10+ Year Old Account

[Resto] Unleash Elements?

Hey all, I'm starting to get back into the swing of Shaman healing, and I've got a few questions. I read IcyVeins' guide, and it didn't really touch on any of this stuff, and it seems like the Resto guide on here is out of date, so any help would be much appreciated.

1) Should I be using Unleash Elements on CD or saving it for a specific time. And if I'm supposed to be using it on CD, is there a quick way to macro it into my heals? I'm using Vuhdo as my healing interface.

2) How do I effectively make use of Elemental Blast? Just in reacquainting myself to Resto while healing LFR and dungeons, I have a pitiful uptime on Elemental Blast. Or, should I be using another 6-tier talent? I don't have any t18 gear, so I don't know what the best choice for me is since everything that I've read says having t18 and Elemental Blast are mandatory.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hshaman/simple

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthburt View Post
    Hey all, I'm starting to get back into the swing of Shaman healing, and I've got a few questions. I read IcyVeins' guide, and it didn't really touch on any of this stuff, and it seems like the Resto guide on here is out of date, so any help would be much appreciated.

1) Should I be using Unleash Elements on CD or saving it for a specific time. And if I'm supposed to be using it on CD, is there a quick way to macro it into my heals? I'm using Vuhdo as my healing interface.

2) How do I effectively make use of Elemental Blast? Just in reacquainting myself to Resto while healing LFR and dungeons, I have a pitiful uptime on Elemental Blast. Or, should I be using another 6-tier talent? I don't have any t18 gear, so I don't know what the best choice for me is since everything that I've read says having t18 and Elemental Blast are mandatory.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hshaman/simple
    Yea pop it on CD, always. And obviously if you have to move out of something that's gonna kill you, use it for that, or wait until the oppertune moment. Now once again, don't stand around for 1 min knowing that something is coming up, waiting and NOT using this and saving it for that moment, then that's a HPS loss(or someone just died cause of it). If it's off cd and you just realize in a split second "FUCK! have to move" then use it.

As for EB, when your healing rain and UE are on a CD and no one is taking insane dmg or is dying, use it. Or whenever you have a few sec of downtime, use it. You should always prio keeping people alive, no matter what...but if ur confident u can cast this cause u REALLY need mana and no one is gonna die, then use it. Or if there is crazy ability nr.1 inc on tank, no one else is taking dmg, pop UE > EB and start spam healing the tank, kinda to not waste so much mana. Something you'll have to "feel" while in the raid, but as I said...always prio keeping people alive over any of these abilities, if you wanna be a good healer. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthburt View Post
    It's mostly used for its speed boost, or casted pre-emptively before a damage spike. Don't macro it, and don't delay casting other healing spells to cast unleash if healing is needed *now*. Not only the target player may die or be topped off if you delay your healing, it's also not much of a HPS or mana gain if you cast it and delay other spells (unless you also take the Unleashed Fury talent, which isn't usually taken).

Without Unleashed Fury, Unleash Elements costs Unleash costs 2176 mana and buffs the next healing wave/healing surge/chain heal by 30%.

Healing Wave costs 3312 mana, therefore it's a very bad to delay healing wave to use unleash since unleash costs 65% the mana of healing wave, and only improves its healing by 30%, so you're better off casting two healing waves instead of unleash + healing wave.

Healing surge costs 6624 mana. Unleash is 33% the mana cost and improves healing surge by 30% so again it's not worth it mana wise.

Chain heal costs 8960 mana, therefore there it's a slight mana gain, since unleash is 24% the mana cost of chain heal, while buffs it by 30%.

You can use unleash pre-preemptively to get the buff in anticipation of damage.

Yes, elemental blast is the default talent. The 1000 spirit is just too much to give up, especially when undergeared. You can use a weakaura to remind you to cast it, but mainly it just takes time getting used to it.

Primal elementalist gives you temporary +10% healing / 20% damage reduction using the fire elemental empower and earth elemental reinforce spells. It's typically taken to boost your heals when you're geared and mana is no longer an issue.

Unleashed Fury is useful in dungeons, since there you can drink to get full mana after each trash pack (assuming the group doesn't chain pull), and the boss encounters are shorter than in raids, so mana isn't a big issue. With Unleashed Fury, unleash elements boosts healing wave and healing surge by 95% (1.5*1.3) instead of 30%, and in this case casting it with healing surge is now mana efficient, since unleash costs 33% the mana of healing surge and will now boost it by 95%. This can be useful to pre-cast for huge tank heals when you're the only healer.

Just gonna chime in with my Ele Blast macro that I find very useful.

#showtooltip
    /cast [@focus,exists] Elemental Blast
    /cast [@mouseovertarget,exists] Elemental Blast
    /cast Elemental Blast

So this will attempt to cast it at your focus if you have one (I always focus the boss, If you focus a friendly target this will break the macro and it won't cast anything until you clear focus or focus an enemy)
    If you have no focus it will cast it on your mouser's target (will get the cast off on pretty much anyone who isn't a healer)
    and for the last part it will just cast Elemental Blast at your target. (you have to be holding down leftclick so you don't have a cursor or else it will keep saying you are not mouseover anyone right now).

Hi Sephurik

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@focus,exists] Elemental Blast
    /cast [@mouseovertarget,exists] Elemental Blast
    /cast Elemental Blast
    Shortened it for you:

#showtooltip
    /use [@focus,exists][@mouseovertarget,exists][] Elemental Blast

@LuthWoW - Signature by Reignisevil

Deleted
    UF should generally only be cast as a movement speed. Use it instead of ghost wolf for example. Just to copy from chainheal.com:
    This will give you 30% increased effectiveness on your next single target heal, and additionally it will give you Enhanced Unleash, which is going to make this spell valuable. You don’t really want to cast this spell in a stationary position, because it isn’t as strong as casting any other heal. This means that you want to pop it simply to get the movement speed increase. Should be used over Ghost Wolf, if this alone provides enough speed to move out of the way. It will provide you with the required movement speed with one global cooldown and still unleash your next heal.
    I maco´d my Eb into healing wave. Mouseovering a person in vuhdo casts healing wave and targeting boss (wich i always do) without any mouseover casts EB. Just make sure you got a good Weakaura/Tellmewhen. If the current WA/TMW doesn´t give you a better uptime then get a new one. Theres nothing worse then a useless WA/TMW

If you are in search of more up to date resto guide and any tips/info then i would greatly recommend chainheal.com
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2016-02-08 at 11:55 AM.

8/13m Resto chiming in.

I use unleash mainly for the speed boost. It's almost never worth casting for the 30% increase, you're better off just casting another spell during that time. That said, it's instant, so cast it while moving!

Unless someone's about to die, I ele blast on cooldown. Sometimes during intense phases, it's ok to let it sit off cd for a few seconds, but be vigilant about it to maximize uptime (and therefor spirit gain). Checking logs, over 20 wipes on Tyrant I had 31% uptime.