involve alcohol for it to be called a party. And no, alcohol and drugs are not allowed on the premises. Same with a lot of game events like Pax.

- - - Updated - - -

He took mine but jokes on him, I don't even drive!
    Um... They have little mini bars all over the convention center....

I guess it all depends on why you go to Blizzcon. If you are going mainly to play some beta products and hang out with friends and meet other gamers/people then great. If you think its worth the cost of admission for that then more power to you.

IF you are going to get detailed info on your favorite game and that is all then I agree. You are stupid and are wasting money. You could hear the same lies and scrapped content features designed to create hype for free by pressing f5 in your web browser during blizzcon. And you could do it all without being so close to Metzen that you could see the coke residue under his nose.
    Last edited by Grishnok; 2015-10-14 at 04:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a thread on these boards showing all the promised or talked about content at BlizzCon which never appeared/was cut in game. It's tremendous.
    Actually, I saw that list and hardly any of it was "promised", it was planned for, but plans can sadly sometimes change. Learn the word.

So why go there? To listen to Metzen try to overhype a bunch of nothing? To be lied to and later disappointed? To feel the hype of your fellow delusioned watchers and wanting to believe Blizzard is going to release something amazing? Is it really going there out of joy or out of desire to see something real for once?
    Again, learn the word first. As well, if you get burnt on the kettle of boiling hype, that is your own fault. A company is all allowed to try and bring the hype up, it is called PR. As well, there is more at the BlizzCon than just World of Warcraft announcements.

I watched the opening ceremony last year I remember closing it disgusted, Mike Morhaime started talking about how people on the Internet should not be vile, while his own admins delete and close pacifist threads on the official forums which point out problems with their games, and they kept showing this shot of a lady and her two 4-5 year old kids every time he used the words "we're a family". You're not my family Mike, if I had cancer I doubt you'd show up by my bedside. You don't even know my name.
    Then don't watch it if you don't like it, simple. No one is forcing you, thought, don't look on the MMO-champion front page when things are announced there either, you might take it wrong.

And well, some of these "pacifist" threads weren't the best, and threads derail to a point where it has to be handled one way or the other. People can still openly talk about problems if it is constructive, or a feedback easily.

Well, he doesn't mean you are in real life, you know? And they don't have to be at your bedside, though if you lie ill, don't log on WoW then?

I mean, you seem really bothered, maybe it is time for a disconnection, burnt out of hype too much?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Rant threads never really end up being very constructive.

Closing this one. There are plenty of threads to discuss Blizzcon is you like.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."